Sign in to follow this  
CSET

M TOY M3

Said it once, I'll say it again. This colour is incredible.

Also really suits the E39 M5 IMO:

95778d1262479398-center-bearing-drivesha

I delivered the CSL rims this morning to get the new tyres on - fitment hopefully tomorrow morning (all things well & good)! I'm hoping the combination of light silver wheels on dark grey paint is going to look how I imagine - they're a bit lighter than the M5 wheels above. I'm a bit nervous to be honest.

I think you have nothing to worry about. Wheels are going to look great and probably better than you imagined

The CSL wheels and mad tyres are on, and looking great! Nick & the team at Platinum Wheels did a great job, and provided great advice. Keep an eye on their website gallery, as Nick took some better photos this morning http://www.platinumwheels.co.nz/gallery/category/9-bmw

BBSCSL3_zps1a1ecb1a.jpg

BBSCSL1_zps584cf5e7.jpg

The black gills turned up last night too (thanks FedEx!) so I fitted them on with a spare set of OEM badges. No more chrome:

ShadowlineGills_zpsfabe8bab.jpg

Yep. I knew it. Wheels look super good. And the black grill too. Only thing I wana nitpick is those bullet hole stickers. The other ones look cool but bullet hole ones are just meh

Yep. I knew it. Wheels look super good. And the black grill too. Only thing I wana nitpick is those bullet hole stickers. The other ones look cool but bullet hole ones are just meh

Haha thanks mate, yeah I agree about the bullet holes - they fitted the rally theme well, now they can go (along with the rest of the sponsor decals).

Nice on the CSL rims!

Those LM's (or LM reps?) don't look very wide - what were they out of curiosity?

Nice on the CSL rims!

Those LM's (or LM reps?) don't look very wide - what were they out of curiosity?

They look quite thin in that pic above huh - Funnily enough, they are the same width as the CSL's (8.5in front 9.5in rear). The tyres are 235 and 275 respectively.

I dunno, theres probably merit in at least leaving the VW ones on the girl for a bit longer I woulda thought.............. :D

Haha the only ourcome I can foresee is a nice big scratch down the door from a grumpy VW owner! :D

• Like 1

They look quite thin in that pic above huh - Funnily enough, they are the same width as the CSL's (8.5in front 9.5in rear). The tyres are 235 and 275 respectively.

Yeah looking at the pic I though 7's and 8's!

Haha the only ourcome I can foresee is a nice big scratch down the door from a grumpy VW owner! :D

Ahh, true - Dubby owners might be sensitive to feeling anti-love..................

Looking forward to seeing some other pics of the new rims........................

Those wheels look way better IMHO. Spotted your car on Facebook didn't recognize your car, you must be mates with Jay!

+1 on the colour, my car is the same grey and apart from silver it has to be the best colour I have had, it looks good even after a week of driving yet still looks nice when waxed up.

• Like 1

Those wheels look way better IMHO. Spotted your car on Facebook didn't recognize your car, you must be mates with Jay!

+1 on the colour, my car is the same grey and apart from silver it has to be the best colour I have had, it looks good even after a week of driving yet still looks nice when waxed up.

Yep, met Jay at the Gumboot Rally - small world! Agree on the colour; my daily is a lighter shade of silver (the standard light Toyota silver) - and stays a bit cleaner, but can't beat the grey for looks!

Where would I be able to source some CSL wheels ?

Looking forward to new pics! CSL wheels look great. Perhaps some spacers? :P

Yeah Christian - my PM probably put you off but worth putting on your list - spacers are good

post-3258-0-85947700-1381469687.jpg

Edited by central3

^^^ NOM NOM! Looks awesome mate! I actually may need spacers after all... there's a slight metallic rubbing noise coming from the front left; however I pulled the wheel off and checked everything out, there's nothing touching... The stone guard was quite close so I bent it a little, with no result. Hmm. May be coming from the rear.

On the plus side I found a use for the old wheels :D

20131012_102753_zps9237481c.jpg

There's a break in the weather, perfect photo opp! Off to the park. I took most of the decals off last night, have left the banner, German crosses & lettering on the bumper at this stage:

20131012_100028_zpsc419257c.jpg

20131012_100009_zps77619215.jpg

20131012_100127_zpsc8bf6616.jpg

The BBS's, or the faux-BBS's? One set is for sale, the other not so much! :D

Hi all,

The ZCP knob and gearboot turned up yesterday, so I went about removing the M5 gearknob and fitting it in. My what a difference! The throw is a heap shorter, and feels a lot more solid. The standard shifter height (shared by the M5) is a lot taller, and as such the pivot is longer. Anyway, photos.

Here’s the OEM M5 shifter height:

M5GK1_zps533dcd42.jpg

M5GK2_zpse6348490.jpg

I remember doing this patching (don't worry I removed all the insulation before this pic…). The M5 shifter wiring doesn’t fit with the OEM e46 M3 light wiring, and requires a little work. Have a look earlier my thread for the how-to. As the ZCP gearknob doesn’t have a light, I don’t need to worry about this.

Patchingforlight_zps16cc611d.jpg

The package as it showed up – Alcantara gearboot & ZCP knob. These are two separate items, allowing interchangeable parts. The OEM M5 and M3 shifters are one piece including the boot.

1Unboxing_zpsc5e27168.jpg

When removing your current gearknob DO NOT PRY UP THE CENTRE CONSOLE. The gearknob surround pops up from a little pressure inside; between the knob and the console with the window switches. If you try to pry up the console, you’re going to have a bad time (it’s screwed in from under the surround).

I notice a slight issue…

2Surround_zps0f38c540.jpg

3SurroundCompare_zpse5b3f1f6.jpg

The surround provided with the Alcantara boot is for the ZCP, a US-spec E46 M3 option. As such, it’s made for LHD cars. Replace with your original plastic surround (it’s the same size, different orientation). A little superglue should hold it in place:

4Superglue_zps99ac5fcf.jpg

When the superglue doesn’t work, use this, but be really careful not to spill any on the fabric! I went through 3 sets of gloves to make sure:

5Selleys_zpsd698d061.jpg

Huzzah! The surround should mount flush into place. It’s held in by plastic clips, so a gently amount of pressure should ‘pop’ it into place in each of the corners.

7SurroundMounted_zps3959a27f.jpg

The gearknob should also pop into place, requires a bit more pressure:

8GearknobMounted_zps6e613ca4.jpg

The throw (much shorter):

9Throwin4th_zpsda21026f.jpg

A direct comparison:

GKComparison_zpsd3439c88.jpg

I also had some lights installed in the garage, as I couldn’t do much work on the cars after dark unless covered in LED torches. I opted to go a bit more on the bright side rather than risk it still being dim. 8x daytime halogens later:

Garage_zpsb08945ad.jpg