Sign in to follow this  
AbsoluteGary

E30 Noob - Though some of you might know the car

Recently became the proud new owner of a particular brilliantrot e30 e318is (+turbo).

When I bought it, the diff was making noise, the clutch was (and still is) slipping due to a cheap replacement, the short shift lever was grinding on the driveshaft and it failed a warrant due to the missing highbeam. I've since fixed (or had fixed) all but the clutch and just on the hunt for a decent road clutch that'll take the power it's putting out.

I believe the motor was done by Kayne Barrie (or one of his apprentices) in '03 and has been through a few owners in and around Auckland.

Here for the knowledge and the know-how that graces these forums and hopefully attend a few meets.

Y1A2utt.jpg?1qix9S2z.jpg?1

R7lZ88q.jpg?1

Sorry for the shitty quality I-phone photos.

Edited by AbsoluteGary

welcome! any photos of the engine bay?

specs on the engine build?

Welcome! Looking nice mate, been around for a while, owned by a few members. Nothing beats the look of a classic e30 on rs's!

• Like 1

From what I've been told the following are some of the main modifications:

• m42b18
  • Mosselman log manifold
  • JE Forged pistons + lowered CR
  • Garrett t3 turbo
  • Motec m4 ECU with full electronic engine maps + boost control (Had ICV delete)
  • Quaife LSD
  • Turbo cams
  • Getrag 260 Gearbox
  • Koni gas adjustables with eibach springs
  • Custom intercooler setup with superstealthy low profile intercooler

Haven't seen any dyno sheets but supposedly puts out about 300hp at 16psi.

EXljhNm.jpgAUZglyN.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the engine has been well built!! Bring it to the dyno day tomorrow!!

Where abouts? I'd love to dyno it but it's not gonna be any good with the clutch slipping like an absolute slut under boost. Need to get my hands on a new one, or resurface this one

Edited by AbsoluteGary

Where abouts? I'd love to dyno it but it's not gonna be any good with the clutch slipping like an absolute slut under boost. Need to get my hands on a new one, or resurface this one

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/49781-auckland-dyno-day-2nd-august-2014-mcr-automotive/

on the shore tomorrow ..

dont have to dyno, but we might get a good showout of members just to watch

!!

looks good, would be interesting to see it on the dyno after the clutch replacement. PLEASE paint that coil bracket!

• Like 1

Unfortunately went to leave for the dyno day today and it wouldn't start, even with the aid of a jump. Testing battery later on today but praying it's not the alternator, but does anyone know the best place to go for a replacement alternator if that's the case?

Coil bracket might be another good use for that Plasti-dip :D

Still having issues with battery / charging. Repco charged and tested the battery and because it came out fine, won't replace it under warranty.

However I find it hard to believe that a battery that went dead overnight when DISCONNECTED from the earth cable is a working battery. I'm getting 13.7volts at idle after fully charging it however that voltage doesn't change at all with increased engine revs so I guess there is the potential that the alternator is on its way out. You had any experience with stuff like this?

13.7 is quite low especially if it doesnt change with revs. try sca for a free battery test. they can test in car which tests the alternator too.

• Like 1

What do SCA do that tests the alternator? And what do they test for?

Battery was definitely knackered and have got a replacement. Charging behaviour hasn't changed however, so waiting anxiously to see if the battery continues to die.

Discovered I was reading my Multimeter wrong and my "30ma" draw was actually 300. Fuses 27 and 28 seem to be the culprits for the massive draw so just in the process of trying to locate the cause. Fuse 28 only powers the cigarette lighter and the antenna (which has been removed) so I've just removed that fuse and ignoring it for now.

They will test the battery much like repco did but in car they then start the engine which will test starter motor voltage drop. Then it tests alternator charge voltage while running and prints out a little report.

• Like 1

Cheers man.

As an update to my electrical issues:

Replaced battery (got it on warranty)

Replaced voltage regulator with new aftermarket part

Found the circuits causing my parasitic drain

And no more starting issues!

Getting new s52 clutch put in this weekend which should take care of that issue as well!