Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Project: The Unfamily Wagon

Meet Monty. A neglected E36 wagon who has lived a hard life. Until now as its time he got a make over.

Posted Image

I picked it up off Trademe towards the end of last year and my girlfriend and I drove it down from Auckalnd. It was a bit rougher than I thought but for the price, I couldn't really complain. First thing we noticed as that it handled like a whale due to the fact the front shocks were leaking which made the drive down ever so scary at times, so they where quickly replaced. The right rear had taken a knock from an elderly gentleman in a supermarket and had smashed the tail light. Went brand new as I couldnt find one in NZ and ten days later, one arrived from Scheidemann. Bar a small power steering leak, he fly through a WOF.

First thing was to give it really good clean to see exactly what I was dealing with. The paint has countless scratches and it looks like someone has tried to chew the passengers guard :unsure: not to mention golf ball size dents. Interior is rough in places, yet mint in others like the boot. Roof lining is starting to sag up front so that will be something to tackle in the near future.

Before

Posted Image

Cleaning crew hard at work

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

It looks like a highlighter has exploded on the right hand side so that will need redoing at some point as I couldn't get it all out.

Posted Image

I found half a beach under the rear seats

Posted Image

Under the front seats I found, $13.40, a key, the locknut, a Canadain 10c piece, a dog biscut and a cracker

Posted Image

Inside a much nicer place to be now.

After a solid afternoon cleaning, he comes up looking like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The plan for him is

- Coilovers - already have them just need to be installed

- Motorsport kit - just needs to be painted to match.

- Wheels - I have some ACS Type 1 reps but are pretty rough

- Engine Conversion (maybe) and Manual conversion - definitely.

- Dye leather interior. Grey is nice but its a little dated.

Need to do's

- Sort dents and scratches

- Cooling system

- Squeeky steering wheel

- Clean underside

Progress will probabley be rather slow as I am currently saving for a house and a 5 week European Holiday in June but I'm keen on sticking to a plan this time instead of selling it after 6 months which I usually end up doing.

• Like 2

looks saveable. How much were the taillights out of interest? i had to order new from BMW too, not cheap. stupid tourings and mine had 4 lights not 2 like yours

makes sence to swap engine at the same time as doing a manual conversion, you need to undo everything to do a gearbox conversion anyway, only another half an hour or so of things to disconnect to pull the engine with it. much easier to do with everything on the floor too instead of dicking around under the car.

I only got one, the right hand one, but it was $250 delivered I think. The dealer wanted $280 plus GST. The left one has a crack in it so I will replace that at some point when I can spare the cash.

Manual conversion is a definite, just don't know what engine to put it yet or if I can be bothered.

I only got one, the right hand one, but it was $250 delivered I think. The dealer wanted $280 plus GST. The left one has a crack in it so I will replace that at some point when I can spare the cash.

Manual conversion is a definite, just don't know what engine to put it yet or if I can be bothered.

yeah think that was about what i paid too except x4 :(

nothing wrong with the M52B28 though

nice score

just do the manual , use a lighter flywheel , maybe m50 manifold swap , headers etc

, i swapped out the whole interior in our 328i touring for a black one from a sedan , just have to redye the back touring seats to suit now.

Awesome, I think the E36 Tourings can be made into quite a desirable car with enough TLC.

What engine conversion did you have in mind?

You already have the M52B28 so the manual conversion + M50 intake + remap might be all you need for a fine machine.

E36 tourings are where it's at! Nice find. Mine was in a very similar state but cleaned up well.

Should of tried uk eBay for lights http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?...nid=32919077467

Edited by euroriffic

What engine conversion did you have in mind?

If time and money wasn't an issue I would like to put in a 1JZ but at the moment I'm leaning more towards a S50B32

Pooze. At that price, I'm tempted just to buy them and tint them out or red them. Cheers.

Cool car and post.

I would also do:

Europlates

Clears

Facelift grill

Tints (boot?)

If time and money wasn't an issue I would like to put in a 1JZ but at the moment I'm leaning more towards a S50B32

Hmmm, that does not compute...

If a 1JZ is too much time & $$ then a S50B32 is well out of the park...

A vvti 1JZ would be the business!!

Edited by E30-323ti

Hmmm, that does not compute...

Haha, I was thinking the same for both points.

I contemplated the 1JZ VVTi route for my car, but I just like the 1UZ exhaust note that much more.

alpina B8

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;hl=alpina+b8

my one

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....3&hl=alpina b8&st=0

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=40475&hl=

have lowered it now with coupe mtec springs and munroe sport reflex shocks

coupe mtec rear sway bar.

swap the seats , carpet and door cards to black

Looking good Brent. Hopefully mine can turn out like that one day.

Finding a broken M3 and swapping everything over would be easier for me now that my 'mechanic' has finished uni and has a real job. Anyway, that's a long way down the road at the moment and the current engine is doing just fine.

We have been told to look for another flat so I'm going to pack everything up at the weekend. Hopefully we can find somewhere with a nice spacious garage. Might take some teaser photos of parts :ph34r:

Small update before I head off to Europe for a needed break. Replaced the front badge and installed armrest with retro tape holder

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got my apprentice helping out

Posted Image

Also put on the motorsport front and rear. Front needs a respray and need a new fog light bracket.p

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Need to find a way to mount the trailer connector. Might just get some cable ties and attach it to the towbar.

I was also at pickapart and grabbed some black interior parts for when I do the headlining. I promise more action once I return in July.

Edited by Gaz

Making progress! Missing the last sentence or so from the post on S|W?? :P

Slow progress. Haha yea well thats all they care about so got to keep them coming back for more somehow.

Slow progress. Haha yea well thats all they care about so got to keep them coming back for more somehow.

Slow builds are the usually the best ^_^ Yeah I know what you mean, I'm holding out posting on there before I get chastised for no lows... Yours will be a hit with the American guys though seeing as they never got the touring!

Excuse the sh*t photos, the lens needs a clean. Put the coilovers in last weekend and it turned into a bit of a nightmare. 5 of the 6 strut nuts had been stripped so that was fun. Ended up with my brother pulling the struts from below and using the rattle gun to effectively yanking them off. No photos of the installation sorry. Managed to pick up some M3 mirrors in the same color so put those on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also test fitted the ACS rep for a laugh. Haven't got a wheel alignment done as I might go lower in the front but if the rears are anything to go by, a small roll and 215/40 tyres might work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes the guard is resting on the tyre :mellow:

Posted Image

Edited by Gaz

Not sure about well built yet haha. Need to get my hands on some trim and man-up to drill some holes for the sideskirts.

Not sure about well built yet haha. Need to get my hands on some trim and man-up to drill some holes for the sideskirts.

Just urethane them on the sides and a fee screws underneath

Looking good! Which coilovers did you end up with?

Just urethane them on the sides and a fee screws underneath

How hard is it to remove? A guard is bent and Im thinking it might be easier to replace it

Looking good! Which coilovers did you end up with?

Ive got some BC Golds which have been lying in my room for the last year. Currently at the lowest point at the rear and half down at the front.

I mean hypothetically haha, but your car is serving as a proof of concept for what is possible down the road.