_ethrty-Andy_

Official Tools for Hire Thread

N52 timing tools to rent (could pick up in Auckland), as im doing a strip down on a motor.

In saying that, anyone done it without?

Edited by 325_driver

Anyone got an engine crane I can borrow (south auckland?) Seems a bit silly to go buy one as dont plan on using it very often :D 

Edited by Jacko

On 7/21/2021 at 11:14 AM, 325_driver said:

N52 timing tools to rent (could pick up in Auckland), as im doing a strip down on a motor.

In saying that, anyone done it without?

Did you have any luck.  I am looking for same thing.  

Any Wellington based people able to rent me out a torque wrench suitable for doing my 130i spark plugs (30nm)?  

I've got 3/8" spark plug socket but reckon I'll need the wrench & extension piece. 

3 hours ago, IainR said:

Any Wellington based people able to rent me out a torque wrench suitable for doing my 130i spark plugs (30nm)?  

I've got 3/8" spark plug socket but reckon I'll need the wrench & extension piece. 

Not in Welly but if you run out of options (or have none), happy to ship mine for the cost of return shipping.

Edit: I didn't suggest this initially because it's just a target for criticism here on BS but you don't need a torque wrench for this, 30nm is "pretty tight", not loose and not RFT, just "pretty tight".

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 for do them up tight. Not RFT. No torque wrench needed. 

I ended up duct taping two extensions together to get enough length to get to the spark plugs. My plug socket was too grippy and it pulled the extension off on the first one I did lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are they a taper seat or crush washer style? Going from the NGK boxes, once the plug is seated hand tight a taper seat is a further tweak of about an 16th of a turn, whilst a crush washer style is around half to three quarter a turn to tighten.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, M3AN said:

Not in Welly but if you run out of options (or have none), happy to ship mine for the cost of return shipping.

Edit: I didn't suggest this initially because it's just a target for criticism here on BS but you don't need a torque wrench for this, 30nm is "pretty tight", not loose and not RFT, just "pretty tight".

Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated! 

Also, I didn't realise 30nm wasnt RFT so I'll just crack on with the tools I have. Cheers for the input too @NZ_InFerno

@KwSI'll have to go check the washers 👍

• Like 1

You'll be able to get a gauge on tightness when you take out the 6 current plugs too. Will give you a rough idea of how tight they need to be in. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have a sander that I can borrow from tomorrow to Christmas? Just need to quicken up the work to make the gift in time for Christmas! Will be used on wood, ideally one that’s able to go from 60-80 grit up to 180+.

11 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

Does anyone have a sander that I can borrow from tomorrow to Christmas? Just need to quicken up the work to make the gift in time for Christmas! Will be used on wood, ideally one that’s able to go from 60-80 grit up to 180+.

What flavor are you after ? I have a belt and rando orbital.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cement said:

What flavor are you after ? I have a belt and rando orbital.

Orbital would be great! You based in Auckland?

Does anyone  have a 32mm Fan Clutch tool in AKL? E30 but think they are the same

Or does a wrench and mallet do the same job? Not removed one before as my E46 had an electric fan.

3 hours ago, Sammo said:

Does anyone  have a 32mm Fan Clutch tool in AKL? E30 but think they are the same

Or does a wrench and mallet do the same job? Not removed one before as my E46 had an electric fan.

Yes to both, I have a special tool but also have a 32mm spanner and rubber mallet that also do the trick. You can borrow either but I'm heading out of Auckland tomorrow for about a week, could leave the tool out somewhere for you to collect though if you wanted.

Edited by M3AN
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Yes to both, I have a special tool but also have a 32mm spanner and rubber mallet that also do the trick. You can borrow either but I'm heading out of Auckland tomorrow for about a week, could leave the tool out somewhere for you to collect though if you wanted.

That would be amazing thanks Dave! When are you back in AKL? I'll likely not get around to this job (cambelt / waterpump)  till First week of Jan anyway 👍

17 hours ago, Sammo said:

That would be amazing thanks Dave! When are you back in AKL? I'll likely not get around to this job (cambelt / waterpump)  till First week of Jan anyway 👍

I'll be back before New Year's Eve and then hanging around so sure, hit me up then and they're all yours.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, M3AN said:

I'll be back before New Year's Eve and then hanging around so sure, hit me up then and they're all yours.

Happy New Year mate - can’t seem to message you direct.

My delayed FCP order finally arrived so still keen to borrow those tools if possible?

On 12/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, M3AN said:

My delayed FCP order finally arrived so still keen to borrow those tools if possible?

14 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Inbox cleared and replied. 👌

Anybody in Auckland have a rivnut / rivet nut / nutsert tool for hire or borrow ? Just need up to M6 for a half dozen fittings.

In fact I do, I have one of these you can borrow:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-401281-m6x10-rivnut-installation-tool-msc-pn09331786/

But I actually found it lacking so I made my own which was much better, assuming I can find that you can borrow that also.

Mount Wellington - PM me if you think any of that will help.

Edited by M3AN

Anyone in Wellington got a code reader & willing to help me figure out why the check engine light has come on in my gfs Suzuki SX4?? 😁

4 minutes ago, IainR said:

Anyone in Wellington got a code reader & willing to help me figure out why the check engine light has come on in my gfs Suzuki SX4?? 😁

I've got one but wouldn't be able to scan it for you for a few days 🤒