Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

M3AN E36 M3 PLOG (Project Log)

No way!

I grew up in Celtic Cres and the family house is still there!

Way! 200m down the road from me. ;)

And I've just discovered a massive BMW parts shop on Marua road also, lots of cars and containers. Not a sponsor here though which is a bit of a bummer but I'm still going to check them out.

Way! 200m down the road from me. ;)

And I've just discovered a massive BMW parts shop on Marua road also, lots of cars and containers. Not a sponsor here though which is a bit of a bummer but I'm still going to check them out.

That parts shop is pretty good, although I've heard pretty sketchy stuff about the BMW place behind it at the end of the dead end street.

Pretty sure they are not related though.

Probably needed a clean! Which warehouse? I live on Marua Rd.

Haha me too, just taken over 132E

That parts shop is pretty good, although I've heard pretty sketchy stuff about the BMW place behind it at the end of the dead end street.

Pretty sure they are not related though.

Thanks for the heads up, only ever been down that dead end to turn around, didn't know there was a Bimmer place there!

Directly opposite the BWM parts place! If you ever want an after work beer drop me a line. :)

I'd love to pop over one day too.

Be great to have a beer and check out your projects

• Like 1

I'd love to pop over one day too.

Be great to have a beer and check out your projects

More than welcome! I'm around most of the time.

Where abouts are you? yea Im directly opposite them.
We should have a few beersies sometime soon and talk cars haha

Sounds like it will be an awesome car when all done. Where did you get the Vanos rattle kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like it will be an awesome car when all done. Where did you get the Vanos rattle kit?

I often wonder if it will ever be all done?!?

Rattle kit from here: http://www.beisansystems.com/

• Like 1

I often wonder if it will ever be all done?!?

Rattle kit from here: http://www.beisansystems.com/

At least yours is driving. My car is in pieces all over the workshop. Doing all the ancillaries while engine is out of the car. Water pump, oil pump, thermostat, upgraded oil cooler, under drive pulleys and new idlers and tensioners, oil seals, frost plugs, main and rod bolts, Vanos overhaul, EGR delete, breather delete from intake into catch bottle, CAI, new coils and plugs, leak test, cat delete, dyno tune. You done the viscous fan delete?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You done the viscous fan delete?

I have, but that's literally all I did - remove the fan. I didn't change the thermostat, temp switch or install another fan. No problems so far; touch wood. Although it has been suggested I get an aux temp sensor to keep a better eye on things there. Under consideration.

What did removing the fan actually achieve?

Primarily more space to see/work at the front of the engine. Consequentially car also runs cooler but there's a small risk of temps rising in heavy traffic on really hot days.

What did removing the fan actually achie

As mine is a race engine, it spends most of it's life in the high RPM bracket, over 6000 RPM. This can cause the viscous coupling to fail. and a failed viscous coupling leads to a fan going bersec in the engine bay, wrecking everything. So for me was primarily preventative, but it gained a coupel HP on the wheels. I popped in an oversize electric fan on the radiator with a thermostat to kick it in at a lower temp.

Installed these last night and am very happy with the result. Was a real PITA and even cost me some blood but job done.

They're aluminium (rather than plastic) with a nice dark chrome finish. Similar to that seen in the Z and later M cars. Got rid of that hideous idiot sticker for the fuel grade as well.

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

After.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

Did you have to use the bmw tool to remove the fan, or did you use the hammer method?

Rings look good, shame you took the sticker off though :P

Is it just me, or is your ///M logo monochrome? Sure my M3 had much brighter colors.

Did you have to use the bmw tool to remove the fan, or did you use the hammer method?

Rubber mallet and long screwdriver to wedge the water pump. Tried it a couple of times first and failed. Then gave it a proper whack and it worked fine. You just need to consider where your swing arc will go if you miss or slip so you can adjust to avoid breakage. It's only really tight if the fan hasn't been removed for ages, now mine just requires a light tap (when it's on).

Rings look good, shame you took the sticker off though :P

Is it just me, or is your ///M logo monochrome? Sure my M3 had much brighter colors.

Cheers and I can always buy a new sticker if I need it. ;)

///M logo is coloured, just poor lighting and a phone camera to blame. The colours aren't really bright but they are there.

Right, so I collected the start of my upholstered bits today, rear seat assembly and front seat inserts. Also dropped front the bolsters off to get fixed and recovered.

FrontInserts01.jpg

RearBackrest01.jpg

RearBase01.jpg

Must get on to those door cards or it's going to look a little odd for a while!

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 5

Far from complete but you get the picture. Front seat inserts are just placed in there for the time being and I still need to clean up the fronts properly.

Very different, very dark! But I like it. They need some use so that everything starts to settle into place but that'll happen over time.

RearInstalled01.jpg

FrontMock01.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 4

Were the recaros a straight bolt in with a kwnz adapter plate? What are they out of?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Were the recaros a straight bolt in with a kwnz adapter plate? What are they out of?

Yes, with the NZKW base and slider they bolt straight in. I need to raise them ~25mm however because they're too low. They're SR3's out of an Evo IV.

• Like 1

That looks so much better than that ugly white leather. Really like the recaro.

If you dont mind me asking, what sort of money is the work to recover the seats costing?

That looks so much better than that ugly white leather. Really like the recaro.

If you dont mind me asking, what sort of money is the work to recover the seats costing?

Thanks and no problem...

Reupholster supplied rear seat (base/back) retaining existing leather and using supplied material

Reupholster supplied front seat inserts (base/back x2) using supplied material

Create new front seat base bolster covers (x4) using supplied material

Repair front seat base bolsters (x4)

= approx. $1000

So, add the seats, the material, the mounting bases, the sliders, the belt buckles, the door cards and you're looking at a silly amount... :-/