Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

DIY: Interior trim paint

Honestly having vinyl wrapped my interior trim id have to agree and all you need as tools are a hairdryer and shape knife and patience.

I advise not to get the vinyl's from Trademe, they are cheap knock offs from taiwan.

I suggest going to any sign writers and get some of the real deal!

I used Avery EasyApply Supercast to do my whole car and I can vouch for its awesome finish and quality!

(P.S. I bought 10M of the stuff from trademe and tried it on the car, it started bubbling within a day and the finish is real wonky)

Yongxi

I advise not to get the vinyl's from Trademe, they are cheap knock offs from taiwan.

I suggest going to any sign writers and get some of the real deal!

I used Avery EasyApply Supercast to do my whole car and I can vouch for its awesome finish and quality!

(P.S. I bought 10M of the stuff from trademe and tried it on the car, it started bubbling within a day and the finish is real wonky)

Yongxi

Good to know.

Thanks!

Thanks! ... so either do the real deal or wrap with quality wrap. Though, after getting the trim out, I am having second thoughts, the trim is really beautiful.

Please explain what a "piano black finish" is.

A term often used on the UK/US forums.

Posted Image

Really just gloss black, smooth polished finish like you'd see on a black piano.

Posted Image

Pretty certain 'piano black' was an option (maybe Individual) on E39 trim. It's not actually just gloss black - it was a very subtle almost marble grey/blue fleck in the black but not easy to see on photos. If you painted or wrapped gloss black it would lack the lustre and 'luxury' of the genuine piano black trim.

If you painted or wrapped gloss black it would lack the lustre and 'luxury' of the genuine piano black trim.

I dissagree.

Posted Image

Very shiny! Not quite what I meant though - I meant your paint would need the coloured fleck/marbling to look like the OE piano black.

Pretty sure the difference between BMW gloss black and 'piano' black trims are one is made of plastic and the other made of wood..

Pretty sure the difference between BMW gloss black and 'piano' black trims are one is made of plastic and the other made of wood..

Think you're right. Here's a piano black centre console and you can clearly see the wood grain.

Posted Image

Gloss black paint or wrap will have none of the grain and will be very 2 dimensional unless you include a pearl or something in the paint.

Not a huge fan of piano black myself, have noticed a lot of manufacturers are using it now and it really only works with a few cars. The face lift version of my car has it on the door pulls and center concol and IMHO it looks out of place and very "after thought.

Posted Image

I really like that 3M Brushed steal look, I wonder if you can buy it in smaller quantities anywhere, I only want to do my door pulls.

Think you're right. Here's a piano black centre console and you can clearly see the wood grain.

Posted Image

Gloss black paint or wrap will have none of the grain and will be very 2 dimensional unless you include a pearl or something in the paint.

Was thinking that was alcantara until I looked closer.

Not a huge fan of piano black myself, have noticed a lot of manufacturers are using it now and it really only works with a few cars. The face lift version of my car has it on the door pulls and center concol and IMHO it looks out of place and very "after thought.

^^^ Totally agree.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/constructio...iano-black.html I suppose I could follow this if need be.

If need be what? Bellicose/John does some really great work and i'm sure you would be welcome to ask him some Q's or tips.