Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

Whats it worth? 1996 E39 544 ac Schnitzer

Ask me about the E38 and I'm reasonably knowledgeable. Bit out of my depth with the E39 though.

So I've come across a 1996 e39 544 ac Schnitzer. Green with a tan interior(not my favourite colour combo).Interior is mint. Clear coat is going on side mirrors and most sharp edges on the body. No rust. Now, here's the good bit.

It's a genuine 1 owner with 37,000k on it.

I've never heard of a 544 before. Is it a rare find?

So where would the value be on this? Is it a 10k car?

I know there's a ton of E39 guys out there.. Feel free to chime in and give your opinion on whether or not I should be looking a bit more seriously at this.

Cheers

Surely its a 540? They had a 4.4L v8. Had my eye on these for a while and considering kms id probably guess value to be 7-8k? Which is top dollar as i've seen not so great examples sell for >4k

It will be a 540i all of which had a 4.4l.

As far as schnitzer its probably a standard car with a couple of badges and maybe a bodykit added.

540i range from 2k - 6k usually for that age. Newer ones up to 13ish.

Be very cautious paying extra for the owners claims its a genuine schnitzer... They apparently all are according to what sellers say but its not worth squat.

Sorry didnt see the part about one owner low kms.

Still prob not a 10k car. The just arent that rare unless it turned out to be a genuine full ac schnitzer car which is unlikely.

Sorry didnt see the part about one owner low kms.

Still prob not a 10k car. The just arent that rare unless it turned out to be a genuine full ac schnitzer car which is unlikely.

Finding a full genuine schnitzer is like hens teeth. You're right 99% of "schnitzers" have 1 or 2 schnitzer parts and 7 million badges.

So how do you go about verifying if it's a genuine Schnitzer or not?

Its got a 544 badge on the boot but after a bit more online searching I think that some people think that car was named wrong..lol

544BADGE.jpg

Judging by the second 4 being wonky id say its been changed

• Like 1

So how do you go about verifying if it's a genuine Schnitzer or not?

Its got a 544 badge on the boot but after a bit more online searching I think that some people think that car was named wrong..lol

544BADGE.jpg

Do you know much about its history? If its a Jap or Singapore import id be leaning towards the idea that someone has just chucked an extra 4 in the badge. AFAIK there is no such thing as as a 544i

If its a fully blown genuine schnitz it should have a plate in the engine bay or door sill with a schnitzer serial number. Its most likely just a body kit..... but if it has schnitzer anywhere in the engine bay (like a Schnitzer rocker cover) could mean its been tuned too. worth doing a vin decode on it if you have the vin.

Is that a photo of the actual car? Looks sick!

Do you know much about its history? If its a Jap or Singapore import id be leaning towards the idea that someone has just chucked an extra 4 in the badge. AFAIK there is no such thing as as a 544i

If its a fully blown genuine schnitz it should have a plate in the engine bay or door sill with a schnitzer serial number. Its most likely just a body kit..... but if it has schnitzer anywhere in the engine bay (like a Schnitzer rocker cover) could mean its been tuned too. worth doing a vin decode on it if you have the vin.

Is that a photo of the actual car? Looks sick!

No, it's just a pic I got off google.. Seems theres quite a few 540i's that people have re-badged as 544's.

I'll give the guy a call on Monday and see if he'll give me the vin and/or schnitzer serial number.

The cars an hours drive from me. I was driving home from a trip away and stopped at a shop for something to eat and that's when I spotted it.

He reckoned it cost him $125,000 new. Lived on a farm so didn't drive it much cause of the dirt roads then when he retired and moved into town it just got parked.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-240089175.htm

Is this the car?

Has been on Trademe for years now, last time I looked at the listing the seller was asking over $30,000.

Aside from the ACS bodykit and the muffler tip (might just be the tip, a quick look underneath will soon reveal if it's the real deal. ACS mufflers are just rebadged Remus - score!!) it's all bog standard 540i. The fact it has Racing Dynamics alloys definitely suggests the first owner ticked a couple of option boxes rather than buying a genuine AC.

http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/bmw-cars/products-models/5-series/e39-1996-2003/sedan/general-info/ should give you more info on the genuine article.

Given the odometer hasn't moved at all since I first spotted this I'd be hesitant in paying anything more than $7k. No motor likes sitting around being ignored, and given the elapsed time since it's been regularly driven I'd anticipate a lot of preventative maintenance $ being spent before it would be reliable. Fuel pumps, seals, engine seals, brake lines, suspension bushes, shocks etc etc. Not saying this will definitely happen but I'd personally be very nervous. Still, there are bragging rights to be had in owning an 18 year old car with little more than run-in mileage :)

This, to what I can see while browsing on my phone - is unfortunately not a genuine. If it was you'd know about it.

When a car is fully kitted by them, rear, side, front lower skirts are completed, spoiler, wing mirrors, and then also generally a large window decal can be present somewhere, and the good old decal stripes on the side are a dead give away to fully kitted ones.

Inside, there will be even more goodies, I believe Alu Trim with the ACS brand, 3x ACS pedals, and you will also have a window emblem on the rear triangular windows (name of item has lost me)

With E39s you also get a rear window wing.

And then, if you are super special, your engine, and suspension would of been done by them too. If tuned you will have a silver plate stamped in the engine bay on the metal of a strut (like your colour code sticker). If Suspension was done, unfortunately Pop your car on the hoist and look for gear, if kitted exterior you will not have a 540 (544) badge, in its place would be a genuine ACS badge, as well as one on the grill of the bonnet, and on every part placed on the car.. (Body kit, mirrors, spoilers, decals ect) and the generally a logo on the rear.

Interior kitted is a steering wheel, trim, handbrake, pedals.

At the end of the day, I contacted the people involved with doing my car to confirm it was a genuine as there was hardly nothing to read..

It's a stupid process for figuring if things are genuine as not always on a build sheet of done by a dealer...

Is this the car?

Has been on Trademe for years now, last time I looked at the listing the seller was asking over $30,000.

Aside from the ACS bodykit and the muffler tip (might just be the tip, a quick look underneath will soon reveal if it's the real deal. ACS mufflers are just rebadged Remus - score!!) it's all bog standard 540i. The fact it has Racing Dynamics alloys definitely suggests the first owner ticked a couple of option boxes rather than buying a genuine AC.

http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/bmw-cars/products-models/5-series/e39-1996-2003/sedan/general-info/ should give you more info on the genuine article.

Given the odometer hasn't moved at all since I first spotted this I'd be hesitant in paying anything more than $7k. No motor likes sitting around being ignored, and given the elapsed time since it's been regularly driven I'd anticipate a lot of preventative maintenance $ being spent before it would be reliable. Fuel pumps, seals, engine seals, brake lines, suspension bushes, shocks etc etc. Not saying this will definitely happen but I'd personally be very nervous. Still, there are bragging rights to be had in owning an 18 year old car with little more than run-in mileage :)

If it is indeed this one, its also a jap import and really no more special than the other early 540s on trademe. You can see in the first photo they wanted 35k for it, and that was years ago, hate to think of what damage has been done from sitting out in the sun on the yard for that long (although OP does mention peeling paint, so that'd be my guess).

Being an import it wouldn't surprise me if the odo was wound back before import.

I wouldn't fork out one third of what he's asking.

The only thing it has going for it is the novelty factor of very low kays and NZ new (?) one owner. Tacky body kit and wheels make it look like a south Auckland/Hutt Valley special.

For that price you'll be better off with a facelift 540i motorsport at around 120k.

If anything, that low a mileage on a near 20 year old car is more of a downfall than a positive. You'll most likely be looking at perished, brittle cooling and vacum hoses, brittle plastic cooling parts, buggered suspension and driveline bushes, hardened engine/g.box/diff/steering rack seals that will most likely start leaking after a good week of driving.

A last run E39 with around 120-150k on it and a record of R&M will be a much better option. Plus, I still maintain the facelift 530/540 Msport shape is one of the best looking sedans on the road 12 years on.

Edited by coop

Is this the car?

Bahahaha check out Michael Grant Motors (the seller) other listings!

This E39 has been listed since 2007!!! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-102709625.htm

Or check out this Subaru listed in January 2011, photos coming soon!!! http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/subaru/auction-348934539.htm

Looks like they are more interested in storing cars rather than selling them. Muppets!

• Like 2

Hahaha wow I have never seen such old listings. What a joke.

ha sh*t, didn't click it was these fools.

They also have that 330 coupe for $30k (A bargain, down from $66k! since 2007), and an old Iron Mask skyline since 2010 (which although it looks great in the pics apparently its a rough as guts POS).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-105483039.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/auction-287347105.htm

@zero check out the listing views? 34,000++ must all be from bimmersporters ?

Edited by 325_driver
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, wrightoff said:

in case anyone was watching.... this car is STILL for sale (Reg: CAR180)

They are good looking cars though - I am tempted!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/240089175?bof=es7hlLnF

Dont be. It has moss growing from the tires and onto the ground. All of the interior trim has fallen off and is sitting in a heap inside the car. You will find better examples (although higher km) at Pickapart.

I assumed he was being sarcastic

It's only value would be what people would pay for PFL E39 parts now I guess.  Which wouldn't be much.

The owner missed the E39 boom from 10 years back.

39 minutes ago, Mooffy_Photo said:

2022 still hasn't sold

Anyone want to come view the car 🤣

I feel like we need a Bimmersport in-person investigation... 

• Haha 1

I seems to recall a local member went and checked it out a couple of years ago and it was farked. I dont goto palmy often, but will pop in next time im that way.

• Like 1