Sign in to follow this  
timetodrive

Instrument Cluster Repair Rave

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would let you know about the great service I got from this guy.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=1969570

His name is Kerry and he has repaired my instrument cluster and mid for my E38.My mid was doing the usual pixels are gone and it was a get around to it thing.

The cluster lights on the second row stopped functioning and then the stepper motor on the speedo failed showing a maximum speed of 40km so I had to have something done.

Auto sparky told me it would be 4 weeks and around $800.00 - $1000.00 for the repairs.

I found him on Trademe and after a quick chat I boxed it all up and sent it to be repaired. The service has been excellent, he has sent me pictures showing the issues within the units, progress images as they have been repaired, and the completed repair images. The turn around has been 4 DAYS! Including overnight couriers in both directions!

The repairs completed were

New mid led and bulbs,

New resistors in instrument cluster lighting circuit,

All stepper motors replaced in the instrument cluster,

3 new bulbs in instrument cluster.

Total cost including shipping was $360.00 with a 12 month warranty

If you need some work done on this part of your car I thoroughly recommend talking to him. He is based in Christchurch.

Pm me if you want his contact details.

Cheerspost-6015-0-43563100-1410406104.jpg

Edited by timetodrive
  • Like 5

Hi there, why did you have to change resistors and stepped motors? What were the symptoms? Cheers.

Hi there, why did you have to change resistors and stepped motors? What were the symptoms? Cheers.

Top row of lights on the dash led display went out even though the bulbs were fine meaning you couldn't see the odometer, temp, etc without the sun being directly on it or with a torch. Stepper motor in speedo wouldn't display more than 40km per hour and would only return to 20km rather than sitting on zero. He said he had only repaired about 4 resistor in the time he has been doing it and stepper motors weren't that common either.

Kerry said that someone had already been in the dash at some point and that may have contributed to the stepper failure as the armature on them is damaged easily

Edited by timetodrive
  • Like 1

Guest cortez

hi josh im suffering the problems with missing pixels and whatnot if I could have kerrys contact details .ta

Have just sent an 18 button MID to Kerry for repairs. Quoted a very reasonable $150 (tracked shipping is only $5). Will post results.

Yep, often in contact with Kerry, Infact have been today too. PM me if you want his contact

Just got my MID back from Kerry. He's done a fantastic job. Very happy.

post-16586-0-10231500-1417384212.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/11/2014 at 12:50 PM, timetodrive said:

Hi...Not sure if you're still around but I would like that contact number?

Edited by GG11

Hi Guys, just thought I’d revive this thread with some more Kerry praise.

Sent my E36 MID (8 button) down to him last week and he’s done a great job. Fixed the faded/broken pixels on the screen with a ribbon change. 
Cost was $115 and $10 for shipping. 
Great communication with updates and fast turnover A+. 
PM me for his mobile number. 

• Like 1

I would also be interested in contact details to see if he is able to have a look at my e30 cluster

I would also like to get Kerrys ph to have a look at instrument lcd screen, audi a4. could someone pm details. thanks

Thread necro... Is Kerry still around or someone similar in Auckland? e39 cluster repair required...

Finally got my e39 cluster repaired. Little bit of a mission... My auto electrician said they don't do that sort of thing and recommended ASCO Instruments in Manukau. 

But I called them and spoke to Jun and he didn't want to know. Stated if it was broken there was no way to fix it and I would need to buy a new cluster and have it coded. His reasoning was all the plastics would be brittle and trying to take it apart would just break it more...

So I called Bellar's and got Kevin's wife(?). She said try google. 

Eventually found Robinson's Instruments in Onehunga. Paul on the phone wasn't sure they could repair it but at least was willing to look. I dropped it off and two weeks later job was done. Installed it today and am happy with the result.

Edited by MD13