Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Auto transmission software frustration

;)

I'm assuming that coding it AFTER the software upgrade won't affect the data.

I'd be tempted to code it to the car, and leave it fitted (since it's now in there), while sending YOUR one to the US of A. then swap back. You can hten change abck and forth willynilly B)

Yep, that's what I was thinking. The EGS has to be coded to the VIN (and run in the car) before it is upgraded, hence why I can't just buy a cheap matching EGS in the USA on eBay and ship directly to Dinan... Has to go in my car and be coded first.

Edited by jeffbebe

Interesting, took my EGS out to check the part no. and it isn't listed (on RealOEM.com) for my car. Rather it's listed for an E38 740i. Same engine and gearbox obviously, but would they have had identical software?

Interesting, took my EGS out to check the part no. and it isn't listed (on RealOEM.com) for my car. Rather it's listed for an E38 740i. Same engine and gearbox obviously, but would they have had identical software?

they changfe part numbers on ecu's like there underwear , they are pretty generic boxes with sleightly different coding programmed depending on the car they are fitted too

Also Jooles, your car is one of those funny change over cars ... half half of the modules Pre OBDII standard and the rest comply. This is why you have two diag ports. 16pin square and 20 pin round.

Uncompromising would be if you applied it to your own decisions. Black and white is forcing your 'uncompromising' opinion on everyone else even when they have stated up front that the opinion you're offering has been deliberated and ruled out.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

I'm sure there's someone closer than I am, who can do the coding etc, but otherwise - I'm up here. (I don't have an adapter to fit your 20 pin either - I need one though anyway)

I also seem to recall that the Japanese 'boxes were different to the Euro/NZ ones... even on the V8's Did they have the US type box???

Edited by Allanw

Thanks Allan. According to Dinan all the boxes - US, Japanese, Euro, etc - were the same. Also, pretty certain the EGS can be accessed via the OBDII connector (my car has OBD I and II).

Can do you an egs and coding for $100 ( bimmersport super special).

• Like 1

Ray, you're a legend, thanks. Will see you this weekend (either at Puke or on Monday).

Cheers

I'd be interested in your results. I've often wondered if I could have a readout of the gear while in Drive/Sport mode.

I'd be interested in your results. I've often wondered if I could have a readout of the gear while in Drive/Sport mode.

Pretty certain you can do that... Josh (hybrid) mentioned he'd done or seen something similar.

Hi Sorry to bump this 7 year old thread but did you get what you were looking for in terms of the performance increase on the auto trans? I have a 328ci (japan) and was hoping to do the same.

Cheers

Edited by craigo1498