Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Legality of red indicators

Had them on 3 of my e30s so far and have never been asked about them, even from cops and vtnz....

Cool - Thanks. I see them pretty often on Chevys etc. too. Will call LTNZ anyway and report back.

Yep they are legal.

By law, indicators can be orange or red.

I've passed so many warrents with my red indicators and cops have seen them so many times and never gotten pulled over, however putting anything over your taillights is illegal.

• Like 1

i don't think they can be red, you aren't supposed to have any red lights on the front of your car, so seems strange allowing red or orange on the back but only orange on the front?? Maybe someone that actually issues warrants can have a look at the handbook?? Glenn?

You can have red or amber on the rear but you cant have any forward facing red lamps

Is retrofitting clear lenses, but with orange indicator bulbs also OK?

Personally, I don't like the full clear lens look at the back of a car, but keeping it to red and white can look tidy. I know some countries insist on amber lenses, but don't know the rules here.

Red rear indicators are permitted if the lamp has an SAE marking on it. ECE (i.e. everywhere except the US) can only be amber. Front indicators have to be amber (or "yellow" as defined in the SAE standards).

Here in NZ the LTNZ/LTSA (or whatever they call themselves now) accept either SAE or ECE approved lighting. So the short answer is yes, red indicators are ok on the rear. However, they look f**king awful & there is no law against poor taste unfortunately.

• Like 1

Red is OK according the WOF Virm, but only in the rear. http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/general/lighting/direction-indicator-lamps

Reason for rejection: When switched on, a direction indicator lamp emits a light that is:

a) not substantially white or amber to the front, or

b ) not substantially amber or red to the rear, or

c) not substantially amber to the side, or

d) different in colour or intensity from the other lamp in a pair, or

e) not bright enough to be visible from 100m in normal daylight and from 200m in normal darkness, eg due to modification, deterioration, dirt or an incorrect light source, or

f) too bright causing significant dazzle to other road users, eg due to an incorrect light source , or

g) altered, eg due to damage or modification.

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

Also to be clear, red rear indicators are legal. Tinting orange ones red is technically not legal, as it is illegal to apply any sort of tint or paint over lights. Not that many people would ever know if the job is done tidily.

Clear lenses with orange bulbs are totally ok as long as the lense meets the standard. Many cars have factory clear lenses with Amber bulbs.