Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

First Look at 2014 BMW 4 Series

Posted Image

It's been months since we last spied the 2014 4 Series (F32) Coupe, but here it is, in production form and nearly fully uncovered! What we see is a sleek sports coupe version of the F30 sedan which resembles a smaller 6 Series. This particular 4 Series coupe was captured while being loaded to be transported to an internal presentation. And yes, we are now certain that it will come to market as the "4 Series."

BODY

Compared to the current E92 3 Series coupe, the F32 features a sleeker roofline with a more fastback shaped tail end (though not nearly as dramatic as something like the Audi A7). The rear quarter windows have been elongated and end beautifully a more angular and sleeker hofmeister kink. See the comparison photo below between the F32 and E92 side profiles.

The most prominent styling embellishment visible so far is the front quarter panel vent, which not only adds a sporty visual flair, but also appears to be an actual functional vent. The F32 shares the same side mirrors as the F30.

This is a 435i (or 440i) Sport Line model and the visible parts of the front bumper show differences from the F30 Sport Line front bumper. There is a more prominent center U shaped trim piece which dips down from the inside of the air vents and forms a prominent lip below the license plate area. It also looks to be either black or carbon fiber. We've circled it in a close up image below.

As for the kidney grilles, we have already seen what shape the F32's kidney grilles will take (see previous spy photo). They will be wider and sleeker shaped compared to the F30 sedan. The headlights are expected to be a sleeker version of the F30 headlights, and also connecting with the grilles, as on the F30.

This car wears 19" M Sport Wheels (Style 403M) and runs 225 tires up front with 255 rear tires. The F32 435i/440i's brakes match that of the F30 335i - fixed M Sport calipers in front (4 piston) and floating rear calipers (1 piston).

POWERTRAIN

The 428i Coupe and Convertible will be powered by the same 2.0L twin turbo inline 4 as the F30, but the 435i (or 440i) may very well usher in the successor to the current N55 twin turbo inline 6 engine. Both engines will be available with either a manual transmission or 8-speed automatic, and both should also be available with xDrive.

TIMELINE

The F32 4 Series Coupe will begin production in July 2013 and the F33 Convertible's production will follow in November 2013. A concept 4 Series is reportedly headed for the 2013 Detroit Auto Show in January.

4 SERIES LINEUP

The 4 Series is the coupe variant to the current F30 3 Series sedan. There will no longer be a "3 Series Coupe" model. It should be positioned and priced in lineup just as the 6 Series Coupe is positioned in the 5/6 Series lineup.

Joining the F32 4 Series coupe and F33 4 Series convertible will be a four door "coupe" styled variant to be called 4 Series Gran Coupe (the F36) which should be positioned and priced in lineup just as the 6 Series Gran Coupe is positioned in the 5/6 Series lineup. See our recent spy photos of the F36.

There will be an M4 (F82) version based off the 4 Series coupe and there will also surely be M Performance Automobiles spawned off the F30 3 Series and F32 4 Series lineups (in the form of M335i, M435i, M340i, or M440i, etc..)

With the introduction of these models, the following will be the future 3/4 Series:

Summary:

F30 = 3 Series Sedan

F31 = 3 Series Touring

F32 = 4 Series Coupe

F33 = 4 Series Convertible

F34 = 3 Series GT

F35 = 3 Series Li (Long Wheelbase)

F36 = 4 Series Gran Coupe

More info here

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767418

This is going to be a good looking car, look forward to seeing it in January.

Shoot me for saying but the current 3 series is the only good looking new BMW IMHO, a coupe can only be hansom, I hope it is as sexy as the E46 Coupe was when launched.

So this car will be rivaling the CLK class or C Class coupe I guess. Seems to be looking good!

What I can see looks good... I might just be able to afford one by the time I don't need room for kids and their crap anymore.

@apex How is this not a good looking? Posted Image

Though admit the back looks a lot better than the front.

Sorry mate, they have lost it for me, its just my opinion, I love the look of a new Jag and admire Audi's brand recognition, to me BMW lost it years ago, there is no longer a good design language thought the range, they are all over the place and certain elements are just plain weird, its not cohesive, you can almost take bits from models and build a decent looking BMW but not one stands out that great on its own other than the three series. They are no longer stand out cars.

Its just my opinion and I an no designer and to be honest I am constantly told the cars I choose to spend money on are ugly so I am hardly driving and Aston and pooh poohing BMW, I just feel they have got a bit messy with things.

Guest Simon*

WHY .......... can't it just be a 3 series coupe????????

That's all it is surely? Why introduce the "4 series"???

This will really complete the new BMW line up.

Oh, how I wish this were the case... the line up over the next couple of years is going to be exploding with new series, not just replacing out going ranges but completely new models as well. Not to mention more and more engine options, hybrids, fully electric, etc.

Even if we only get half the new models in NZ the range will still be mind-boggling to choose from. To try and make sense of all the models, the numbering system is being extended, to give an idea of where they sit in the overall picture. Still stuggling to get my head around an M4 though...

Sorry mate, they have lost it for me, its just my opinion, I love the look of a new Jag and admire Audi's brand recognition, to me BMW lost it years ago, there is no longer a good design language thought the range, they are all over the place and certain elements are just plain weird, its not cohesive, you can almost take bits from models and build a decent looking BMW but not one stands out that great on its own other than the three series. They are no longer stand out cars.

Its just my opinion and I an no designer and to be honest I am constantly told the cars I choose to spend money on are ugly so I am hardly driving and Aston and pooh poohing BMW, I just feel they have got a bit messy with things.

could not agree more

to show you are superior to 3 series owners but not a big car like a 5 i guess

I agree that the previous batch (E60, E90, etc) were seriously off the boil but I think the new ones are looking pretty good - especially the rear view. The bonnet and front end are still pretty fugly - somebody told me that's to do with pedestrian safety but that sounds like balls to me - as you say, Astons, Audis, etc don't seem to have any problems making safe, attractive hoods.

They haven't eclipsed the looks of the E39 and E46 though - so I guess you are right!

The body is 100% different than he 3 Series so it will stand alone, much like Audi have the 5 and Merc have the CLK.

Its part of BMW's plan, cant remember the name they gave it, something to do with city or town or something, its a future business plan.

The business want to sell a lot more cars and there will be a stupid amount of models available before 2020.

Mini, 3-door, Clubman, Vert, Coupe

Mini Countryman crossover

Mini 5-Door in the next couple of years, this will be a Golf sized Mini. ?

1 Series

2 Series Coupe, Vert

3 Series, Touring and Lift back veraitions

4 Series Coupe, Vert

5 Series Touring and Lift back veraitions

6 Series Coupe, vert and Lift-back plus no doubt a shooting break

7 Series

Z4

X1

X3

X5

X6

They are also going to release more hybrid tech over the next five years.

In the world market they have to build so many models and sub models just to compete with Audi and Mercedes if they want to keep up, not sure its a good thing for the purists but they will sell lots of cars.

:mellow:

Might aswell bring out a 9 series to complete the numbers. 1-9

Edited by E46

I agree to an extent, but think they are finally getting back on track.

After all the Bangle years were when it started to go wrong.

The business want to sell a lot more cars and there will be a stupid amount of models available before 2020.

Very well put! BMW is a "niche" manufacturer and not a mass producer, best way to increase sales is to develop more niche vehicles. 1, 3, X1, X5 will still be the mainstream models, the rest are incremental volumes on top of that.

There are a few models missing from your list:

MINI Paceman (3 door version of the Countryman) is most likely coming to NZ

The two plug-in electric i models - i3 & i8 are probably coming.

Plus lots more probable, possible and maybes.

You said it first in a earlier post, I was just reiterating.

A three door countryman, who asked Mini for that?

Spotted a Coupe the other day and it looked so cool amongst the boring Auckland traffic.

I agree to an extent, but think they are finally getting back on track.

After all the Bangle years were when it started to go wrong.

Its hard to pin point when things started going wrong but up until the 90's BMW had a design language and cars were recognizable as a BMW (bar the M1 and Z1), model to model you could see a massive amount of similarities.

I just think Audi and Mercedes have the upper-hand with model to model design language, both have kept their brand image in tact and each generation is a nice evolution of the last, they also seem to release each new model in a timely fashion.

This new F30 BMW has a great front end on it, to me it harks back to the 80's shark nose cars that I love, the grill treatment and headlights look awesome, if they can go forward and bring each new model out with that front end they could be onto something.

I would like to see the 1 and 6 series with the new F30 front on them, both are not bad looking cars from the front wheels back.

I find the 2010-11 audi resemble the exact same rear as a 3 series coupe/convertible.

Its hard to pin point when things started going wrong but up until the 90's BMW had a design language and cars were recognizable as a BMW (bar the M1 and Z1), model to model you could see a massive amount of similarities.

I just think Audi and Mercedes have the upper-hand with model to model design language, both have kept their brand image in tact and each generation is a nice evolution of the last, they also seem to release each new model in a timely fashion.

This new F30 BMW has a great front end on it, to me it harks back to the 80's shark nose cars that I love, the grill treatment and headlights look awesome, if they can go forward and bring each new model out with that front end they could be onto something.

I would like to see the 1 and 6 series with the new F30 front on them, both are not bad looking cars from the front wheels back.

Couldn't agree more with what you said there!

I think I have a new favorite BMW.

That is perfection!

Loving the general shape.

Are those wood-marbled A pillars? It does look nice and snug inside the cabin, and those wheels...! Awesome :D

Edited by CSET

It’s definitely a return to form for BMW, let’s just forget the last generation and pretend this was a transition from the E46 Coupe.

The M4 is going to be awesome!!

The goldern days of BMW design have defanitely been well and truely stomped out over the past 5 years. IT will take a new head of design for that to happen. The BMW board wanted to make a statement when the hired Chris Bangel .. it might have been a little too much change for the conservative car manufacture. When Van Hooydnk was hired, he had a simple design portfolio from the board, evolution not revolution. Which is why some of these cars are starting to look very same same.

At least theyre not heading in Mazda's way of doing things where everything looks like a manga cartoon.