Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Who would you recommend for full-car wrapping?

Most professional signwriters will do good job of full wrapping a vehicle - particularly those that work with/sponsor any racing teams. Seriously though, don't do it (unless you're going to clear wrap to protect your paint). Matte vinyl wrapped cars look sh*t and cheap and the vinyl doesn't last nearly as long as you might think, there are just two many curves and panels on a car. It's probably okay on a weekend cruiser but on your daily driver that wrap will be peeling within a couple of years... At some $3K to full wrap a car that doesn't sound like a good investment to me.

Most professional signwriters will do good job of full wrapping a vehicle - particularly those that work with/sponsor any racing teams. Seriously though, don't do it (unless you're going to clear wrap to protect your paint). Matte vinyl wrapped cars look sh*t and cheap and the vinyl doesn't last nearly as long as you might think, there are just two many curves and panels on a car. It's probably okay on a weekend cruiser but on your daily driver that wrap will be peeling within a couple of years... At some $3K to full wrap a car that doesn't sound like a good investment to me.

Are they not warrantied against peeling/bubbling etc? I suppose different places will have different policies.

Are they not warrantied against peeling/bubbling etc? I suppose different places will have different policies.

No idea... But I can't imagine they'll guarantee it for much over 12 months.

There's a lot of proper car wrapping places not just a standard signwriting company

G.A.S. does a decent job from what I've seen on their company cars.

I think it stands for graphic application services or something like that.

Car folie MIGHT do it. My friend who worked there did it himself on a e46 coupe. Looked okay.

You could consider plasti dip with a spray gun, or DIY vinyl wrap. Probably will take a couple of weekends.

Or just leave it the way BMW intended... It's hard enough keeping a black car clean, matte black would be a nightmare.

^ agree. But he can do what he likes to his own car :)

I think the only cool matte color is the frozen blue from bmw individual.

I think the only cool matte color is the frozen blue from bmw individual.

Agreed. That colour is mint.

Nevertheless, this was more to obtain quotes. If its unreasonable obviously it won't happen :)

Yep, he can... And I can have an opinion and share it, if I want to. :ph34r:

Edited by jeffbebe

I asked them before I think they said it would be about $1k or a bit less. It's a one day job with 2 guys.

I asked them before I think they said it would be about $1k or a bit less. It's a one day job with 2 guys.

That sounds pretty cheap... I seem to remember another thread about this (can't remember if it was on here or elsewhere) saying that $2-3K was the norm.

hello tristan!

Getting someone else to vinyl wrap your car isnt going to be the best bang for buck because you spend about 3K to get someone else to do it and the average life expected for vinyl in NZ is about 3 years or so before they start fading.

Also Matte vinyl wrap is HORRIBLE in terms of fingerprints... if you have oily fingers and touch it, its going to mark it and there is nothing you can do to get rid of it.

Doing it yourself takes ALOT of time... and you need a friend that will help.

I did the E46 and it took me 2 weeks and did a panel here and there after work but it saved me quite abit of money.

Yongxi

I have a mate that works for a Boston Digital, they do all the courierpost vans, have done a couple V8 supercars & did the chrome XF Jag that made the papers in recent - ish times.

PM me for his number, I'm sure he'd be able to give you a fair idea on price & a good job too

hello tristan!

Getting someone else to vinyl wrap your car isnt going to be the best bang for buck because you spend about 3K to get someone else to do it and the average life expected for vinyl in NZ is about 3 years or so before they start fading.

Also Matte vinyl wrap is HORRIBLE in terms of fingerprints... if you have oily fingers and touch it, its going to mark it and there is nothing you can do to get rid of it.

Doing it yourself takes ALOT of time... and you need a friend that will help.

I did the E46 and it took me 2 weeks and did a panel here and there after work but it saved me quite abit of money.

Yongxi

Hi Yongxi!

Long time, no talk, eh?

Yep, your wrapping process is definitely in mind. Loved watching your progress on FB. Just a bit intimidated by the job. Where would you recommend getting the vinyl from?

I may end up just doing the roof. Was this difficult?

I have a mate that works for a Boston Digital, they do all the courierpost vans, have done a couple V8 supercars & did the chrome XF Jag that made the papers in recent - ish times.

PM me for his number, I'm sure he'd be able to give you a fair idea on price & a good job too

Thanks mate, I'll be in touch once I know what car is coming my way.

yeah been a while eh haha!

The job isn't easy at all if you haven't done it before :S you have to be REAL dedicated to finishing it if you were to start cause you cant exactly just do like half arse job too or else it would just look crap!

TBH, I found the roof and the bonnet the hardest because they were the biggest flat panels...

The roof took us 2 tries and about 2 hours and the bonnet took us 4 hours....

You can get the vinyl from Demon Graphics if you want, They do full car wraps too if you want them to do it and they do a REAL good job of it.

yeah been a while eh haha!

The job isn't easy at all if you haven't done it before :S you have to be REAL dedicated to finishing it if you were to start cause you cant exactly just do like half arse job too or else it would just look crap!

TBH, I found the roof and the bonnet the hardest because they were the biggest flat panels...

The roof took us 2 tries and about 2 hours and the bonnet took us 4 hours....

You can get the vinyl from Demon Graphics if you want, They do full car wraps too if you want them to do it and they do a REAL good job of it.

I suppose one panel will be far more affordable than a whole car. Cheers mate.

try Xracing in kelston he sells the wrap and can do the job also i think its a min of $60 for 2m x 1m

as a carpainters perspective, i hate all wrapping. it looks sh*t. dosnt last. sometimes costs more than a paint job. especially if your going matt black. you could get your car painted for less than 3k. then again i hate all decals and stickers. if its not painted on then leave it off. unless its emblims or badges of course. dont do it....... if you ever wanted to take the wrapping off also, good luck with that lol

Xracing... Had a run in with that guy over a warranty. Hmm.

Yeah, avoid him. I bought some tail lights from him. They were really cheap looking when received - that wasn't the issue though: I asked to returned them and he agreed then took 3 months to refund me. In the end I had to drive to frickin' Kelston and demand my cash in person.

as a carpainters perspective, i hate all wrapping. it looks sh*t. dosnt last. sometimes costs more than a paint job. especially if your going matt black. you could get your car painted for less than 3k. then again i hate all decals and stickers. if its not painted on then leave it off. unless its emblims or badges of course. dont do it....... if you ever wanted to take the wrapping off also, good luck with that lol

Who will paint a car for $3K?! I need their number.