Sign in to follow this  
Tania

Japanese Nav and radio conversion -Sydney

We have just imported our X5 (2012 blue performance model) to Sydney and are having problems with trying to change the GPS (a 2011 Japan map system) to Australian maps and also the radio. BMW said they will need to change the hardware - a component or more components and will be very expensive and with no guarantee it will work. The information they gave me was they will need a CIC part number 6G129220074 for $2,079 (part only). Anyway - I am wondering if any of this makes sense to you and/or you have more information. Anything will be appreciated.

We have just imported our X5 (2012 blue performance model) to Sydney and are having problems with trying to change the GPS (a 2011 Japan map system) to Australian maps and also the radio. BMW said they will need to change the hardware - a component or more components and will be very expensive and with no guarantee it will work. The information they gave me was they will need a CIC part number 6G129220074 for $2,079 (part only). Anyway - I am wondering if any of this makes sense to you and/or you have more information. Anything will be appreciated.

We can help you convert it no problem

• Like 1

What sort of pricing are we talking for Full conversion? My E60 is running Jap setup and wanting the NAV and Radio changed to NZ. Its CCC

^ Stupidly expensive.

Yea, I have received a few quotes and agreed. I figured out how to do it, just waiting on my SSS/progman to be sent to me. Then will have a crack at it

I love how they charge $399 for just the radio fix. I bet it take 2 minutes.

• Like 1

About $750 if I recall, think it needed a module change for jap ones, UK ones are reprogram only if I recall correctly

• Like 1

Good day. I just imported a 2009 BMW 320i from Japan. It comes with (what I think is an older version of) iDrive. The FM frequencies run from 76-90Mhz only, since that is what Japan allows. I've searched for advice on how to convert the Radio's Service details to other regions but all the blogs and forums I have found so far relate to vehicles without iDrive (turn on/off radio, press M or SEL or INFO button etc, none of which are applicable or possible with iDrive. Has anyone found a way to to the conversion without needing to buy new accessories, software, equipment etc? Thanks in advance.... H.L.

P.S. Further research tells me that the iDrive model is the iDrive Professional Navigation (CIC)

Edited by Haleue
  • Like 1

This needs the conversion done to it, prices range from $250 to $500 for it at various places. It's not band expansion, it's actual adjustment of the software.

You should be able to flash the CIC. We've just done the Jap to Occianic conversion on my mates 2013 335i.

If you go to www.bmw.com/update then just under the main image that appears, is a box to enter your VIN number (the last 7 digits) once you select that, it will show you the updates available for your car, select the Occianic update and download this to a flash USB drive. (Make sure it's formatted as FAT32) Now I'm not 100% sure where your maintenance USB port is, the 335i was in the centre console under the arm rest.

Once you plug the USB, go to your Idrive menu and under settings, select the update option and that should update the idrive radio to allow you to select from NZ radio frequencies.

I haven't managed to figure out the GPS and maps yet in CIC, but il currently doing the conversion on my CCC through the OBD port and special software.

The above was for the F30, so not sure if it will actually work on your E9x

You should be able to flash the CIC. We've just done the Jap to Occianic conversion on my mates 2013 335i.

If you go to www.bmw.com/update then just under the main image that appears, is a box to enter your VIN number (the last 7 digits) once you select that, it will show you the updates available for your car, select the Occianic update and download this to a flash USB drive. (Make sure it's formatted as FAT32) Now I'm not 100% sure where your maintenance USB port is, the 335i was in the centre console under the arm rest.

Once you plug the USB, go to your Idrive menu and under settings, select the update option and that should update the idrive radio to allow you to select from NZ radio frequencies.

I haven't managed to figure out the GPS and maps yet in CIC, but il currently doing the conversion on my CCC through the OBD port and special software.

The above was for the F30, so not sure if it will actually work on your E9x

Hi FrancoisPV

When I enter the VIN no. (I have a Jap import 2013 F30 320d) there is only one software update listed. Any ideas?

Thanks

On 5/29/2015 at 10:01 PM, Truc said:

Hi FrancoisPV

When I enter the VIN no. (I have a Jap import 2013 F30 320d) there is only one software update listed. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Truc.

did you get the files all those yrs ago.

Have just brought the same 2013 320d and wanting to update