Sign in to follow this  
NVADER

E36 Auto Box Slipping

My brothers just got his learners so I'm attempting to fix up my old E36 320i so he can have it for his first car. The main issue is the Japanese auto box. It's always had a fairly brutal first to second shift when cold but after some hard yards being driven (spiritedly) daily over the Rimutakas and back as my commuter, it now refuses to change from first to second unless I button off the gas completely.

I think it's probably beyond a simple oil change now but I rang up Jeff Gray to see what the oil's worth regardless...Retail is about $90/L and best price through my mates garage is between $50-$70p/L.

Given the above prices, it looks cheaper to find a second box with the torque converter still on it, and the liquid gold still in it... Is there an aftermarket alternative to Dexron III that will do the job properly these days?

just std dexon 3 is ok fot these old trans , but sometimes they can have a mod done to them to fix the 1st issue , i know i guy up here that does them , or can do another trans $400-450

I'd just put in a full synthetic trans oil.

Like,

Fuchs Titan 6000

Castrol Transmax Z

Penrite ATF FS

ect

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Will try an oil change and see if that helps. Do you know what the mod is Brent?

If you need another auto box I have one out of a 1994 325 M Sport that has done 132k. $125 pick up price in Wellington.

If you need another auto box I have one out of a 1994 325 M Sport that has done 132k. $125 pick up price in Wellington.

Are the 325 boxes interchangeable with the 320 ones? Or do they require a 325 driveshaft/diff as well?

Also, have you got the torque converter off it by any chance? Cheers

Are the 325 boxes interchangeable with the 320 ones? Or do they require a 325 driveshaft/diff as well?

Also, have you got the torque converter off it by any chance? Cheers

I am pretty sure I have the torque converter and the driveshaft that came off the car. Not sure about whether the 320 and 325 are interchangeable. There are much smarter guys on here than me who will know. Hopefully they will chime in here and help.

I am pretty sure I have the torque converter and the driveshaft that came off the car. Not sure about whether the 320 and 325 are interchangeable. There are much smarter guys on here than me who will know. Hopefully they will chime in here and help.

How did you get on with getting your auto fixed. I am around this weekend if you want to look at the one I have.

Geoff

021 449 242