Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

That's a good point. These are really lazy in that regard. Maybe tickle the motor and stick in a more aggressive diff.

The 850 was designed for continent crossing. Not NZ back roads.

• Like 1

Better ratio diff would make it far more lively at low speeds, can see it being well worth it for the V12

The general consensus is that the 850i with a set of Wokke chips (particularly the EML chip) and 3.91 LSD makes a very lively and very quick GT car.

Suggested figures are around 337bhp at the crank but it sounds like it's the EML (electronic throttle body controller) chip that makes all the difference. Can imagine that plus a manual gearbox or a gearbox chip for the 4 speed until I can find/afford a V12 manual, would be more than enough fun for me and I can't get over how good the 8 looks.

Did see a set of Schnitzer chips for sale on eBay for around half the Wokke chips but can't find any decent reviews. It does include EML and DME chips.

talk to lance (mellowpuff) he fitted some chips into his e34 550i recokoned it made a difference

I don't smoke (anymore) and noone's gonna be smoking in the 8 so I thought I'd turn the ashtray into something more practical. I used Frankie's DIY as inspiration: http://www.frankies-bmw.com/8series/diy/cup_holder/bmw_8series_cup_holder.php

Brent donated an old cup holder for the trial run, I'll replace with a new one if I'm happy with the finished project. Happy so far...

post-16586-14087813816238.jpg

post-16586-14087813954553.jpg

post-16586-14087814073484.jpg

Oh, and picked up a really cheap fefurb'd Tech II M3 steering wheel ($250 inc shipping) from eBay. Smaller and thicker than the stock wheel. Looks and feels amazeballs... Best investment so far!!

15007494725_50ac28744b_z.jpg

• Like 3

$20 fleabay special, Dave. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Plug-Socket-Charger-Adapter-with-4-USB-Port-/171352093647?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item27e56173cf

You can get it with lighter, USB or voltmeter - so you could do 4 x USB if you need to charge a whole lotta stuff.

EDIT: Had to cut/sand to fit obviously but not hard to do.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

Oh, and picked up a really cheap fefurb'd Tech II M3 steering wheel ($250 inc shipping) from eBay. Smaller and thicker than the stock wheel. Looks and feels amazeballs... Best investment so far!!

15007494725_50ac28744b_z.jpg

Dude

I still recon this is one of the sexiest wheels made by BMW

• Like 2

Steering wheel looks great. Clean and simple. Hope you gave it a good clean!!!

Edited by T.J

Cut and sand?

So you were buying car bits at Mitre 10.

ha! It's actually blue/red msport stitching but looks white in the bright sunlight.

You should bring her around next weekend, will be good to see this beast in person.

Let me know what gains the Wokke chips give, Ive thought about grabbing a set for mine.

Wolf reckons just under 40hp at the crank but says the EML (throttle controller) chip is the one that makes all the difference. I need to get a base dyno before I install so not sure how soon it'll happen.

• Like 1

Hey Julian if you want to bring in any bodykits from the states let me know and I can organise sea freight for you and deal with customs and duty etc. Just brought in a bunch of stuff for myself and members ..

PS. I want your wheels.

Thanks Ken. Hoping to source most stuff locally but will drop you a line if there's anything I can't get (or is too expensive) here.

Also Julian, do you find your 850 to be a pain to fill with fuel? Fuel seems to cavitate in the filler and trips the pump nozzles safety constantly. I end up standing there slowly filling the car . Is yours the same? Otherwise I might have a tank breather issue.

If you turn the pump handle upside down it makes it much less sensitive to splash back. Still shuts off when full though.

• Like 1

^ this works. Also, have just remembered that last time I filled up the pump did, in fact, not shut off until fuel spilled over the top, so I seem to have the opposite problem!