Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

Interior Water Leak

It would appear my E30 has started leaking a bit into the drivers foot well. Its started recently as we've had heavy rain here in Auckland. It seems to be dripping down from somewhere onto the brake pedal. Its getting a bit bad and I wanna nip it in the bud before it gets rusty. Has anyone had leaking issues on the drivers side before? Common problem?

Will post a picture later on.

Edited by Skeet

It would appear my E30 has started leaking a bit into the drivers foot well. Its started recently as we've had heavy rain here in Auckland. It seems to be dripping down from somewhere onto the brake pedal. Its getting a bit bad and I wanna nip it in the bud before it gets rusty. Has anyone had leaking issues on the drivers side before? Common problem?

Will post a picture later on.

I had the problem last year ( althought mine seeped down behind the carpet, didn't "drip" onto anything ). It seemed to be from a backed up "elephants trunk" drain in the engine bay. Take that off and see if it's blocked.

Or else it could be your heater unit that's leaking. But I don't think that would drip onto your brake pedal?

Pipe looks like this, and is on the drivers side firewall in the engine bay.

DSCF2218.JPG

Thanks mate I'll give that a go.

Hopefully it's a blocked pipe in the trunk. A fault in the heater unit requires a dash removal afaik.

edit: The "trunk" rotates off, it doesn't lever off. And mine basically disintegrated in my hand due to age, so be careful if you want to reuse it.

Edited by vtgts300kw

rust holes in the fire wall (hope not)

misaligned rubber grommets where cables/pipes pass through into engine bay

windscreen seal.

In addition to above..

Cut the narrow end off the elephant trunk so it is harder for dirt to block it up.

Sound like windscreen seal to me but If you have a sunroof the front drain tubes run inside the A pillar and can rust / become disconnected.

If you have rust on the lip of the corner of your bonnet seal (near engine bay battery position) water could be dripping onto the Air con lines and then running into the car.

I assume your battery is in engine bay being a 316i, pull it out and make sure there is no rust underneath as the battery tray is also a common rust spot

It's a significant amount and it seems to have gotten worse lately. Will have to have a proper look at the weekend. Doubt it's rust given its garaged history. Won't known for sure till I give it a proper look. Will post pictures.

I've been monitoring it and it seems like theres two separate leaks. One coming from around the pedals up near the steering shaft and a second one that seems to be coming through the inside of the door. Although the carpet between the door and the floor is dry, theres a huge wet patch on the right side of the foot well and I cannot for the life of me find its source. Could it be coming from underneath? It sometimes fills up even when I'm not driving though??

Such a mystery.