Sign in to follow this  
FireryDawn

e30 323i

anyone know any major issues to watch out for in early 323i? i know cambelt/waterpump /head gasket and stuff on the m20,
but mainly how was the rust prevention on the early ones from factory? that there is my major concern bout this car.
im looking at whats apparently an 83 323i msport coupe, no wof/reg, and trading my 86 318iauto coupe (wof/reg)

any opinions from people on here?

Would of thought they'd be the same as most e30s with the usual problem areas

Have a look at it and then make your mind up. You`ve already got an E30, I would go back to an e30 if I could find a manual 325 at a decent price.

Most of the 320`s and 318`s have been boganed in my opinion. Is the 323 NZ new or ex UK ?

Just to clarify that post Aiden, by decent price I mean you need enough spare in the bank to look after it the minute you buy it.

The 323i Msport was a cool NZ spec'd model, nice and rare and worth getting I reckon. Unsure if they had the dogleg box but I feel they did? 'Were supposed to have a hotter cam, and lsd.

That`s what I thought. If it was NZ spec then it wouldn`t have a leather interior ? I didn`t know about the add ons.

I`ve seen gold ones in ChCh but not for a while. I think they came out with a houndstooth interior, very classy.

Had a 85 323i for about 15 years .

Brought it at 74,000km and sold it at 330,000km 15 years later. Most of the items replaced where wear and tear , a few sets of rotors /pads , the odd light bulb, two water pumps (Don't use those plastic impeller ones as replacements), cam belts every 60,000 km, one inlet idle control thingie , front exhaust section (replaced with Stainless system) , one clutch & release bearing , two front wheel bearings.

Car blew a head gasket at 190,000km, , long story , but happened on the way home after a routine service. Brother was a mechanic so pulled the engine down to check for any damage. Bottom end checked by engine reconditioner , comment was that bottom end was within new tolerances (Ran on Mobil 1) The rest was good.

Only other issue was a spot of rust at the bottom of the A pillar.

Power wise ok, low down torque was good. You can let the clutch out without foot on gas and it won't stall. Usual e30 handling . Mine had standard suspension and 14" 195/6x/14s rims. Best tyre I found in that size as the yoko 509

In all it was a good reliable car .

Every members' top 10 biggest fear!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

iv now got a slight issue, i kinda crashed my e30 this morning.

That was silly. Was awefully wet this morning. Got pics?

That was silly. Was awefully wet this morning. Got pics?

i think there might be one in the ODT tomorrow, uploading images aint working atm, guy still seems keen to trade if i can get it fixed, pretty much all mah spare front end parts tho,

guard/grills/lights/bumper/bonnet, and need to make the old girl come back to life

How bad?

with a bit of...creative (winch and tractor),,, panel beating, i should be able to at least pull the slam panel and front clip back right, then simply have to replace parts from my spares that i have

Ahh right. That sucks dude. If you need a panel beater I've got a mate who works for himself in behind the old Roslyn mill that does great work.

Ahh right. That sucks dude. If you need a panel beater I've got a mate who works for himself in behind the old Roslyn mill that does great work.

well, iv looked at it now, front of the car is bent a bit( RH "chassis rail" outwards a bit), other than that, rest is panels, so i may need to get some welding done, for a new front clip to be welded in.

Ohwell let me know if you want his number or take some pics and send them through or go down and show him

Ohwell let me know if you want his number or take some pics and send them through or go down and show him

atm (with the excess looming over me) im hoping i can just get it looking okay, i have wof for 5 months still (luckily) then worry bout it at a later date, or even end up going through with this trade, the guy already knows i crashed it, but i would like his number to get mah OTHER car fixed thanks

well guys, ended up getting it! got a few rust spots, and sunroof dont work, but other than that pretty good!