Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Servotronic steering retrofit

I've been offered a servotronic hydro box and control module from a 1993 850i cheaply and thinking of retrofitting into my 91 850i. The servo steering in my E39 540i was a massive improvement over stock so I'm quite keen to give it a try. The internets suggest that the wiring harness for the control module will already exist located on the left hand side of the left hand foot well in the cabin and the hydro box should be a straight swap.

Anyone done this on an older car (E32, E34, E38, E39)? Any possible pitfalls (other than the possibility the wiring doesn't exist)?

post-16586-0-65610900-1421706834.png

• Like 1

If I had the faintest idea, I'd offer any advice I can.

Is this system likely to be retrofittable to older cars, albeit with some wiring and suchlike, or does it depend on some electrickery gubbins which is only present on newer models?

According to the internets all the wiring should be present and correct, just a case of fitting the servo box and plugging in the control unit.

Trouble is... I can't see the wiring (but that definitely doesn't mean it's not there) and wondered if anyone else has done it.