Sign in to follow this  
Jibs05

Trolley jack recommendations?

i'm going to give myself a treat and by my self a jack!! just wondering if there are any particular ones to look for? I've been eyeing up the powerbuilt one from repco comes with creeper and 2 jack stands (to add to my collection of 4 all ready).

I've never really owned my own jack, just borrowed from work/Friends haha

cheers

avoid powerbuilt ... had several and even my current one has died (again)

The best jack ive found for the $$$ is the little alloy ones from save barn (when theyre in stock). If you dont need to lift really really high then these are perfect. Theyre light, easily broken down if you say want to use it for a track day or a mates place. And 90% of the race series use them

There are some similar on trade me for $100 more

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/jacks/auction-775200071.htm

Bought this a month or two ago and it seems to work pretty well. Can get to the diff no worries but front needs to be raised first to reach a solid jacking point. It's also really light! No double pump like hybrid's post but it is $150 cheaper so choose your poison.

If you're really serious, there are beasts like this which are seriously low and seriously long, but because it's steel it comes to a whopping 50kg!

• Like 1

Segedins on Dominion Road sell low profile aluminium floor jacks, good prices also depending on the load

My 3 ton powerbuilt i bought in '04 has served me flawlessly.

Supercheap does good ones. Have bought their prices down to match competitors like repco etc but are the only cheap brands that actually test and meet the more strict voluntary standards. So more piece of mind. Get a wide jack wo

Ith wide wheels. Wont topple and doesnt sink into softer ground. Also dont forget axle stands.

If you are transporting alot consider an alloy jack.

Depending on where in Auckland you are, head down to Wallace Heron Engineering supplies in Pukekohe. Picked up a low profile 3 ton 500mm lift for about $250ish not long ago.

Seems to be good so far. Think the brand name is Big Red or something like that

wow thanks all for the replies. I think the powerbuilt has dropped to second place, i've been eyeing up a Torin low pro jack, it has a twin hydraulic pump so getting it up fast is def a plus. I think its similar to the one Matt mentioned above. big red by Torin. Might give them a call tomorrow!

the only reason i was looking at the PB jack was because a friend works at repco. Can do warranty claims anytime haha

ill will be using the jack for home use mostly (rear subframe needs an overhaul soon)

Have one of those supercheap alloy racing jacks. low enough to get under my lowered race mini and is more than up to putting an e36 on two wheels.

Only small annoyance is the circlip on one of the wheels pops off every now and then.

Have seen a couple of those ally units crap out, one over time and the other while lifting a '74 XJ6 at the diff.

Needless to say it got ripped apart and taken to the scrappies fairly quickly.

Never seen a workshop use an alloy jack......just sayin'

• Like 1

Can get you a wayco one at a goood price bro. Come see me in the weekend

Got a sca- super cheap 3ton and is good as. Gets car nice and high, and controllable when going down, doesn't just drop like others. Very sturdy, rather heavy. Good price too. Have had for about 4 years.

Also if you're a sca club member doesn't matter if it's not on special as you'll be reimbursed the difference when it is.

Edited by euroriffic

Definitely keep an eye out for the Powerbuilt ones.

Then get something else.

• Like 2

Bought this a month or two ago and it seems to work pretty well. Can get to the diff no worries but front needs to be raised first to reach a solid jacking point. It's also really light! No double pump like hybrid's post but it is $150 cheaper so choose your poison.

Yeah thats the one ... great little jacks

Have seen a couple of those ally units crap out, one over time and the other while lifting a '74 XJ6 at the diff.

Needless to say it got ripped apart and taken to the scrappies fairly quickly.

Never seen a workshop use an alloy jack......just sayin'

Thanks for the heads up. The mini is so low that my trusty old motorguard won't get under it. I'm one of those OCD types that will always use a secondary measure such as axle stands.

Edited by Neal

I've also had one of the Save Barn alloy units crap out. Although it did last for a few years at the race track doing quite a bit of work.

I've actually just bought 4 axles stands and a solid 3.5T trolley jack, again from Save Barn. The only thing is the minimum height is 120mm but I don't have any lowered cars anymore. The axles stands were $23 a pair!

@Neal I'm not saying all alloy jacks are bad. The item in question was rated to 3 ton and was lifting just over 1/3rd it's rated capacity when it failed. Jack was less than 4 months old, DIY use only and had fluid checked before it was used. Not a cheap unit either, have vague memories of it costing upwards of $400.

Base of diff housing would have been about 2 1/2 feet off the ground, jack groaned then spewed its oil out on the floor and down came the cat. Happily we didn't get the stands in place nor had we removed the wheels. Might have just been a bad seal but it's scared me off them for life.

Money no object this is the only Alloy Jack I would ever buy or use (I wished I had one actually)... have had way to many China made alloy jack fail on me that I avoid them at all costs, except for perhaps a wheel change job, but most definitely nothing heavy duty:

pro_series_flat_jack.jpg

http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/low_profile_jacks.html

The Powerbuilt low profile 3ton is a good jack. I have had this for over 10 years now and it has seen some pretty heavy duty use (engine, gearbox you name it) and it has performed flawlessly. It is also the only Powerbuilt jack that I would recommend. I have friends that own workshops and this is the only one that they get from Powerbuilt - they have had cars lifted on this jack and left on the jack for weeks without it dropping a mm - and from what I have seen it gets abused thoroughly as a jack and still carries on working. Also low enough and long enough reach to get under almost every car out there.

647580w.gif

Edited by M3_Power

I have a Wayco Jack. It cost me around $18K in lost income when I tried to pick it up one day. Wrecked my back.

• Like 1

Heya,

I know this topic is a little bit older, I am currently looking for a low profile floor jack myself, does not need to be alloy, it is for home use and doesn't get moved around.

Needs to be below 300 and pickup in AKL, does anyone have experience/knowledge about those 3 jacks? I appreciate the help :-)

https://www.staparts.co.nz/View-A-Product.aspx?id=29458&description=Jack%203%20ton%20workshop%20floor%20low%20profile%20min%20height%2070mm%20max%2050

https://www.chevpac.co.nz/catalogue/page/hydraulic-trolley-jacks_ATO_S438/trolley-jack-2-5-ton-low-profile-75mm-min_HJ-280580?p=1

https://www.sulco.co.nz/1-8-TON-LOW-PROFILE-TROLLEY-JACK.html

Cheers

1 hour ago, kiwi75 said:

Heya,

I know this topic is a little bit older, I am currently looking for a low profile floor jack myself, does not need to be alloy, it is for home use and doesn't get moved around.

Needs to be below 300 and pickup in AKL, does anyone have experience/knowledge about those 3 jacks? I appreciate the help 🙂

https://www.staparts.co.nz/View-A-Product.aspx?id=29458&description=Jack 3 ton workshop floor low profile min height 70mm max 50

https://www.chevpac.co.nz/catalogue/page/hydraulic-trolley-jacks_ATO_S438/trolley-jack-2-5-ton-low-profile-75mm-min_HJ-280580?p=1

https://www.sulco.co.nz/1-8-TON-LOW-PROFILE-TROLLEY-JACK.html

Cheers

I'm not a jack expert, but after my crappy '1.5 ton' (LOL) jack from supercheap couldn't lift my E46 high enough to get jackstands underneath before sagging out, I got one of these from an outfit on the North Shore:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/other/listing/2937002980?bof=SkHPhXfD

Had no issues with it - built like a tank (well over 40kg), lifts my car with minimal pumps like its a feather and has a nice slow release.

Edited by Sammo