Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Because I own a 7 Series..

Didn't pass a wof, yeah go figure, car needs work. Cool, not worried, have the money for repairs so on the mission I go.

Been to 9 Mechanics...

NONE wanted to touch my E38, and shuffled me off. So off I went to find the parts myself and do a DIY mission. Nope, not even parts are available.. So again got shuffled off to go and see Bellars Motor Works, never been there but thought hell, why not.

Rock up, Happy as larry, feel at home with all the bmws around, thinking yes, finally come to somewhere who will understand, WRONG. Was disgusted at how I was treated because a) I drove an e38 b ) My car is modified (lowered, rims, tints) and c) I look like a young female who can't afford it (I chose to buy an e38 so I know the goddam costs of running it) The lady at the reception treated me like sh*t, and thinking I had gone down to get my chassis number, on my way out I hear her talking to a complete stranger about how my car is a hunk a junk, dodgy looking boy racing machine, that surely cannot be legal, and how I can't afford the repairs. I WAS FUMING. Stormed right back up, put her and this complete stranger back in place. They will certainly not be getting a cent from me after those comments. I'm sure the boys downstairs are different, but I go there for a service not to be judged.

Now that I was fairly out of options that were within 50km of myself, I drove down to Ray at HellBM. Thank god I did that choice, despite the fact he doesn't have on hand E38 parts, he was the ONLY person keen to give it a go, and treated me just like any other bmw owner that would like their car sorted.

Cheers to Ray for a top notch attitude towards me.

Is there something that follows 7 Series owners that we get so frowned upon by every mechanic out there?? Never had problems like this with my E36s. I am not going to bite, or expect to be treated like royalty, but I do expect to be treated just as everyone else would.

p.s not sure how a slug of a 728i would keep up with them boy racers ;)

never had a problem with WOF inspections on my e38. well mine is 740i. its a bit rough on the outside (high kms) but purrs like a kitten.

only brought it once to a garage before but that was only for a trans service as i do the other bits and pieces myself.

may i ask what was wrong with your e38 that mechanics had to shove you off?

yeah ray is a good man :) sponsor over here as well :)

I still find the 38 one of the best 7 series shapes / designs. imo design went down hill after the e38 for the 7 series line :(

Edited by Docile

Regardless of the issues with the car, sounds like crazy mistreatment that shouldn't exist in this field of work. Service.

I think your car looks nice, not sur what all the fuss is about..

Stick with Ray at HellBM. Otherwise you also have bmworkshop one in grey Lynn? And one in botany downs area.

good on ya Ray.

never had a problem with WOF inspections on my e38. well mine is 740i. its a bit rough on the outside (high kms) but purrs like a kitten.

only brought it once to a garage before but that was only for a trans service as i do the other bits and pieces myself.

may i ask what was wrong with your e38 that mechanics had to shove you off?

Never had a problem with my 740il.. But sadly that baby is no longer around..

I bought this car as a project, got it cheap, knowing it needed work. So done what I thought was needed, but now needs more (okay cool happy to pay)

Just replaced starter motor, new rotors, spruced up the paint etc etc... And then I let someone else drive it.. Now is sporting a cracked/smashed front bumper, damaged back trim, and a cracked indicator light. Easy wof fix, just take out the other fog light and replace indicator that is cracked, and will replace the front bumper and back trim when I get what is more important sorted first.

I knew it needed left/right lower control arm bushes, and planned on getting that done anyway, but now also needs rear lower control arm bushes done too.. No one was interested.. and to my understanding it isn't THAT much of a job.. Supercheap wanted to charge me $240 for one bloody bush though! Thought that was pathetic when you can get them imported for maybe $100ish for 2?

Its as if because I drive a BMW, and the uncommon sorta kind, no one can be bothered lifting a finger.. despite the fact I am happy to pay.

Doesn't just happen with E38's you can own an E30 and retarded toyota loving patriotic kiwi "mechanics" will shove you off at the first mention of BMW.

Also, try Euro Italian or Milland for parts. Euro Italian is a forum sponsor and up north somewhere, where as milland is good for us south people since shipping is almost instant!

Edited by antil33t

That's harsh. You car looks great B)

+1 on Euro Italian for parts - near Upper harbour highway on the shore.

I have had my car at Bellars a couple of times. Ken (I think that was his name) is good and friendly. The lady on the desk was cold - figured it was just me...

retarded toyota loving patriotic kiwi "mechanics" will shove you off at the first mention of BMW.

:lol: I totally had one of those prior to the e30. Same mechanic but different attitude with the BMW

Would love Ray to open a more 'central' shop!

+ 1

Thumbs up Ray!

Given that I've had quite a few friends that got into the auto trade only to come out the other end hating it and losing all interests in cars - Ray's a real rarity these days ... a true enthusiast that owns a workshop and also supplies parts and still loves his job, trade and the products.

Edited by M3_Power

they are a nice car

have quite a few customers of mine with 728i 740i 750i etc

plenty of e38 parts

at

BM WORLD

papakura

Brent

and pic of my 750il i sold recently

sort of miss it

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

It strikes me as very odd that in this economic climate where typically people will bend over backwards to get work through the door, and then 9 different mechanics want nothing to do with your car. Given the nature of the repairs required it would be easy money for any workshop.

Ray is indeed a top notch bloke!

Always helped out and always keen to give things a go!

I also very highly recommend Glenn at B.M.W. Ltd, Knows bmw's inside and out and you can trust that his work is 100% up to standards with no short cuts taken!

It strikes me as very odd that in this economic climate where typically people will bend over backwards to get work through the door, and then 9 different mechanics want nothing to do with your car. Given the nature of the repairs required it would be easy money for any workshop.

Thats exactly what I thought...

Its like I had a zoo of African animals sitting in my backseat.. no one even bothered to have a look under the car for the work that needed doing. They just flicked me off. Some took my name and number, but none have called back..

I manage a retail car parts store and i am constantly disgusted at the attitudes from some major part suppliers in new zealand.

Most have absolutly no interest in stocking parts for euro cars.

These are wholesalers with staff numbers into the 50s+

They will either fob us off or if they stock parts will charge heaps as they dont sell many... cruel cycle there as they dont sell many due to high prices.

I can look at wholesale cost price excluding gst and already its still much more than importing, including freight.

Some are turning it around, many are expanding their range and lowering prices year after year.

still a while off competing with the big american and euro companies but local parts have the next day advantage on their side

Had similar perception issues riding motorcycles over the years. I just smile. Some people think your about to rob them , others want you to pay up front because they've judge a motorcycle rider to have no money for no reason. Then you get the other end where the accommodation industry will go out of their way to treat you well , offer lockups for the night , offer to help carry gear etc.

I think good customer service is an 'art" really but it is a two way street. A friendly smile both ways can be a good icebreaker.

Just a case of finding somewhere that you like that treats you such as Ray or Brent

if you need quality oem parts go to gavin at euro italia up at north shore :) fair pricing for OEM parts :) already bought lots of stuff from him :)

he gives you little chocolates as well :)hehe and his big dog that welcomes you:)

so pissed off i got charged 60 bucks to get a bushing pushed in :( one of the things i cant do at home :( oh well but quality parts from him :) and gives discount too :)

Edited by Docile

Didn't pass a wof, yeah go figure, car needs work. Cool, not worried, have the money for repairs so on the mission I go.

Been to 9 Mechanics...

NONE wanted to touch my E38, and shuffled me off. So off I went to find the parts myself and do a DIY mission. Nope, not even parts are available.. So again got shuffled off to go and see Bellars Motor Works, never been there but thought hell, why not.

Rock up, Happy as larry, feel at home with all the bmws around, thinking yes, finally come to somewhere who will understand, WRONG. Was disgusted at how I was treated because a) I drove an e38 b ) My car is modified (lowered, rims, tints) and c) I look like a young female who can't afford it (I chose to buy an e38 so I know the goddam costs of running it) The lady at the reception treated me like sh*t, and thinking I had gone down to get my chassis number, on my way out I hear her talking to a complete stranger about how my car is a hunk a junk, dodgy looking boy racing machine, that surely cannot be legal, and how I can't afford the repairs. I WAS FUMING. Stormed right back up, put her and this complete stranger back in place. They will certainly not be getting a cent from me after those comments. I'm sure the boys downstairs are different, but I go there for a service not to be judged.

Now that I was fairly out of options that were within 50km of myself, I drove down to Ray at HellBM. Thank god I did that choice, despite the fact he doesn't have on hand E38 parts, he was the ONLY person keen to give it a go, and treated me just like any other bmw owner that would like their car sorted.

Cheers to Ray for a top notch attitude towards me.

Is there something that follows 7 Series owners that we get so frowned upon by every mechanic out there?? Never had problems like this with my E36s. I am not going to bite, or expect to be treated like royalty, but I do expect to be treated just as everyone else would.

p.s not sure how a slug of a 728i would keep up with them boy racers ;)

Ray is the man. I only go to people who have a modicum of personality and a "can do" attitude. Even though Ray is miles from me, I know it's always a pleasure, and he does go the extra mile to find a solution to your problem. Not only that, the creations he has up the driveway continue to inspire. Compared to some who visit Ray my car is a p.o.s. but I love it, and he gets that better than most.

Supercheap wanted to charge me $240 for one bloody bush though! Thought that was pathetic when you can get them imported for maybe $100ish for 2?

Working at supercheap this is moreso the suppliers fault for the same reason that Jason has mentioned in my quote below. Even on my discount for a distributor cap for an E30 it's $225 when I can get one from BMW for 90.

Being at work now I just had a look at our parts system as well and whoever you talked to quoted you the price for a whole control arm, we don't even have listings for the bushes -.- (another problem I've found with the 7 series here but that's another story all together)

I manage a retail car parts store and i am constantly disgusted at the attitudes from some major part suppliers in new zealand.

Most have absolutly no interest in stocking parts for euro cars.

These are wholesalers with staff numbers into the 50s+

They will either fob us off or if they stock parts will charge heaps as they dont sell many... cruel cycle there as they dont sell many due to high prices.

I can look at wholesale cost price excluding gst and already its still much more than importing, including freight.

Some are turning it around, many are expanding their range and lowering prices year after year.

still a while off competing with the big american and euro companies but local parts have the next day advantage on their side

Find the exact same thing here even at Supercheap. They almost don't want to know you. There are still some good suppliers who are keen to help out.

tridon are great.

George stocks are getting pretty good too but as most bushes they stock are no longer rubber they are limited by aftermarket suppliers not producing for 5 and 7 series.

There is a new shop out who does massive amounts of euro bushes, mounts even rubber intake hoses.

but because its a small start up my upper managment are being reluctant to deal with them, hopefully it will change soon.

See you should have come here first......Ray,Brent,Glenn......all true enthusiasts who will be only too happy to sort the e38.

I have an il......my favourite large car no question

I have never had any issues finding people to service any of the family BMW's. E39, E38, E36 E30's. Modified and stock. Never have I been turned away. I can't help but think there is something else as to the cause of them saying no. And I wouldn't put it past them not wanting to work on the car just based on how it looks.

Sacked out cheap BMW's are not something high end workshops want to be associated with. No offense. That's just the way it is.

I have never had any issues finding people to service any of the family BMW's. E39, E38, E36 E30's. Modified and stock. Never have I been turned away. I can't help but think there is something else as to the cause of them saying no. And I wouldn't put it past them not wanting to work on the car just based on how it looks.

Sacked out cheap BMW's are not something high end workshops want to be associated with. No offense. That's just the way it is.

so if I had a sacked E65 reckon they would treat me better because my car is 'cheap'? I was very polite to them all, gave them my WOF sheet so they knew what needed working on, and not a single one could be bothered, gave my number to half of them, been over a week now and none have called back to say they will give it a go...

Maybe its the fact a young female driver steps out the drivers door and they assume I can't pay? But 90% look at the car, told me I was stupid for buying BMW, and even stupider for buying E38. .. Sorry but thats slagging off my car, and then because Its modded doesn't help I guess. I think Bellars, and Pitstop were the most 'high end' I tried.. and I have personally seen more 'cheaper' looking, slammed cars than mine sitting at those workshop doors...

If I went in with a stuck up snob ass attitude, I could understand, but I didn't. I just wanted someone to take the time to consider fixing it.

Working at supercheap this is moreso the suppliers fault for the same reason that Jason has mentioned in my quote below. Even on my discount for a distributor cap for an E30 it's $225 when I can get one from BMW for 90.

Being at work now I just had a look at our parts system as well and whoever you talked to quoted you the price for a whole control arm, we don't even have listings for the bushes -.- (another problem I've found with the 7 series here but that's another story all together)

Find the exact same thing here even at Supercheap. They almost don't want to know you. There are still some good suppliers who are keen to help out.

Haha I asked the guy if it was for the whole control arm, he said nope, just the bush.. And just for the front too. You guys did better than repco though, they had nothing!