Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

Hi all,

I bought this car as a daily driver a couple of months ago from Team Mac, and have been learning a bit about it and chipping away at a few things since. The plan is to go to BMW driver training and learn how to drive it properly, then attend some track days. I'm more than happy with the performance and have a bit of a 'wish list' for future parts. Having come from owning a variety of Hondas (and an Audi), it's nice to pick up a car that requires next to no modifications to perform...! The paint is in great condition, and overall the car has been well looked after for it's 77,000kms.

Posted Image

The first things on the list to replace were the wheels & tyres. It came on a set of 20" rims, which gave the car a bit of a 'rollerskate' look that didn't really grow on me. Plus, the ride was quite firm for a daily on 25 profile tyres. The rears were 10.5in wide, and just fit inside the flared guards - although it looked great from behind, it simply wasn't practical.

Posted Image

It also came on H&R springs, and AFAIK standard shocks - may look into replacing the rear shocks. I picked up a set of 19's in CSL-size staggered fitment (apparently the best standard fitment), and on they went.

Posted Image

Comparison:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The front kidney grill was already a black-paint item, so that saved me replacement parts. I inherited a fitting p-plate shortly afterwards, which used to reside on a family member's Z3M Coupe.

Posted Image

The muffler is branded as 'Supersprint' - turns out to be a pretty good piece of kit. I was initially keen to change however have grown to like it. The only complaint is that it makes a bloody racket when it's cold, but that doesn't last too long I suppose. Excuse the residual crap on the tailpipes in the pic below

Posted Image

I want to keep the car standard engine-wise, mainly due to the extended warranty I picked up (and the fact it can out-perform my ability currently). I have noticed there are some subtle nice aftermarket aesthetic parts that can be acquired from Oz, so keen to hear from anyone that imports bits and pieces. I want to stay away from the glaringly obvious carbon fibre bits like bonnet and boot (no offence intended to anyone that has these, it's just not the look I'm going for).

Wish list (in no particular order):

- Replace the standard clutch-stop with an adjustable item

- Fit a bloody euro-sized plinth thing for the front number place - Bought, need to paint and mount when I get a sunny arvo.

- Replace rear lip spoiler with carbon (style) lip - Not 100% sure whether I want to do this or not, it's lying in my garage at the mo'.

- Carbon front lip (direct bolt-on/off) - Mainly to save the paint at the bottom of the front bumper... it'll probably cost almost as much to repaint the bumper cover as to purchase the aftermarket lip spoiler.

- Replace fog lights with HID items.

- Replace rear shocks (a top aftermarket brand is apparently the best option here)

- Hard wire in a radar detector of some description

- Carbon rear diffuser (replacement part)

- Re-cover touch surfaces. There's a couple of little chips off the steering wheel, and I don't want the driver's armrest to wear. I'm pretty picky tho, so this is down the list.

- CSL airbox (in the distant future, chances are I won't go this way however. They're freaken expensive)

And that's about it. Not a 'build thread' as such, as there's no real building going on. I'll update as I install bits and pieces. Suggestions and comments are most welcome.

Edited by CSET
  • Like 4

Genuine LM's?

Genuinely fake. Pretty sure the centre caps are real, however. That's gotta count for something.

Couldn't find real ones in the right fitment

Edited by CSET

Hi, Nice looking and I really like that it has the sun roof.

If it was mine I would be buying some original wheels but that is entirely your personal choice.

All the best with the M.

Dave.

Great looking car! Love the colour and it looks to be bloody mint, very jealous.

If you look at tracking it I would recommend a second set of wheels, possibly the OEM 18's and some decent tyres, those new wheels and tyres may not like corners and rumble strips/guttering.

Good advice on the wheels thanks 87m3@nz and apex - unfortunately the dealer didn't have the standard rims available when I bought it. As an aside, I randomly ran into the first owner the other day - lives in oz now, gave me some good background on the car. Glad to hear it has been well looked after.

Will most likely retain the current wheels/tyres for the odd track day - whilst I appreciate it'll handle better with larger profile tyres I'm not looking to set any land speed records.

Isis - team Mac really looked after me, shame the chap I dealt with is no longer around, but Andrew is a legend.

I think we may have a carbon front lip lying around at work if you are still after one?

Guest Ari Gold

Isis - team Mac really looked after me, shame the chap I dealt with is no longer around, but Andrew is a legend.

It's always nice to hear comments like this, as so often "stealers" get given treatment more akin to the public deciding Ewen McDonald's fate.

I think we may have a carbon front lip lying around at work if you are still after one?

I most certainly am - please give me a call (or PM me your number) 021 832 609

Will see if I can find it tomorrow, unsure of its condition but will let you know.

Will see if I can find it tomorrow, unsure of its condition but will let you know.

Okay thanks - will look forward to hearing from you

Seriously nice looking M3. looking forward to your updates.

In terms of hard wired safety devices there is a nice install for BMW's. Fits into your rearview mirror and headrest.

http://www.radar-mirror.com/Gallery.html

Wow, what a great piece of kit! Thanks Neal, I didn't know those existed!

Thats an awesome looking M3, love the colour! I've just bought one too and it looks like we have the same kind of ideas for our cars.

If you ever consider selling the wheels it came on PM me as I would be interested!

Here you go Christian, few scuff marks as normal really.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here you go Christian, few scuff marks as normal really.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks good thanks Greg. Can you please pm me your details and we can sort out logistics etc.

Thats an awesome looking M3, love the colour! I've just bought one too and it looks like we have the same kind of ideas for our cars.

If you ever consider selling the wheels it came on PM me as I would be interested!

Hi mate, thanks very much, and congratations on your purchase!

The 20's are in my garage at the mo' gathering dust - will pm you my number, you're most welcome to come by and have a look.

I ran too many pounds of Vtec, and the floorplate fell off. Off to the mad scientists.

Posted Image

On the plus side, I have a few updates on the wish list:

- Replace the standard clutch-stop with an adjustable item - Mine surprisingly isn't broken. I just assumed it was, given most are.

- Fit a bloody euro-sized plinth thing for the front number place - Bought, need to paint and mount when I get a sunny arvo. - Done

- Replace rear lip spoiler with carbon (style) lip - Not 100% sure whether I want to do this or not, it's lying in my garage at the mo'. - Not doing this anymore, I'm happy with the standard item.

- Carbon front lip (direct bolt-on/off) - This one looks to be in the bag, will post up pics once received

- Replace fog lights with HID items. - They're fog lights, I can't be assed.

- Replace rear shocks - Shocks are good for now, will retain until they need replacing.

- Hard wire in a radar detector of some description

- Carbon rear diffuser (replacement part) - Sent a couple of requests for options

- Re-cover touch surfaces. There's a couple of little chips off the steering wheel, and I don't want the driver's armrest to wear. I'm pretty picky tho, so this is down the list.

- CSL airbox (in the distant future, chances are I won't go this way however. They're freaken expensive) - Sent a couple of requests for options. Looks like Simota is much more cost-effective, but doubt it'd do much apart from make a racket. Not sold just yet.

What did you do?

As per PM the lip is on route.

What did you do?

As per PM the lip is on route.

Thank you very much Greg.

Intermittent cold start issue, suspected worn starter motor. The boffins at Team Mac are onto it.

I do have a soft spot for e46 M3s, especially in silver! Very nice

I do have a soft spot for e46 M3s, especially in silver! Very nice

Me too :D

Hope to get it back today, will spend some time in the garage tonight and trial fit the new lip - thanks again Greg!

As an aside, I've developed a liking for the 118d I have in the meantime... not something I would've expected... but it's just so easy to drive/park/don't have to worry about it! Maybe wouldn't pick the 'modern', but beggers can't be choosers...

Edit; and aside #2 I had the pleasure of driving an e36 M-Coupe in the weekend. I've been looking forward to driving one for comparison purposes. It feels like a completely different car - everything from the power delivery to the handling characteristics feels worlds apart. The latter is understandable due to the different chassis & weight, but the former was a bit of a shock. It does kind of make sense, but would've thought they'd compare given similar engine and generation. Surpising.

Edited by CSET