Apex

Quick rant thread.

Power outages in Auckland.

Every. Single. Time. It. Rains.

My neighbourhood even has underground services, but sadly fed by overhead from the surrounding areas.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:03 PM, Gaz said:

On my first trip to Europe I spent a lot of time in major cities and started to miss the colour green, weird I know but it's something you take for granted. 

I found on my first stint, I missed wild unkept green.  Mexico City had parks, mostly.   I was stirred, after three years, flying over the waitemata into Auckland, with the olive, mustard, drabs and greys of the clay, and the greens.  

Later I found Europe a tonic... although I'd foregone our verdant green wild landscapes and earthstorms, in their place were four distinct seasons, soft greys in the landscapes, and a certain tranquility not present in Niu Zild.  A great contrast.  Returning to NZ three years later, again I was pleased to be home, though the culture shock took a good couple of years to recover from.

• Like 2

Dropped my car off to my local BMW dealer for a recall and also to fix an issue with my car connecting to the net... Spent 1.5 days without the car then got a message that it was ready. before I went down today I actually asked them if everything was working as it should and was told everything was 'perfect'. Picked it up this afternoon and of course it's still not working. Paid full bloody price for the car too lol... just shocking service.

New cars eh...

controversial opinion

They are only really aimed at the people that can afford new these days, and who will sell it in 3 to 5 years, thus that’s as long as they need to last. Mercedes also is guilty, just look into the biodegradable wiring loom.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LemonHunter said:

controversial opinion

They are only really aimed at the people that can afford new these days, and who will sell it in 3 to 5 years, thus that’s as long as they need to last. Mercedes also is guilty, just look into the biodegradable wiring loom.

Oh if I'd bought it brand spanking new I'd be much more annoyed... It's a year old but its more the service I received than anything than annoys me. I specifically asked the dude if the particular issue was sorted, obviously didn't test it. 

2 hours ago, LemonHunter said:

Mercedes also is guilty, just look into the biodegradable wiring loom.

I think that was a short-lived issue, applying to mid 90s vehicles. 

Of course, they'd also started using less paint of a poorer quality, and suspect steel for some suspension components. 

Manufacturing by over-zealous accountants. 

2 hours ago, gjm said:

The twin cam M104.94x/99x in 3.0 and 3.2 guise after the initial M104.98x engines (300e-24 etc) were the start of the chocolate loom. The -24 .98x engine have a different problem in that the bosch controller for the coils is $6K from Mercedes and after market is non existent.

The stroked 3.4 AMG engine was based on the .98x engine and the 3.6 used an om606 diesel crank in the M104.941/992 kinda like alpina used the forged M21 diesel crank in their 2.7 M20's.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

The twin cam M104.94x/99x in 3.0 and 3.2 guise after the initial M104.98x engines (300e-24 etc) were the start of the chocolate loom. The -24 .98x engine have a different problem in that the bosch controller for the coils is $6K from Mercedes and after market is non existent.

The stroked 3.4 AMG engine was based on the .98x engine and the 3.6 used an om606 diesel crank in the M104.941/992 kinda like alpina used the forged M21 diesel crank in their 2.7 M20's.

I know a bit about the M103/4, from MB, AMG and Brabus. :)  When that controller gives up, throw it all away and go MegaSquirt, Link or Haltech. It's cheaper.
This was mine. And yes - two of the coil packs did give up...

DSCF0023.jpg.ac5a479bba8401f695029f81cef42c3b.jpg

• Like 5

Now that is a car! Were those front arches spaced like the E500? Apologies for preaching to the choir. My W124 300e-24 Sportline (on OZ split rims of course) had a service folder 3" thick across three continents and 180K miles and the controller killed it sadly.

Edited by leichtbau

3 hours ago, gjm said:

Of course, they'd also started using less paint of a poorer quality, and suspect steel for some suspension components. 

Manufacturing by over-zealous accountants. 

Mid 90's ie 95\96 depending on the exact model was when it was coming to a close. I know they still used in some other areas like ETA's and mirrors on W140's even though the main loom was fixed.

10 hours ago, Eagle said:

Mid 90's ie 95\96 depending on the exact model was when it was coming to a close. I know they still used in some other areas like ETA's and mirrors on W140's even though the main loom was fixed.

I'm trying to sort that very issue on my parents C36 at the moment. The engine wiring loom was replaced recently, now we're onto the headlight loom ?

11 hours ago, leichtbau said:

Now that is a car! Were those front arches spaced like the E500? Apologies for preaching to the choir. My W124 300e-24 Sportline (on OZ split rims of course) had a service folder 3" thick across three continents and 180K miles and the controller killed it sadly.

Original rims were AMG 17x7.5 (et41, I think). I fitted a set of 'front' rims from the W210 E55 - 18x8 et31, and they rubbed on the front. I had a couple of mm machined off the inside hub face of the rim, and spaced the wheel arch to stop that.

There were 7-10 RHD W124 E36s made in the T-model (wagon); mine was (as far as I know) the only one in Malachite green. It required the purchase of a W124 E320 estate which was then sent to AMG for the conversion work. This led to some interesting times at main dealers when trying to order parts because the car would still be listed as an E320, and led to them fitting the wrong exhaust centre section, bodging the AMG exhaust which was fitted in order to make it work. I had no idea - a subsequent owner of the car accused me of cutting corners. ?

DSCF0030.thumb.jpg.bd7906a746ad4feaa5acb862a718a3b2.jpg

After experiencing a Covid related 3 month delay on receiving Suspension from the UK earlier this year I ordered some ST-XA Coilovers from Demontweeks, being under the impression they had an order on its way within two weeks.

Just got the email notification - stock isn't expected to arrive in the UK until 25th of October ?

Better be worth the bloody wait!

• Sad 1

just takes one a**hole to confirm the stereotype. Parked across my drive this morning. 

bmw_wanker.JPG

1 hour ago, richard said:

just takes one a**hole to confirm the stereotype. Parked across my drive this morning. 

I feel for you seeing this, the person will almost certainly say 'but you can still get out' and if you cant get a parking warden theres bugger all you can do.

Our solution below.

I remember our student flat in wellington used to have this issue at both sides of the driveway. Rather than causing any damage to the cars we got two guys on each arch and just dragged the offending end out into the middle of the road. Only had to do it a few times at the start of each year.

No idea what happened to the cars but they were never there when we got back from uni or ever again.

Edited by andrewm
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

tfw the car you just bought from another dude on tradme has mud and snow tyres on. do they even pass the wof????

If they have more than 4mm of tread, they'll pass a WoF.

Probably want to change them regardless. :)

Managed to leave my drivers window down in the E87 all night in an uncovered and unsecure CBD parking space in Wellington last night during the Weather "Bomb"

But as the media blew this "Bomb" out of proportion and it was a beautiful crystal clear night and still is a beautiful day so far, I had no issues.

Also flew into Wellington yesterday with constant scare mongering telling us we probably can't land and will be turned back.  Landed first shot.  No bumpier than normal.

So this is not a rant about leaving my window down.  But one about the media once again gagging for a story and scare mongering.

Flew Akl-Palmy return yesterday, on the way back the pilot skipped the "there may be some turbulence on the climb, but we expect the cruise to be smooth" and just went straight to "there are sick bags in the back of the seat in front of you"

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Flew Akl-Palmy return yesterday, on the way back the pilot skipped the "there may be some turbulence on the climb, but we expect the cruise to be smooth" and just went straight to "there are sick bags in the back of the seat in front of you"

Just throw ya arms in the air and treat it like a rollercoaster ride.

Just gave up a sale of the Pulsar, because the guy who came with the buyer to check the car out, got a little too snake oily on me, and tried to talk me down on our initial agreed price. I don't mind if you bargain to start with, but not after we agree on a price.  

• Like 1

I'd do exactly that, and have done so in the past when selling a car. Nothing more annoying especially when they come over and comment "looks even better in person", then proceed to try haggle on the agreed price. 

• Like 1

NZ seems to be falling well behind in the banking game.  Hardly any banks support Apple/Google/Samsung Pay.  Very few stores support it.  And the fees are obviously too high for contactless systems (even though they require far less maintenance).
The uptake for contactless payment systems over lockdown was great.  But now everyone is switching it off and reverting back to a system that hasn't changed in over 15 years.

I miss Google Pay.  Especially for online payments.  With it's random temporary CC numbers.