Apex

Quick rant thread.

Really? I've had the opposite experience. I use Google pay almost everywhere now, and I'm with 3 different banks who all offer it. 

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

NZ seems to be falling well behind in the banking game.  Hardly any banks support Apple/Google/Samsung Pay.  Very few stores support it.  And the fees are obviously too high for contactless systems (even though they require far less maintenance).
The uptake for contactless payment systems over lockdown was great.  But now everyone is switching it off and reverting back to a system that hasn't changed in over 15 years.

I miss Google Pay.  Especially for online payments.  With it's random temporary CC numbers.

The 4 biggest banks in NZ aren't NZ banks; that makes much of this an Australian problem. (We'll leave aside the $0000 per hour those banks take out of NZ... ?)

Approaching the actual Kiwi banks - Kiwibank, TSB, Co-op etc - does sometimes work. When I've done this, professionally and privately, they seem more flexible and open to suggestions.

hate when a co worker is only at work to pay off his mortgage. I mean I don't blame him, but I end up doing his work too... :( 

2 hours ago, Navin said:

Really? I've had the opposite experience. I use Google pay almost everywhere now, and I'm with 3 different banks who all offer it. 

I haven't used it since I got back to NZ.  I haven't actually had a chance.  Kiwi bank doesn't support it.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

The 4 biggest banks in NZ aren't NZ banks; that makes much of this an Australian problem. (We'll leave aside the $0000 per hour those banks take out of NZ... ?)

Approaching the actual Kiwi banks - Kiwibank, TSB, Co-op etc - does sometimes work. When I've done this, professionally and privately, they seem more flexible and open to suggestions.

You're right.  The only 3 that support it are ANZ, ASB and BNZ.  I use Transferwise quite a bit but they are not a traditional bank.
I spoke to Kiwibank a while back and they mentioned they were looking at their own service and it would be out soon.  That was a year back.  And Own service is of no use without stores supporting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lord_jagganath said:

hate when a co worker is only at work to pay off his mortgage. I mean I don't blame him, but I end up doing his work too... :( 

Woh sh*t do you work for Insert Government Agency here too?

• Haha 4

I’ve noted ASB have removed all but two ATMs in central Wellington.  Bastards!

• Confused 2

On 10/7/2020 at 11:40 AM, Driftit said:

Woh sh*t do you work for Insert Government Agency here too?

That's SO accurate!

23 hours ago, Olaf said:

I’ve noted ASB have removed all but two ATMs in central Wellington.  Bastards!

What even is an atm? Something from the dark ages?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You guys can take the piss all you like.  The banks have been trying to gain control of the money supply for 30 years.  You should be very afraid. Keep cash rolling.

PS -  look up Mondex.

9 hours ago, KwS said:

What even is an atm? Something from the dark ages?

it's the reason you're selling your Mini. 

59 minutes ago, Olaf said:

it's the reason you're selling your Mini. 

Huh?

I deleted my FB account in ~2009 and have no regrets, only moments of self indulgent pride when I read comments like @lord_jagganathmakes above.

Watch this and you'll all cancel your FB accounts (or relinquish the right to complain): The Social Dilemma 

Why would any person of sound mind (and soul) play their game?

Edited by M3AN

Anyone with half a brain should already know what social media is doing in the background, nothing in The Social Dilemma should be a surprise these days. I didnt find it that scary, nor did it make me want to delete all my accounts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KwS said:

Anyone with half a brain should already know what social media is doing in the background, nothing in The Social Dilemma should be a surprise these days. I didnt find it that scary, nor did it make me want to delete all my accounts.

yes nothing new any adult with half a brain didn't already know but I do feel concerned for the young ones that don't know a life before S media, its the drug like habit control over your life that they will not have the experience to combat. AI is only going to get better at catching you

The whole point is a generation is being raised that aren't yet adults. They're the ones being f'ed over, they need us to recognise the insidious nature of the social media beast and do something about it.

Presuming that large amounts of populations already know what's going on in the background is a little bit naïve. Vast swaths of modern, digital populations have absolutely no idea. Sad but true.

I genuinely worry for the younger generation, basically the teenagers of now, with things like tiktok and instagram giving them a false representation of reality and standards.

rubbish article but 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/melbourne-mums-heartbreak-at-10-year-olds-reaction-to-using-tiktok-for-a-week/HEOKDFDHVJBDR73AJUHXUWRNBQ/

Idiots will idiot. Natural selection will select. Sheep will sheep. AI will dominate all.

The problem is that we know environmental influence is huge to a child's upbringing (even young adults and adults too). 

These social media platforms are literally taking advantage of human nature and the natural tendencies that people have to seek out approval and likes. Comparing themselves to the unreal and fake-ness that is prevalent in these social media accounts. It is just not real. 

Instagram -> I.G. -> Instant Gratification. 

The dopamine you get from these sources is massive and just like a drug addict you will get withdrawal symptoms if you try to quit it after experiencing it, and you cannot not experience it because it is literally everywhere and justified as a necessity by so many businesses and peers as a means to communicate etc.

Sheep will sheep, yes, but it is literally turning potential non-sheep into sheep and not giving them a fighting chance to un-sheep. (lol hope this makes sense)

One thing I will agree with is that these platforms need to be more regulated and the providers held accountable for what their algorithm is doing. 

Probably won't happen though as these make money, and cash is king. 

45 minutes ago, KwS said:

One thing I will agree with is that these platforms need to be more regulated and the providers held accountable for what their algorithm is doing. 

yea this aint happening lol

46 minutes ago, KwS said:

I think the whole current trump twitter facebook thing, they will lose their "were not producers argument" and then will be held to the same legalities as print and tv, ie sue able

they are so obviously producers, so not before time

the only thing I learnt/considered from that doco  was that it wasn't so much a conspiracy but more the intentions were good but they opened pandoras box and the AI just overtook them, They never expected a like button to be so powerful at the time. they are constantly scrambling now trying to appease people to keep their business model going