_ethrty-Andy_

Official Tools for Hire Thread

I flashed MHD tune without any power supply/charger at all. But, I knew my battery was healthy and charged.

I also flashed CIC (about 30min) and EGS (5min but takes a bit of prep for Alpina flash) the same way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sobanoodle said:

I flashed MHD tune without any power supply/charger at all. But, I knew my battery was healthy and charged.

I also flashed CIC (about 30min) and EGS (5min but takes a bit of prep for Alpina flash) the same way.

Well done. You obvious;y have a healthy battery and had all accessories turned off. It doesn't always work out that way with different flash programs

8 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Well done. You obvious;y have a healthy battery and had all accessories turned off. It doesn't always work out that way with different flash programs

I know, that's why I will not attempt to flash the whole car at once. 

PS: did you sell your power supply on facebook? Pretty sure I saw the same unit for sale a while back, not surprisingly euro surgeon were quick to take it. 

5 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

So now you are going to use my near death experience that i shared on here to try and win a disagreement.... wow

lol, no Glenn of course not. Your Dexter episode (if that's what you're referring to) couldn't have been further from my mind. I'd never make fun of serious misadventure, clearly "red mist" doesn't mean what you think it means.

And any disagreement is a figment of your imagination, I'm not a participant.

Anyway.

I don't need one right now, but so i know for future, does anyone have a valve shim tool for S50B30/32?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, M3AN said:

Now, if you have specific knowledge that 20A isn't sufficient as a support supply, even though the OP only asked for 10A, then do share it, that might actually be helpful. I'd certainly be interested.

Just been to check the current draw on the charger hooked-up to my drive car which is currently having a software upgrade for a couple of modules.

Has been drawing betwen 17.3A - 17.5A for the last ten minutes, at just over 14V. That was after an initial spike of over 20A. I didn't think to take my phone with me to take a photo of the read out, but can do if you want.

Things to bear in mind - this is only a quick programming update, not a full car reprogramme so draws a lot less current (as I understand it from the techies that do this more often than me). Plus 20A rating for constant 17A is not a lot of head-room for spikes and peaks.

• Like 1

Wheres all the power going? Is there some horrendously inefficient regulator in there? I imagine all the internals are at 3.3v and using mA's of power. 350W seems like madness? 

No photos necessary, I believe you and that's interesting info.

Headroom isn't such a consideration because the battery itself is a reservoir, it's only if that reservoir gets dangerously low that you'd need to fill it up faster that you're draining it.

As we've already established people have been successful with no support, 10A support and 12A support so I actually think the duration of the exercise (flash) and the condition of the battery are the two most important factors to consider. Assuming you have a good 800 CCA or higher battery it would take a couple of hours for 17A to have it drop below 13.8 volts (+/- depends on actual Ah rating of the battery).

Edit: to avoid any confusion about my position on this, I'm NOT advocating people do this without battery support and a device such as the one Glenn had would be the best tool for the job. The reality is that most of us don't have a $2000 device so need to consider other, viable methods.

Edited by M3AN

On 2/28/2019 at 1:13 PM, M3AN said:

The reality is that most of us don't have a $2000 device so need to consider other, viable methods.

GOOD jumper cables and a second, running, car :thumbs-up:

There are a LOT of modules hidden in modern stuff!

It doesn't run when the engine is off, but the electric auxilliary cabin heater in our VW Tourans draw 80 amps at full power... but on a winter morning, the cabin is hot, before the engine is up to temperature B)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Allanw said:

GOOD jumper cables and a second, running, car :thumbs-up:

Or a rodent on a treadmill... ;)

Anyone got a m62 camshaft tuning tool kit for hire please thanks

Been reading all the posts regarding the battery charger. Fun times.

Anyway, I'm looking to invest in a slightly bigger charger (but probably not as flash as Glenn's one :P ). Mainly because I'm looking to do my xHP flash pretty soon as well. Unless someone has a charger (at least 20-25A that they can lend to me for a day / few hours) :P

I managed to do the big MHD flash (~40 mins) with my CTEK 5 amp charger without any issue, but from what I hear the xHP flash draws a lot more current than the MHD flash. So to err on the safe side I'll probably look towards a 20-30A charger for my piece of mind. If anyone has any brand or model recommendations (e.g. CTEK), what are your favorites?

Edited by Arma
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Arma said:

I managed to do the big MHD flash (~40 mins) with my CTEK 5 amp charger without any issue, but from what I hear the xHP flash draws a lot more current than the MHD flash.

Took me 15min all up to do the initial flash (8HP) ;)  

Tells you exactly how long it is going to take.

• Like 1

Anyone have a scan tool for an E87 130i, will hire off you ? Or if there's a recommended one to buy? 

Baeed in Welly

Edited by NZ_InFerno

Anyone have a hub bearing puller set I could borrow? Need to pull the front and rear hubs from an E46. I've purchased a set but won't be here soon and I need it for Monday ?

Located Auckland 

Looking to borrow a D-CAN or modified VAG-COM USB cable for use with NCS Expert.

I need to do some programming and mine are buried in my storage containers somewhere.  It's been 4 years and I have no idea where they are.

In Masterton.  Wellington is fine.  I will be there often.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:32 PM, GorGasm said:

Lol I had one here ?

Haha send it down to me.  I will send it back when I sort it out.

Hey guys does anyone have a tool like this or similar? Looking to borrow for one windscreen install  rather than buy. Cheers 359957CE-B372-47E5-834F-484DE2D2CF3C.thumb.jpeg.533d11a2ffb397c4de6f1df4935172ea.jpeg

I have an engine brace for hire if anyone needs.  In Howick Auckland.

PM me if you want to borrow

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone have dual vanos timing locker kit I could borrow (M54)?  Thanks

9 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Any one have the tools for hire to remove rear lower ball joints and the rear subframe bushes on an e39 Touring ?

Ive got a threaded rod with brass press cups that i bought as the e39 rear ball joint tool from the UK. Is the touring the same?

Tool looks like the one in attached image for ‘ball joints’ also in image. 

795665AC-9547-406E-B2F6-D3F4D970B92F.jpeg