Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

It dulls it significantly and looks shite as soon as it chips. Much better to leave bare metal and polish with something like autosol and keep it well waxed as Josh/Martin have both suggested IMO.

• Like 1

Brugar Engineering? Bruce reckons he can machine and polish the lips and leave the centre paint intact (which is in good nick) so has given me a great quote!! Far cheaper than a full repaint.

Yep that's the place opposite countdown
  • Like 1

Time for a proper update:

Work done:

• Replaced MAFs
  • Replaced O2 sensors
  • New plugs
  • Replaced exhaust (Magnaflow cans and tips, decat was done by PO)
  • Solved misfire on 3 cylinders by replacing offending ignition leads
  • And lots of other little jobs, cosmetic, etc

Work to do:

• Remove and refurb valve covers and exhaust manifold
  • Reassemble and replace gaskets, etc
  • Install refurbished throttle bodies
  • Replace coolant and air temp sensors
  • Install Wokke chipset (2 x DME, 1 x EML) with a pre and post dyno run
  • Flush coolant and replace expansion tank

Work to be done professionally:

• Replace Pitman arm
  • Replace belt tensioners and idlers
  • Install LSD
  • Rear brake lines (will probably do the whole lot with ss lines)
  • Replace a/c compressor

Drove the car to the Mount with Martin (breakmywindow) the other day and it held up very well. So smooth. Did around 12.5L/100 on the journey which isn't too bad but a little higher than it should be I think. Will be looking at AFR when it's on the dyno but hoping the new coolant and air temp sensors will solve any over fuelling issues.

The big repair is the Pitman arm which should solve the loose steering issues - my mechanic has thoroughly checked the rest of the suspension and it looks good (in fact the steering link rod was almost new along with some of the other front axle parts).

The big upgrade will be the 3.64 LSD and Wokke chips. Current diff is 3.15 open, so the 3.64 should make a big difference - perfect for the 4 speed auto and the consensus on the Wokke chips is that the gains will be 30bhp+ with much improved throttle response from the EML chip.

Pitman arm has arrived... Just waiting on the belt tensioners and pulleys now and good to go.

post-16586-0-29216300-1410997766_thumb.j

So, that little lot at the mechanic is going to chew up a fair chunk of cash so I expect a few cosmetic jobs (headlining, csi kit, wing mirrors, sun roof rust) might have to wait for a bit. Would love to get some of them done by the 25th anniversary meet in November but the bank/wife might disagree.

• Like 3

Hahaa... Actually, no, the boot's so full of parts and detailing products I haven't had a chance to get them out. It's on the list.

Thanks Dave. Definitely interested in how it performs... I don't mind polishing wheels but... If I don't have to...

I've enjoyed reading my way through your thread. good to see one of these getting some thorough remedial maintenence work done to get it back to near new.

my $0.02 for free:

- the CSi front

- the black looks great, stay with it

- if you can't stay with the rims you already have, these Alpinas (IMHO) are the only other wheels that look any good on these cars, though the ACS are acceptable

di-bmw_850i-c3a29a5b0eeb481cf4d811b8fcd2

i reckon my (ex) bbs basketweaves with the huge dish would look good on that car too

5501097977_90b1cfe622_z.jpg

Edited by kiwi535
  • Like 1

:wub: those Alpina rims. There is just something so good about an 80's and 90's BM with dish.

I've enjoyed reading my way through your thread. good to see one of these getting some thorough remedial maintenence work done to get it back to near new.

my $0.02 for free:

- the CSi front

- the black looks great, stay with it

- if you can't stay with the rims you already have, these Alpinas (IMHO) are the only other wheels that look any good on these cars, though the ACS are acceptable

di-bmw_850i-c3a29a5b0eeb481cf4d811b8fcd2

Edited by str8_6

i reckon my (ex) bbs basketweaves with the huge dish would look good on that car too

Posted Image

I like those! The 8er had style 5s as one of the stock options but only 16s and not dished as much as those.

I like those! The 8er had style 5s as one of the stock options but only 16s and not dished as much as those.

Bbs 412 if my memory is right 17 x 8.5 et 13

LSD going in tomorrow, plus new belt tensioners and pitman arm. Car should feel like new... Exciting!

Edited by jeffbebe

It's getting there. Steering's horrible thanks to worn splines on the pitman arm but that will be sorted this week, and the belt tensioners will get rid of an annoying squeak when you change gear at high revs. Other than that engine's running well. I replaced a couple of bad leads with some used ones from Brent but will replace all of the ignition leads soon with new. Then the big job is removing the manifolds and valve covers so I can clean them up and repaint them. I'll fit the refurb'd throttle bodies I picked up that should smooth out the throttle response and I'll be able to fix a small vac leak at the same time from the throttle body gasket on the left hand bank.

After all that I reckon it'll be as good as new. She's already very smooth with a lot of effortless power so I'm pretty excited about how she'll drive once all that maintenance is done and the chips and 3.64 final drive are in.

• Like 1

Jeez... haven't you been under there with a toothbrush... yet? :lol:

I spose you're just waiting for warmer weather ;)

does it feel faster???

• Like 2

2 wheel skids ftw.

:ph34r:

Jeez... haven't you been under there with a toothbrush... yet? :lol:

I spose you're just waiting for warmer weather ;)

does it feel faster???

hahah! Yeah, toothbrush and degreaser is definitely a summer job... Just need to find that perfect friend with an outdoor hoist. Haven't driven the Kaiser yet, its got a couple of other remedial bits to go (new brake lines and pitman arm). Can't wait... Will try and get the EML chip in before Sunday. The shorter ratio and improved throttle response should make it a lotta fun!!

• Like 1

We need video!

Wish I'd taken a video when we started it with the resonator and back boxes off.... Holy heck! Sounded epic but would get old very quickly in the cabin at those decibels!

Only one way to ensure that lsd you bought is working properly :-)

hahah! I'm too old and sensible for that sort of thing ;)

• Like 1

Go buy a 20litre vat of truck cleaner for the underneath .... Jack the car up on stands and soke for 10-15 the rinse with hose OR carefully with water blaster.

• Like 1

hahah! I'm too old and sensible for that sort of thing ;)

Bullsh*t ... hold ya foot on the brake and floor it.

• Like 1