Sign in to follow this  
atlantiskiwi

ABS, ASC control module replacement? Straight forward? Cost? Experienc

Has anyone had their abs control module fail? Apparently its quite common?

My ASC and ABS lights are on and I seem to be getting intermittent connection with the control module which is why I am pretty sure its not speed sensors.

Has anyone replaced theirs whether it be DIY or through a shop? How much and whats involved?

Cheers,

Richard.

Very common to fail. Have a replacement.

• Like 1

I assume you mean in your E39 ?

I went thru the repair ( twice ) and secondhand unit, all failed again after 6 months - you might be lucky with s/h unit, but I ended up getting a brand new one from http://www.maf-shop.com/index.php/cat/c24_BMW-ABS-Control-Unit.html/XTCsid/23fdc5fde94cf302ea0005b3c05ee975

You will need to code it to the car or take it to somebody who can do it for you - might be easier in the long run to just go see Ray - I didn't have that option being 1000ks away !

Good luck.

• Like 1

We can repair the control unit for you. Ring me in the morning (09) 2722546

Has anyone had their abs control module fail? Apparently its quite common?

My ASC and ABS lights are on and I seem to be getting intermittent connection with the control module which is why I am pretty sure its not speed sensors.

Has anyone replaced theirs whether it be DIY or through a shop? How much and whats involved?

Cheers,

Richard.

It's very common really.

There are also a LOT of ABS module common faults out there, on all sorts of makes - you'd think they'd have this stuff sorted by now with all the technology around!

If you get a new unit, DIS will code it to the car, but you MUST have a proper cable, with actual voltage sensing that works.

I purchased mine direct from Germany too, but I was comfortable with doing the coding and replacement, and also the risk if anything went wrong - If you aren't into that, get something local for sure! Fitting takes about 10 minutes, but coding is the harder part. You've got some good options above, in Auckland.

I only found one place in NZ that did repairs (But I didn't look really hard!), and they quoted a price close enough to the new replacement for for me personally not to bother (about 3/4???).

I did destroy my old one afterwards, just to see the dumb design for myself :lol:

• Like 1

Had the wife e36 abs rebuilt and rewired. Quite a bit less than BMW nz retail price. Replacement has worked out well.

Hi Ray, thank you. I was going to book it in with you, however i ran out of time to pick up M3 and so had to get it fixed today so that I could take car with me tomorrow.... Ended up paying top dollar at BM Workshop, however it was better than going to BMW. I still want to get you to sort hesitation, I'll touch base soon.

Very common to fail. Have a replacement.

My father and I rewired the ABS control module ourselves when we got the ABS light on the dash in our old E36. Found the wiring diagram online, ripped the old crusty and broken cellophane wiring out and rewired it. Cost us a tiny bit of solder, some wire and time to remove, refit and bleed brakes.

Edited by tintop

Good work! I may try that on my e36, but not on the e39, its a whole diff gig.

My father and I rewired the ABS control module ourselves when we got the ABS light on the dash in our old E36. Found the wiring diagram online, ripped the old crusty and broken cellophane wiring out and rewired it. Cost us a tiny bit of solder, some wire and time to remove, refit and bleed brakes.

On 2/4/2015 at 3:55 PM, B.M.W Ltd said:

We can repair the control unit for you. Ring me in the morning (09) 2722546

Hey mate, you still do repairs on ABS ASC control units?

Glenn has now retired, so might be worth contacting HellBM instead?