Apex

Quick rant thread.

14 hours ago, gjm said:

Facebook...

image.png.f2dfb2a6db0d93b74cf84da77b9d4b30.png 

I don't want to.

Oh well. Good excuse to not use it.

But how can they monetise your data if you refuse to click "accept all" on their spurious data protection security measures? You'll become a social nobody! Oh noes! 

Edited by Young Thrash Driver
  • Haha 2

Ordered a set of VANOS seals and rattle rings from Beisan Systems yesterday, 2 x $60 + $39 shipping.

Screenshot_20220726-070229_Brave.thumb.jpg.e77f66e526819250222570b904830dd5.jpg

Wake up to this.

Screenshot_20220726-070146_Gmail.thumb.jpg.2cbcd1f0edb8eb2d32364cded59f5ecc.jpg

f**king seriously? 

• Sad 1

I wouldn't. See too many people getting scammed through family and friends. I trust beisan and have used them before but that just seem ridiculous 

Hit them up about it.

Screenshot_20220726-092110_Gmail.thumb.jpg.dc2269a169e280e5cdd779a27530518d.jpg

Could have maybe started with that and offered it as an alternative option instead painting it as if it's that or nothing? Not impressed. 

They both suck tbh and are overpriced in my experience. Just get the x8r vanos kit. I try to support original creator but it's not worth it in this case.

• Like 1

The guy that runs Beisan is a dick. Last I checked he hadn't updated the S50B30 instructions despite them being wrong and he got shitty when I contacted him about it. 

No surprise he is trying to do shifty freight. Probably would've chucked it on the slowest USPS anyway, even if you paid extra. 

Yeah will be giving X8R a go if I ever need to do it again in the future. Seems significantly cheaper as well.

I actually ordered a set of seals (as well as a rebuilt DISA) from this fella called Bruce Perkinson up north. Not sure what supplier he uses. Unfortunately he didn't have any rattle rings, hence me going with Beisan. Figured I'd get an extra set of seals as well whilst I'm at it and maybe do the ones on the daily as well.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:09 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I’ve just paid the subscription for the heated seats in my E30 ‘vert so I could drive it more this winter. They don’t seem to make much difference tbh.

Talk to Litchfield Motors. Have a read of Wired... ;)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Rip-off pricing in NZ.

Looking for a new chainsaw. (I know what we need.) New price in NZ - $1375.

I can buy exactly the same saw at full retail price from a shop in the US, have it packed and shipped to NZ, and it'll cost half of that.

Interestingly, the NZ Customs website says "Since the total value of the goods is less than or equal to $1000, the duty is waived." And there was me thinking everything privately shipped in to NZ is now liable for duties.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

And there was me thinking everything privately shipped in to NZ is now liable for duties.

Still liable for GST tho...

@Vass For the E46 I went with X8R in the UK due to Besian's crazy shipping.

Also - are S50 seals the same for M54?

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Rip-off pricing in NZ.

I can buy exactly the same saw at full retail price from a shop in the US, have it packed and shipped to NZ, and it'll cost half of that.

Interestingly, the NZ Customs website says "Since the total value of the goods is less than or equal to $1000, the duty is waived." And there was me thinking everything privately shipped in to NZ is now liable for duties.

Oh yeah people are taking the piss here at the moment.  So much so I don't even bother looking.
Unless you are getting mates rates or some sort of deal don't bother.

33 minutes ago, jon dee said:

Still liable for GST tho...

Not sure they're charging even that. Certainly not what the Customs website suggests: 

image.png.cedf74d98c929c1edc7a1148e74ec963.png

20 minutes ago, Sammo said:

@Vass For the E46 I went with X8R in the UK due to Besian's crazy shipping.

Also - are S50 seals the same for M54?

Yeah will know better for if there's ever a next time. The Beisan stuff did already arrive yesterday so at least the turnaround was quick.

Wouldn't think S50 ones are the same, I took the screenshot of the shipping details at the bottom of the page and those just crept into the picture.

Also received the stuff from Bruce Perkinson today. Much more complete kit for a fraction of the cost, minus the rattle rings. Not sure of the quality but seems legit, he claims to have tested quite a few different suppliers and settled on these. Would recommend. The DISA unit with the aluminium flap looks mighty fine too.

925025796_2022-08-0211_59_43.thumb.jpg.e321911a27f2ffc7bfc2e4a6b2a1acda.jpg

556986419_2022-08-0212_00_49.thumb.jpg.98a7065ff07b49708683073b01d3bb8c.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Rip-off pricing in NZ.

If the business doesn't want to collect it then no one can practically do much. The big multinational entities seem to be the only ones collecting under 1k. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gjm said:

Not sure they're charging even that. Certainly not what the Customs website suggests: 

Yeah... just had a look and you are dead right :) Seems that somewhere along the line they did away with the "GST is payable if the GST payable on the CIF is greater than $50" rule, and I hadn't picked that up. I know that Aliexpress, Amazon etc add GST to everything regardless of value. And NZ Post will add GST to anything they bring in from overseas. But waiving GST on shipments under $1000 will save a heap of paperwork for Customs.

Just need to check if the $1000 limit is inclusive of freight and GST, or before GST. The worked calculation above does not make that clear. I don't like surprises !!!

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
keyboard can't spell :(

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

Oh yeah people are taking the piss here at the moment.  So much so I don't even bother looking.
Unless you are getting mates rates or some sort of deal don't bother.

Same, $82 delivered vs $209 plus courier local.

Less of a rant, more of an 'annoyed with myself for missing it and losing the details.'

A 1950 Ford Popular, looking more-or-less original except for slightly chunkier rims and tyres, fitted with a BMW M47 diesel engine and 5 speed manual gearbox. (And uprated suspension, brakes, etc.)

What a great daily that'd make!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, gjm said:

Less of a rant, more of an 'annoyed with myself for missing it and losing the details.'

A 1950 Ford Popular, looking more-or-less original except for slightly chunkier rims and tyres, fitted with a BMW M47 diesel engine and 5 speed manual gearbox. (And uprated suspension, brakes, etc.)

What a great daily that'd make!

WHOA! Where was this and i wonder if this can be done to a 1953 Morrie

f**kwits who drive in the fog with NO lights on, not a single one!

• Like 5

Just now, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Thought the same thing this morning.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Probably the same a55hats who drive around on clear nights with their rear fog lights on!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

Probably the same a55hats who drive around on clear nights with their rear fog lights on!

Having made a lifelong study of this particular phenomenon, I have determined that it is primarily high end cars with older drivers. The likely cause is that the dashboard presents so many options (buttons, knobs, switches etc.) that they have no idea what most of them do, and are completely unaware that the rear fog lights are ON. Not restricted to nighttime driving either !! 

Cheers...

• Like 1

If cops just sat in each town on a foggy morning and revoked the licenses of every pleb driving around without lights on we could probably meet emissions targets. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

WHOA! Where was this and i wonder if this can be done to a 1953 Morrie

I think it was Bay of Plenty - somewhere between Tauranga and Opotiki.

Moggies should have Lancia, Alfa or Fiat twin-cam engines. I used to know a guy who did these conversions on vans and Travellers.

• Like 1