Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Anyone got a heat gun I could borrow?

Have an inexplicable dent on the front splitter of my E39 motorsport bumper. Paint doesn't look too badly damaged and I haven't got the cash currently for a respray anyway. Thinking I can probably get behind it with the handle of a screwdriver and push it out without taking the bumper off but need a heat gun to soften the plastic first.

I can't stand imperfections!! Box of beers if you can help!

I'm in Auckland (Ponsonby/Grey Lynn).

Edited by jeffbebe

I have one but I won't be in town for a few days. FYI you can buy a heatgun from the warehouse for around $15

I have one but I won't be in town for a few days. FYI you can buy a heatgun from the warehouse for around $15

Really? Less than a box of beers! I'll do that then. Thanks for the advice.

Have an inexplicable dent on the front splitter of my E39 motorsport bumper. Paint doesn't look too badly damaged and I haven't got the cash currently for a respray anyway. Thinking I can probably get behind it with the handle of a screwdriver and push it out without taking the bumper off but need a heat gun to soften the plastic first.

I can't stand imperfections!! Box of beers if you can help!

I'm in Auckland (Ponsonby/Grey Lynn).

An Aucklander without a heat gun ? how do you make your creme brulee's ? :rolleyes:

Edited by etwenty1

I normally just use a hair dryer - takes a little longer but better result as you don't run the risk of over heating it and stretching the ABS plastic (and you don't have to push on the dent for longer as the plastic cools faster ... win win!

Edited by M3_Power

I normally just use a hair dryer - takes a little longer but better result as you don't run the risk of over heating it and stretching the ABS plastic (and you don't have to push on the dent for longer as the plastic cools faster ... win win!

I wasn't sure if a hair dryer would be hot enough. Better not use the wife's fancy GHD one!

An Aucklander without a heat gun ? how do you make your creme brulee's ? :rolleyes:

We don't 'make' them... We 'buy' them of course!!

A nice warm day about 25 degrees odd helps a lot : <_< As Tom as said use your wife's hair dryer gives you better control over warming up the affected area. Better still if it has more than one heat setting use the highest heat with the lowest speed and go for it.That is what has worked for me in the past just keep an eye on it and test it out periodically. Best of luck let us know how you get on with it.

bunnings/mitre10/placemakers have one for like $20 or less and they do the job well.. or yea go with the hair dryer

A nice warm day about 25 degrees odd helps a lot

Could be hard with recent days in Auckland!

Arr Auckland always has good weather doesn't it??? :P:D:lol:B)

Thanks all. Will (dubman) has kindly offered to drop one off this weekend. Weather's supposed to be kind all weekend so will let you know how I get on.

Thanks all. Will (dubman) has kindly offered to drop one off this weekend. Weather's supposed to be kind all weekend so will let you know how I get on.

haha I believe that one is mine! used that to vinyl the whole car