Sign in to follow this  
ntaylor90

M50 swap into 318ti - future turbo project.

What is the reason for this?

I'd of thought the height wasn't critical because of the hydraulic lifters. And as far as I can tell they've all been machined to a reasonable tolerance for this.

The lifters only have a small operating tolerance.. I forget what it is at the moment. Machine seats or valves and this working tolerance gets either too big or too small. It's engineering good practice to keep them in order and check the heights before assembly. Correct any that are not within spec. It's the same as checking piston ring gap, bearing clearances or tappet clearance on a non hydraulic valve system

you do what you want,

where you can,

and how you can,

ignore the comments dude your doing well and im sure your learning much so keep going to how it suits you :)

Edited by crunchy
  • Like 1

you do what you want,

where you can,

and how you can,

ignore the comments dude your doing well and im sure your learning much so keep going to how it suits you :)

ignore the comments?

i would see the comments as helpful advice from those who have been there and done that and not as criticisms

i also see a guy trying his best with what he has and doesnt need to defended that fact nor people stating the obvious

Thanks to everyone who is commenting.

Again I'll say that this has been a huge learning curve for me, but I love it. Along with that I am thankful for the advice given by everyone so far. I a perfect world I would have every single BMW special tool, a shop and a lift to myself, and a nice big tool chest with space for everything. But as crunchy said I am doing the best with what I've got and where I can!

Seems to be developing pretty well so far, 'specially if this is your first engine teardown & rebuild. It's not a job for the faint hearted. Little bits of info from the likes of Glenn are handy - folks like him have been around for a fair bit and tend to know what they're on about :)

Same goes for Crunchy, keep in touch with him when ya get to the turbo bit. If you need any convincing, google him & take a gawk at some of the monsters he's unleashed

Keep the updates coming, looks like you're having a heap of fun :)

Seems to be developing pretty well so far, 'specially if this is your first engine teardown & rebuild. It's not a job for the faint hearted. Little bits of info from the likes of Glenn are handy - folks like him have been around for a fair bit and tend to know what they're on about :)

Same goes for Crunchy, keep in touch with him when ya get to the turbo bit. If you need any convincing, google him & take a gawk at some of the monsters he's unleashed

Keep the updates coming, looks like you're having a heap of fun :)

Thanks buddy. Yes, both Glenn and Crunchy have been super helpful so far, I have read a lot of Glenn's posts and he's clearly a guy who knows what he's talking about. Same goes for crunchy, his machines are immense and I'll definitely be talking to him more closer to the turbo stage :P

I think the most I've done on a car before this is install a new ignition barrel and change a rocker cover gasket on a '89 corolla. Pretty big jump! But I'm a firm believer that if somebody has done it before me, there's not too many reasons that I can't do it myself!

Cheers

Got my cams in today. Again, super thankful for the pelican parts website rundown on cam installation. Had some help holding the cams at their 'sweet spot' by my better half. Pretty cool that she likes what I'm doing, and is the one who encouraged me to undertake this project!

6f7cht.jpg

Starting to come along very nicely now. Am going to chuck the head gasket on tomorrow and follow the pelican parts tutorial for timing and VANOS install. Then it's a short climb to the finish! Planning on having the engine and manual turn-key in the next week or 2. Exciting!

Then on to thinking about other things. Turbo, coilovers, better wheels, paint. Mmm.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

• Like 2

Nice work dude, considering you have never done this before you seem to be making quick progress.

Haha thanks gents. She's definitely a rare breed, and gorgeous too which certainly helps ;)

Off to work now. Head on tomorrow. Have a beer for me!

What's wrong with a crescent! Haha. I hate them with a passion but it's the only thing I had (except vice grips) that was wide enough to hold the cams in place when I tightened them ;)

Today was awesome. I finalised the prep on my head and block, wiped her down, installed the front timing cover and chucked the head on! It was good, luckily I had my girlfriends' sister to feed the timing chain through so it didn't fall into the cavity! :P

I've never done a head, I couldn't believe the tightness of the head bolts for a relatively thin diameter bolt. Wow. I now see why they're only one time use!

A few piccys.

4kfwhx.jpg

Overlooking it's unsuspecting victim...

315ocv4.jpg

Looking pretty good in black.. Will give it a final sand and spray before it all goes into the Ti.

2crlhc7.jpg

Looking forward to the next few weeks! Turn key should be not too far away. And then time to attack everything else :D

Have a good night all.

Nick

Guys please dont hate on the crescent haha, top stuff bro, makes me want to get out and work on mine haha :)

Guys please dont hate on the crescent haha, top stuff bro, makes me want to get out and work on mine haha :)

Haha thanks again bud! Do it! No excuses. Unless it's money. Sell yourself on the street? Hah :P

Greetings everyone!

Got a lot done today. Timed the cams (following the pelican parts article - epic resource id be lost without it!), installed the vanos, and chucked on the sump! Made a nice coating on permatex on each side of sump gasket, seems to be a good way to go. Exciting that it's coming together nicely. Possibly aiming for an install next week, but if not it will be the week after!

2wnbk14.jpg

2jepsuo.jpg

Have an awesome night

I was about to ask what your logic is in leaving the motor resting vertically on the flywheel until it dawned on me that you just didn't rotate the photo :wacko:

That's a real tidy lookin M50 you et there - really impressed with how quick you're gettin it done

Looking forward to the result :)

Hahahaha. That's hilarious. I uploaded them on tinypic the right way, but it must have changed them up. It looks amazing resting on the flywheel. Hahaha.

Thanks for the replies! :)

Nice work man! Looking forward to seeing it on the road.

I was thinking to myself, how the hell did he get his floor so tidy and clean!? Then realised it was your wall.

Awesome day today. Chucked a coating of engine enamel clear coat on the block so it's nice and shiny now. Looks good.

I didn't like the look of the valve cover, so I decided to wire brush the paint off the front 'hump' (the only bit visible with the plastic covers on), used 180,240,320,800,1500,2000 grit and then some cutting compound to get it all shiny. It took me bloody ages. I know it's not perfect, but it's a damn site better than it would have been anyway. I like it :)

fvvbzl.jpg

2uy5b94.jpg

Been doing some last-minute study regarding the transfer, feeling pretty confident about it all, and hoping to have it up and running within the next 2 weeks.

I'm parting out the coupe I got the engine and manual from. Selling it off for cheap as chips so if you want anything send me a message and if I have it it could be your lucky day :)

Cheers everyone!

• Like 1

What's new.. Today I got a new belt, chucked the accessories on and the belt :) Spent ages looking around for my Allen key for the tensioner, only to find I already had it in my hand... Classic.

I also put the valve cover on, torqued all the bolts. Not toooooo much more that I can do now until it goes into the car! Polished head of the valve cover, I messed the clear coat up, it crackled because I did it in the sun, so I just scratched it off and I'll polish it up again so it looks nice :)

qyczg3.jpg

w8kpq9.jpg

Looking forward to next weekend! That's when the magic is going to happen (let's hope :P )

Cheers all, have a good evening.

great work dude

Thanks heaps crunchy. One day I hope to have something half as epic as yours :P