Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Cheers Jason, ive tried the upside down pump nozzle, unfortunately it didnt help. Im going to get into the inner guard and check the breather valve.

Wouldn't normally consider polishing the lips on a one-piece wheel but saw these on eBay and think they look pretty decent. Thoughts?

post-16586-0-05015700-1410301925.jpg

Not sure what you mean, Dave? Entire lip is polished on those. Perhaps the photograph makes it looks as though it's not.

would a slightly darker centre look better to contrast the polished lip? (it does look nice already though)

I hear you re: contrast but I really don't like dark wheels. If I did it, it would be as per the picture - with the centres painted the original light silver - or not at all.

Better get the new iphone 6 plus! 5.5" screen. For what? $1500?? Lol. Apple. Lol.

Which one is it? Im using the note 2 (like 5.9" so its pretty big. Getting a bit annoyed with it sometimes but its got its uses.

Ok way off topic

Those lips look mighty fine, would look great against the black too.

I had them polished on the e34 m5 rims...looked great clean (with out the throwing stars)

how would one go about getting that done????

Most wheel refurbishers should be able to do it, Andy. Just require some hand polishing on the rim and careful masking and painting on the centres. Am guessing you'd need to clear coat the whole thing to avoid the paint chipping a long the mask line where the polished lip begins

I used a place on Barry's point road, they actually machined the lips, the lips were rooted. Didn't clear it because it made them dull so used autosol to keep them d9dc8c5768d4223919e67a21ca6e4708.jpg

Edited by beemn
  • Like 1

They look good, Milan. Ideally, I'd like mine machined then polished (so you can't see any machining lines but you get the even machined finish). My old BBS RSIIs had a polished lip - not machined - and you could see the dimples but it was very shiny! Also wasn't clear coated but was a separate lip so easy not to damage the centre paint.

Did you have any problems with the autosol wearing the paint round the edges?

by machined, do you mean spun on a lathe and take the surface off?

and then polish?

Yep. You can leave it machined (like a lot if modern wheels) and you'll see and feel the very thin grooves from the lathe on the lip. Polishing gives a perfectly smooth finish.

Edited by jeffbebe

They look good, Milan. Ideally, I'd like mine machined then polished (so you can't see any machining lines but you get the even machined finish). My old BBS RSIIs had a polished lip - not machined - and you could see the dimples but it was very shiny! Also wasn't clear coated but was a separate lip so easy not to damage the centre paint.

Did you have any problems with the autosol wearing the paint round the edges?

I didn't have too many issues with the autosol on the paint. Biggest issue was water ponding on the lips and staining it. I didn't want to spend anymore than I had to on the rims, after all it was a race car and clear coat is sooooo heavy! Also with a good size dish (these were staggered fitment) were prone to stones hitting them....easier to polish than pay to re-clear Edited by beemn

For polished lips, regular applications of a wheel sealant will help prevent water spots oxidising the finish. Poor boys' brand do a very good product :

http://poorboys.myshopify.com/collections/poorboys-world-wheel-and-tyre-care/products/poorboys-world-wheel-sealant

I've been using this stuff on my recently re-shadow chromed wheels, it makes cleaning off brake dust a breeze!

• Like 1

Sweet... Just got to find someone who can do a good job of the M pars that I can afford!

For polished lips, regular applications of a wheel sealant will help prevent water spots oxidising the finish. Poor boys' brand do a very good product :

http://poorboys.myshopify.com/collections/poorboys-world-wheel-and-tyre-care/products/poorboys-world-wheel-sealant

I've been using this stuff on my recently re-shadow chromed wheels, it makes cleaning off brake dust a breeze!

Also use this, think you put me on to it. Very good investment!

I used a place on Barry's point road, they actually machined the lips, the lips were rooted. Didn't clear it because it made them dull so used autosol to keep them

Brugar Engineering? Bruce reckons he can machine and polish the lips and leave the centre paint intact (which is in good nick) so has given me a great quote!! Far cheaper than a full repaint.

Protip: coat bare metal with canuba wax layers to retain polished look.

• Like 1