Sign in to follow this  
tony2657

E28 central locking problem

My 03/1983 e28 is fitted with a Dynatron alarm with immobiliser and, until recently, my central locking worked just fine. The remote is supposed to lock all the doors and set the alarm with one button push.

Suddenly it has stopped working as it should. The remote still sets the alarm, but won't lock the doors. Instead all the pins (except the driver's door pin) drop, then spring back up again. The driver's door pin doesn't move. The same thing happens when I use the key on the passenger side or from the boot; the pins all drop (except the driver's door) then spring back up again.

However when I use the key in the driver's door the doors all lock and stay locked, and then unlock again.

Also, if I lock the car using the key from the driver's door and then try to unlock it using the remote, everything unlocks except the driver's door.

One other interesting thing I notice is when I use the key in the driver's door the other doors and boot lock (electrically) when the key is about 3/4 turned, but the driver's doors doesn't lock until the key is fully turned. Seems to me the driver's door is only locking mechanically.

I have taken the car to the alarm installer and to the local BMW franchise dealer and both are scratching their heads. BMW tells me it's probably old corroded wiring not carrying sufficent charge to the driver's door to tell it to lock/unlock. The alarm installer reckons it might be a motor in the driver's door.

I am starting to see big $ signs. Any help would be appreciated.

faulty/worn out locking actuator in the drivers door.

about $40 for a 2nd hand one

faulty/worn out locking actuator in the drivers door.

about $40 for a 2nd hand one

Thanks Brent. Just as well I asked or local BMW would have had me paying for a new wiring loom!!!! I'll give you a call.

If anyone can help me with this part I'd be grateful. The solenoid/actuator I want should have letters 'TV' stamped on the face in large white letters. Bentley manual says driver door and front passenger door actuators are interchangeable.

If anyone can help me with this part I'd be grateful. The solenoid/actuator I want should have letters 'TV' stamped on the face in large white letters. Bentley manual says driver door and front passenger door actuators are interchangeable.

Hey mate does it have a part number I have two sets of doors locks for an e28. May have what you need.

Hey mate does it have a part number I have two sets of doors locks for an e28. May have what you need.

I need the central locking solenoid/actuator. Looks like in this photo except needs to have letters TV on it (not HE)

post-5163-1347342983.jpg

I need the central locking solenoid/actuator. Looks like in this photo except needs to have letters TV on it (not HE)

Managed to buy one off ebay for $80. All fixed.

On 9/11/2012 at 1:17 PM, tcbaurpower said:

Have you still got the E28 actuators? Im after two front left and front Right. My contact is 02102442242

• Like 1