Apex

Quick rant thread.

1 hour ago, lord_jagganath said:

was under the impression you need to prove that you would lose more than 30% of your turnover to qualify for that? 

https://www.business.govt.nz/news/coronavirus-information-for-businesses/#e-20169

and then laying off staff would be bad juju imo. the employment office would probably come down hard on them. 

Dont need to prove it, just a declaration, my work load plummeted so I applied (havent been paid yet) before I had a single account to show I had next to no income. I know of others in my same circumstance that applied that day the fund was announced and got paid 3 days later.

I suspect there are a few that will just take it as free money, but the IRD will get them in the end, at the moment the focus seems to be on keeping the majority afloat rather than an audit of everyones records. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qube said:

Wouldnt most businesses that are closing down for a month have $0 turnover during this time whilst having certain fixed expenses still outgoing?

Unless your business was not affected somehow by the situation, I would imagine a majority of businesses will automatically fall under this 30% reduction in turnover for that month at the very least. For example our cafe will have 100% loss in turnover, and even a big loss if we have to continue paying the lease.

I am hearing that from a legal standpoint, employers can force(?) employees to use up their annual leave if they want to be paid during this 4 week period if they cannot work from home. 

Isnt it better for the individual to take a 20% cut and get 80% pay over the 4 weeks (and potentially longer) with the help of the govt subsidy of $585 per person? e.g. if I was earning $1000 a week normally, the govt will pay $585, employer pays $215 so I get $800 per week pay. 

The wage subsidy is to encourage employers to keep people employed but it wont save everyones job. Some businesses maybe not be able to pay 80% of their employees wages for this extended period (no income, cash on hand etc) so they may not apply for the wage subsidy. In that case it's a matter of discussing what measures (if any) can be done to keep your employment eg voluntary annual leave or unpaid leave etc. I think there will be additional assistance packages once the lock down period has subsided. 

You can't force anyone to take annual leave without 14 days notice unless its agreed upon with your employer. It's always been like that but some employers are ignorant, or try and sometimes succeed to preying upon employees who don't know their rights.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, polley said:

Consider yourself lucky you can work from home. A lot of unfortunate people have no work at all, im sure there will be a fair share of people that have no job to return to once this is over as well.

i know i am lucky.I am certain we are in for a massive recession and i am in the industry(building) that is hit first.I wont be surprised if one of us is made redundant as soon as we get back

19 hours ago, Jacko said:

I suspect there are a few that will just take it as free money, but the IRD will get them in the end, at the moment the focus seems to be on keeping the majority afloat rather than an audit of everyones records. 

Yes, the risk is far too high, unless there are the types that would throw caution to the wind. Dormant companies may take advantage of this. 

Additional to that, Murphy's Law strikes! The Drivers window on my borrowed Airtrek decided to fail while fully withdrawn down. on Day one of the Lockdown. LOL

Edited by lord_jagganath

On 3/25/2020 at 1:44 PM, Jacko said:

Dont need to prove it, just a declaration, my work load plummeted so I applied (havent been paid yet) before I had a single account to show I had next to no income. I know of others in my same circumstance that applied that day the fund was announced and got paid 3 days later.

My wife is self employed, a freelancer in media who just had a gig in April cancelled - she applied yesterday morning and had $7k in the account after lunch. 

Not complaining but seemed a bit too easy... 

8 minutes ago, Sammo said:

is her income greater than 0 for most of the year and she pays tax usually? that could have been taken into consideration. 

29 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

is her income greater than 0 for most of the year and she pays tax usually? that could have been taken into consideration. 

Yeah, just seemed so quick though. 

High trust model at work. Im sure some people require it asap for upcoming rent, food etc so it has to fast for that and given the volume of people applying that can't not be.

• Like 3

Will be lots of investigations later on I would say. I'm a contractor. I'm finding all the senior staff have nothing to do so are doing my work. I'm going to run out of work. 

2 hours ago, Sammo said:

My wife is self employed, a freelancer in media who just had a gig in April cancelled - she applied yesterday morning and had $7k in the account after lunch. 

I am happier that this is paid out than a lot of other things the govt spends it on. We need to keep people going so that when this is all over we have at least made some effort to contain the economic damage. 

It makes me a bit sad to hear some businesses are just throwing their people away. For what it’s worth, I’m a senior exec at a medium-sized business by NZ standards (150 odd) and we have committed to our people that everyone is paid until end of April, even those who can’t work from home. The cash burn is incredible but we’re trying to make it work. 

• Like 4

The prick who broke into my house on Wednesday night... I dont really care about the laptop or the tablet you pinched, insurance will cover the 3k they cost.

What is really concerning is that the sickf**k was obviously watching my wife use them in the lounge from the road, and then when she went to bed and turned the light of he jumped the fence and ran around the back of the house.He then went in through the back door of the house, past the sleeping 45kg dog, in through the house and into the lounge and grabbed laptop and tablet. My 4 year old is in the bedroom next door. I was awake and working in the shed during the whole time this happened, going in and out of the house. He must have been watching me in the shed as well as picked the right time to gap it past the garage door.

Now have a child who is worried about people stealing his things in the night, and me and the wife are locking the house when we are home (also just dumped 2k on 4 camera home CCTV system)

This guy had some big balls, or was massively desperate. Strange days, I suspect this sort of sh*t is going to get worse before it gets better.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

21 minutes ago, Jacko said:

This guy had some big balls, or was massively desperate. Strange days, I suspect this sort of sh*t is going to get worse before it gets better.

So sorry to hear this happen mate. it is a terrible thing to happen, where you lose your peace of mind. I know I will be locking my cars up going forward, where before this I didn't bother. 

Not nice to have that happen Chris. It wasn't good before all this that is happening and it will get a lot worse as I've said before. What's up with the pooch ? Too old ? I always had dobermans when I lived in the suburbs. Great family dogs when well looked after and trained by there owners... I bred them. Pity they stopped docking them.

• Like 1

f**k that's rough! Sorry to hear that mate!

Years ago had someone break in while we were upstairs all asleep. Nicked my brand new shirt I left in the bag downstairs. Scary thing was, Had a mate stay over a week earlier and she swears she saw someone in the garden when she got up for a drink. She could have easy walked in on them

No idea about the dog, in the past he has been an awesome gaurd dog... he looks the part but is really a big baby. I suspect he was just totally asleep. 

I initially thought the wife must have forgotten where she put them, as couldnt believe anyone would have the balls to try it! She went to bed at 10.30, and her tablet was signed out of her google account at 11.17pm.... 

Found the point on the fence where he jumped over, so police have some nice palm prints... if they catch him or not is another story! 

Can vouch for the fact your dog looks the part! As you say very brave or desperate person to do that.

Totally sucks to have your privacy invaded like that and your peace of mind destroyed, that can’t be replaced by insurance company.

Good news today, prints I found on the fence got a match to a known gangsta rapper looking prick ;)

• Like 4

Gonna round up a Bimmersport Lynch mob and go get ‘I’m..?

Good news though, and hopefully the police will carry through properly and the prick gets a proper sentence, no wet bus ticket.

IRD sent me a big bill, all because they cocked up a digit... this is after my parents' super had been delayed (by  two months) for no reason. but you know how that story goes. 

On 6/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, lord_jagganath said:

IRD sent me a big bill, all because they cocked up a digit... this is after my parents' super had been delayed (by  two months) for no reason. but you know how that story goes. 

Welcome to the club, 12k for me

More e30 tax.

A M20 '885' cylinder head - incomplete - $700?

Seems like 5 minutes ago you'd pay that for an entire, running, car!

(Note for readers - I'm not after one. )

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

You could try marketing E34 window switches for $2500 each, just add a note "to suit McLaren F1"

I can go 'coil plugs - suit Pagani V12' ? 

It seems the gullibility of buyers cannot be overestimated. :(

• Haha 1