Sign in to follow this  
KING_POM

e30 318i/2 m3 body conversion

Awesome work dude... I looked at doing the same thing to my e30 7-8 years a go but it was gonna be about 25k to just do the body work. I stopped at the engineering bits.

Yeh its a full evo 3 kit i just dont have the rear spoiler extension as i wanted to get a carbonfibre one to match the roof panel. 25k must have been for steel panels though right? And yeh black is played out as much as white but they just look so dam

I noticed you got evo3 front guards .... nice.

PS do a nice bright colour ... black is played out.

Awesome work dude... I looked at doing the same thing to my e30 7-8 years a go but it was gonna be about 25k to just do the body work. I stopped at the engineering bits.

I noticed you got evo3 front guards .... nice.

PS do a nice bright colour ... black is played out.

Its a full evo 3 kit im just missing the rear spoiler extension as will get a carbon fibre one to match the carbon roof.

black and white both played out yes but they just look so dam sexy black or white.

white car, black mags, carbon trimmings and a carbon roof, black mirrors and bonnet vents etc was my original plan but now looking for something a bit more unique so yes satin estoril blue may be the go...

Red (Hellrot) + V8... (red is always faster... :P )

• Like 1

So half the day done and ive fibreglassed on half of my roof panel and taped on the sideskirts to make mounting brackets for them as they dont quite line up with the factory holes etc and im not too keen to drill even more holes in the sills :S

also riveted the alloy bars to my lexan rear windows ready for install when the window surround is finished :)

post-16283-0-69750100-1420417094_thumb.j

post-16283-0-40891700-1420417106_thumb.j

post-16283-0-08323000-1420417125_thumb.j

Did the front bumper cover come like that or have you cut the centre section out? Looks a big hole in there. Has it got the mounting points underneath for the front splitter like on the original Evo III?

No i cut the front out as it was quite severely twisted from mikeshaw having a faulty mould and yes it has the screw holes in front bumper lip and rear spoiler :)

Here is the gap ads. It will catch an awful lot of gravel if you go down this track :P

post-16283-0-82460300-1420428450_thumb.j

Nice work man. I can appreciate the DIY work you're putting into this. Will be looking forward to the end result

Did the front bumper cover come like that or have you cut the centre section out? Looks a big hole in there. Has it got the mounting points underneath for the front splitter like on the original Evo III?

Here is the twist. Note the angle of the foglight hole and the contour next to the lip (the lip is straight/parallel with bumper bar).

I found a company in uk that makes evo3 front bumpers for £260 so will buy a replacement bumper from them at a later date :)

Nice work man. I can appreciate the DIY work you're putting into this. Will be looking forward to the end result

Thanks its been hard work getting the fg panels to fit properly but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel now so getting excited :P

It doesnt look like today has had much progress but i have aligned the boot to the rear window surround which is harder than it sounds when bonnet pins are involved. Fibreglassed, sanded, fibreglassed, sanded filled and sanded again the rear guard and made up some brackets and trimmed the side skirts to make them fit. Oh and sanded some more...

post-16283-0-10711600-1420442193_thumb.j

post-16283-0-89939100-1420442203_thumb.j

post-16283-0-44319500-1420442281_thumb.j

post-16283-0-23686300-1420442300_thumb.j

Front is evo 2 rep.

You can buy evo 3 carbon bits here in NZ from conrad.

http://www.m3motorsport.co.nz

As much as id love to buy a front bumper from him i dont have 2600 to throw at it. Although that carbon spoiler and front lip are tempting

How are you finding glassing over the metal pieces?

Not too bad, just very messy and time consuming.

I prepped everything as best i could before glassing to make it as easy as possible. The heat is the real killer though its making the resin set really quickly so having to do it in small batches to prevent wasting too much resin :P

Fair enough on the $$$ .... there is a bit of a difference between VAC road stuff and the DTM parts conrad has. Hence the price.

Yeh if money was not an issue for sure i would have run with conrads parts they look alot better and would last longer. but for entry level racing i cant just justify the expense :) ive already spent enough on bodywork lol

• Like 1

Only did a little today. Sanded and primered around the rear window and back half of guard.

post-16283-0-96238800-1420530174_thumb.j

post-16283-0-81347000-1420530186_thumb.j

• Like 1

Just wanting to find out.

Will you need to get compliance or certs for all this work being done or is it just for the track??

This car wont be allowed to drive on NZ roads ???

So today i took a day off and played around with some paint designs..

opinions on this design?

post-16283-0-39080300-1420603416_thumb.j

post-16283-0-19181200-1420603584_thumb.j

Edited by BADassE30

Why not do the roof in the same colour as well? Looks a bit odd imho. Another thought, probably a bit late in the piece, have you thought of converting to left hand drive? You are using it for racing, right?

Just wanting to find out.

Will you need to get compliance or certs for all this work being done or is it just for the track??

This car wont be allowed to drive on NZ roads ???

As i havnt made any structural changes to the car only the lexan rear window, fibrelass roof and fuel tank relocation will need certifying. Apart from that it will be fully road legal as all the other panels are direct bolt on and dont weaken the original structure.

rollcage has a log book but will need an authority card to be used on the road. No biggie at this point though.

So in short yes it will be legal for the road...

Why not do the roof in the same colour as well? Looks a bit odd imho. Another thought, probably a bit late in the piece, have you thought of converting to left hand drive? You are using it for racing, right?

I did play around with that but it looked too much like a magic eye puzzle.. and yes i thought about it but couldnt be bothered with the hassle of swapping everything over ie dash and wiring loom for guages.

post-16283-0-82980400-1420627358_thumb.j

post-16283-0-71180200-1420627371_thumb.j

• Like 3