Sign in to follow this  
B.M.W Ltd

BMW Airbag Recall

Dealer replaced mine about 6 weeks ago on the E46 M3 . That will explain it.

• Like 1

The info on this is actually a little confusing.

Which airbag is it that they are replacing, some report only the passenger side one, some report state the side airbags (ones in the door), and then there are those that state it is the driver, passenger and side (I presume the door airbags as opposed to the A pillar ones)??

Edited by M3_Power

Does this include early build E90s ? We have just bought one and it's at McMillan's at the moment.

I can't seem to find an official link about this? (is there one?)

I spoke to McMillans today & couldnt get any sense from them. Wanted me to bring the key in as it would tell them more about the recall than the chassis #.... Huh?

• Like 1

How can you tell if your car is part of the recall?

Apparantely they need your key.... NZ new cars are supposed to get a letter (guessing this is from BMW NZ via the LTNZ) but no idea for used imports or when this might happen. Team McMillan didn't even seem to know about a recall when I called them...

would be good to know the status for imports. While BMW NZ may not be keen to foot the cost on a vehicle they've not sold new, surely the global parent would be covering on basis on maintaining brand quality and safety.

It's not like BMW NZ don't make good coin from parts and service sales on imports; I've certainly felt like I'd had a kidney extracted on the occasions I've purchased parts from my local Official BMW dealer.

Mine is a import . Not sure what the policy is on this. The particular dealer has been giving me exceptional service of late .

Mine is a import . Not sure what the policy is on this. The particular dealer has been giving me exceptional service of late .

i should hope so now you run BMWCCNZ Wellington

(NZ new) So do I just sit back and wait for the letter and hope I don't get a shard facial?Or do I need to be proactive?

I have two others in my family which are imports?!?!?

Is it a big job?

Cheers.

They are easy to get to. Takes about 10 minutes to get the door card off with care and also disconnect battery.

Passenger door air bag can be seen here ( note this was taken prior to replacement)

RIMG0781_zps310281d4.jpg

Front pillars also come off reasonably easy. Tabs can be a bit brittle from what I hear though.

• Like 1

Good to know it easy to do, mine will get replaced then all of them will be stripped out of the car ready for the cage!. Wonder if they are worth anything

"Shards could fly out and cause injury"!!

My gosh...

Probably just the media winding things up as usual.

Good to know it easy to do, mine will get replaced then all of them will be stripped out of the car ready for the cage!. Wonder if they are worth anything

They're good fun to blow up.

Damn. If it were the drivers door, I'd get the window regulator fixed at the same time...

Spoke to Team Mcmillan today, apparently all NZ new and imports affected will get a letter, They will get your details via LTNZ.

The guy in service department i spoke to didnt really sound like he wanted to help...

BMW Group NZ have not released the recall notice to dealers yet, as they haven't got the complete list of vehicles affected. As soon as this is released, the dealers will be notified, along with owners.

As you can imagine, this isn't a 5 minute job.

• Like 1

Dropped in to Gray's to ask about this the lass took my vin number and said they would forward it on to BMWNZ and I would hear in due course if my vehicle was one included in this recall. If Aiden is correct and the dealers don't have the info then who is dragging the chain on this issue or has some one jumped the gun?.

Edited by tim 325

Considering there have apparently been no incidents in bmws in the past decade i dont think a day or two will make a difference.

Not sure if you have been in side a major recall before but slow and methodical means no mistakes or exclusions. quite the opposite of how the media report it.

Spoke with someone in the know about this ... apparently the "current" list of recall stands at about 1000 ... but it's a really odd list as some cars are covered whilst others are not even if made in the same month and of same model (and of the same part number).

I am told it's a bit of a mess at the moment with this recall.

Supposedly it's just the passenger airbag in the dash and not the one in the door or the A-pillar.

Hope this sheds some light for those waiting for that letter.

Edited by M3_Power