Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

E46 M3 Touring @ Hellbm

With the only E46 M3 Touring ever made by BMW as inspiration I have set out to make our own version.

Starting with a 2004 M Spec 318T as a base and a 2002 damaged M3 as a donor a start was made today when the Touring arrived.We spent a couple of hours pulling bent parts of the car and loading am M3 bonnet on to start the transformation process.

This build thread https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.326215047461492.73510.114076275342038&type=1 gives good insight into the build process. A big plus will be the MK60 DSC as part of the 318`s spec sheet and having all running gear plus a good rear cut to use.

Here are some pics starting with the E46 M3T stored in the Basement at BMW.

post-1470-0-53095900-1405575995_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-18814200-1405575996.jpg

post-1470-0-48161000-1405575996.jpg

post-1470-0-75230800-1405575996.jpg

post-1470-0-49733600-1405575997.jpg

jy66242.pdf

• Like 9

Will you be keeping the facelift look or prefacelift coupe look like e46 m3? Always wanted to do this but not in the right financial position for it. Will be keen to see what happens with this. Cant wait!

M3 from A pillar forward.That includes bonnet,gaurds and bumper.

wow awesome!

Looking forward to the development and final product.

Awesomeness! Does this mean the s54 you have on trademe isnt for sale anymore?

Awesomeness! Does this mean the s54 you have on trademe isnt for sale anymore?

I have 3 s54`s here with manual setups. only 1 is for sale.

• Like 1

Cool Project, cant wait to see end result

This will be pretty sweet once its finished.. I would like to do the sedan conversion like this after my E39 project

Epic : ) I was actually thinking about perhaps doing a project like this as opposed to a race car .... hmmmmm

• Like 1

quite a few running round now, i gues the prices on the M3 donor is nothing now

think yours will be first in New Zealand though

Wow, just gone thru the Facebook build from the UK, you certainly have a lot of work ahead of you, not least the wiring it seems.

Epic car though !

Agree with andy. Im sure many wanted to do this but just the pricing and availability of m3 doner cars werent as many in the past. Now seems like the perfect time.

The point of this exercise is to try and replicate the blue Touring that I posted the build thread on. That means the rear wheel arches and spare tyre well delete. It seems to be the only one around that has been done to this extent. There are a few S54 powered tourings around which is easy to do. We intend to make it only the second of its kind.

Step 1 is getting it back on the road/reclomplied.

Pics of M3 & Touring rear wheel arches

post-1470-0-97935100-1405655005.jpg

post-1470-0-38407100-1405655006.jpg

• Like 3

Very cool project Ray, love your post above, it's the details like the arches that make all the difference.

• Like 1

^ +1

Will be pretty special done properly and not just a straight engine-conversion! Can't wait to see the finished car.

yep gunna be cool allright! assume you will be keeping it 4 door right??? goiung to be fun playing with those gaurds!

E46 M3 the pick for me, and a touring body style so Dexter can come too!

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

It shouldn't be too difficult to cut a massive square and retain the guard the make that work with the existing. I dont think there is any point mincing around with trying to cut and paste on the actual guard itself. The rear doors will need a bump out to match the curve and the fuel cap and the rear sill will be the hardest part I think as its quite different. Still it will alllllllllll be worth it for sure. No point taking any easy way out panel jobs on this one .. as you said youre going to the effort to unstitch the rear boot floor to accomodate the exhaust, might as well put the same effort into getting the rear guards perfect.

• Like 1

Based on the attention to detail you've put into your other cars this is going to be an outstanding project.

An M3 Touring would have to be one the best parts getters/dog carriers out there. I know that the metal work involved wouldn't make it practical, but an M3 Shooting Brake would be mind blowing.

Had a chat with Ray about this today, it will sure be quite the project. Perhaps the ultimate project even?

The touring E46s might just be my favourite shape.

Will see what we can do about coding it to be a true "e46 M3 Touring"

• Like 1

Subscribed.