Apex

Quick rant thread.

OMG, I filled out a 105 Police report form. I don't know what I was expecting as a confirmation of submission email but this is just fantastic :

*** This is an automatically generated email, please do not reply. ***

This message is to acknowledge receipt of your 'Report a Bad Driver - Community Roadwatch Report'.

Your report will be assessed and actioned by the New Zealand Police Community Roadwatch Team. Presuming an offence and vehicle can be identified from your report, a letter will be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle to advise of the allegation made and remind the owner of required standards of driving behaviour.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to safety on our roads.

*** This is an automatically generated email, please do not reply. ***

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Twistee said:

I filled out a 105 Police report form.

I've done the same and its turned out to be a waste of time. We have a handful of habitual excessive speeders that go past our place, I have a couple of security cameras and have worked out average speeds over a 30m stretch ... highest I've seen was 109kph (its a 50 zone, residential street). Tried to get a hold of our community constable and the person I ended up speaking to recommended that I go to a station and file a formal report, which they then have to follow up on and actually go and see the driver etc, providing you have registration of course (which I do).

I thought the main offender was going to take a holiday to the big house recently as I saw police at his place with their guns out aiming over his fence etc 😲 Alas I have seen him since.

This is apparently a thing now. Thought it had stopped in the early 2000s. 

This was in Paris, France. Happened twice to this guy apparently. 6 month wait for parts. 

wq44yzpxcjq81.jpg

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Cement said:

I've done the same and its turned out to be a waste of time. We have a handful of habitual excessive speeders that go past our place, I have a couple of security cameras and have worked out average speeds over a 30m stretch ... highest I've seen was 109kph (its a 50 zone, residential street). Tried to get a hold of our community constable and the person I ended up speaking to recommended that I go to a station and file a formal report, which they then have to follow up on and actually go and see the driver etc, providing you have registration of course (which I do).

I thought the main offender was going to take a holiday to the big house recently as I saw police at his place with their guns out aiming over his fence etc 😲 Alas I have seen him since.

Thanks, I think I'll do that. Every day for the past two weeks there has been a "safety" camera van on the main road, monitoring the "safety" levels which are measured km/h - I bet they have made some good coin out of the locals who are extra "safe" in the mornings around here - and during that time the only cop car I've seen was parked up and the officer looked rather busy on facebook as I walked by. He was probably just having lunch by the side of the road.

If you want the cops to turn up, quickly and in force, tell them you think you saw the passenger pointing a gun out the window.

8 hours ago, Twistee said:

OMG, I filled out a 105 Police report form. I don't know what I was expecting as a confirmation of submission email but this is just fantastic :

1 hour ago, Cement said:

I've done the same and its turned out to be a waste of time.

Same here. Matt red-looking Honda Accord  on SH2 southbound from Napier - first came screamin up a sliproad and used hard shoulder to pass a couple of cars before diving into the line of traffic, then zigzaggng through traffic along SH2 before heading off to Flaxmere. Very, very noisy car, coupla young 'uns (they all are these days ;) ) in it.

I had a pic of the car. Thought about *555ing them but... Where's the point?

At home I checked and both WoF and rego are out byt over 6 months. 105 form, and... Yup - same pointless result.
Maybe it is just a 'feel good' form for people who've felt strongly enough to report bad driving?

In the meantime, the TV ad tells me the police are keeping speeds down to make our roads safer. 😡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

This is apparently a thing now. Thought it had stopped in the early 2000s. 

This was in Paris, France. Happened twice to this guy apparently. 6 month wait for parts. 

I like it that the thieves unplugged everything rather than just cutting the wires as they did when stealing my stuff. 

Cheers...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

If you want the cops to turn up, quickly and in force, tell them you think you saw the passenger pointing a gun out the window.

Jesus Dave. Don't do this. It feeds the police narative of increasing firearms crime which directly leads to punitive measures against licenced firearms owners, and likely will end up with someone being shot. 

Grow the f**k up. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Grow the f**k up. 

Oh, the irony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Oh, the irony.

What? I took the name from somebody who claimed M cars were all no good as they had been abused by "young thrash drivers", and therefore his base spec 330i was a better car and worth moonbeams. A view almost as ignorant as advocating lying to police.

The ends do not justify the M3ANs.

Edited by Young Thrash Driver
Sausage fingers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A number of our neighbours got together and contacted the police about cars speeding down our road a couple of months back.

The police responded by placing a traffic car at the bottom of the road with a speed gun (see it does work, you don’t need to be a dick and report non-existent weapons).

One of the first people caught was my Mrs! 🤬

All of my dealings with the NZ police have been positive, from both sides of the (of)fence as well. Try the U.K. if you want an over-stretched force that cannot police lower level crimes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

One of the first people caught was my Mrs!

Gold :D I'll happily let them park in the drive way and setup a comfy chair for them along with a supply of tea and biscuits for an all day stake out !! Then we can half any cash payments as a side hustle woop.

• Like 1

I had a visit from the Police within 25 minutes of me gingerly driving my M52 compact up and down the street with half an exhaust. I didn't even do a skid. The police officer read from his notes that the caller who dobbed me in estimated I was doing around 40km/h in a 50 zone 🙄

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

I find it strange that anyone could take this facetious comment seriously ? Although, this forum does seems to be pretty much devoid of a sense of humour !!!!

Cheers... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Jesus Dave. Don't do this. It feeds the police narative of increasing firearms crime which directly leads to punitive measures against licenced firearms owners, and likely will end up with someone being shot. 

Grow the f**k up. 

1bxmzh.jpg

On the plus side, I spoke with AT who are sending a street sweeper to clean up the debris field.

On the topic of the police, I just got pulled over randomly and out of the blue about 20 minutes ago. 

Was not speeding so was curious as to why they had stopped me. 

Two officers got out, one went to the passenger side of my car, the other to the driver's side. I got asked for my license (as per usual), and I gave it to them. It was then photographed and handed back to me. (didn't seem to have been put through any system check etc)

Was expecting the obligatory "any alcohol tonight", but the driver's side officer simply said "drive safe" and then they both quickly walked back to their car before I could even ask why I had been stopped. 

Ummm wtf.....

Surely if it was a "random" check (which my 540i seems to get me occasionally) they would have to run my license through their system, check for alcohol etc. Even more puzzling is I was in my Peugeot 207 GTI which just generally blends in.

Not even sure if its a legal stop because even for a license check they would at least run it through the system to check for demerits, disqualifications etc. And usually these random checks use checking for alcohol as the reason for the stop. 

And then to have a police officer either side of my Peugeot hatchback.... its not like its some dodgey blacked out slammed Commodore. 

Just seemed a bit suss... Anyone else had this happen? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Kees said:

On the topic of the police, I just got pulled over randomly and out of the blue about 20 minutes ago. 

Two officers got out, one went to the passenger side of my car, the other to the driver's side. I got asked for my license (as per usual), and I gave it to them. It was then photographed and handed back to me. (didn't seem to have been put through any system check etc)

Yes, but in Belgium where they have guns. We had a  loose rear  jack stand on a trailer that was trailing on the road and sparking. Porsche 911 Targa, they moved up both sides of the Transit tow vehicle and banged on both doors at the same time. We would have been scared if we hadn't just had an awful channel crossing. They got us out of the van, motioned us to follow them and pointed out the loose jack. Big deal, but they weren't being friendly...

Went on to lose 2 out of 4 trailer tyres on that trip and hoon down the Eifel mountains in the fog. Only scary when we drove back up in daylight...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gjm said:

I had a pic of the car. Thought about *555ing them but... Where's the point?

*555 does actually work if the driving is dangerous. I *555'd what im sure was a drunk driver who was all over the road, and sure enough they got flagged down by a cop car that was waiting for them further up the road.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kees said:

Was expecting the obligatory "any alcohol tonight", but the driver's side officer simply said "drive safe" and then they both quickly walked back to their car before I could even ask why I had been stopped. 

Ummm wtf.....

Surely if it was a "random" check (which my 540i seems to get me occasionally) they would have to run my license through their system, check for alcohol etc. Even more puzzling is I was in my Peugeot 207 GTI which just generally blends in.

Not even sure if its a legal stop because even for a license check they would at least run it through the system to check for demerits, disqualifications etc. And usually these random checks use checking for alcohol as the reason for the stop. 

And then to have a police officer either side of my Peugeot hatchback.... its not like its some dodgey blacked out slammed Commodore. 

very random, I wonder what would happen/how they would react if you lead with "what seems to be the problem officer" when they asked for your ID? haha

I think it is very likely that they ran your plate whilst following you prior to pulling you over so they would have already checked the car ownership then just got a visual match from inspecting your DL.

• Like 2

New rant. :D

People whose default reaction to any question - any question - about a car, any car, is 'scan it'. No actual knowledge-based suggestion. And typically no help at all with "I get code 68 from my M50B20-equipped E36."

(Yes it's a valid suggestion in some cases but there are often more straightforward answers.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Someone came back last night and baked it up (pitiful attempt) much closer to our place, so I wasted a huge amount of time doing something I meant to do last year during lockdown and installed another camera covering the cul de sac. 

My neighbours are well pissed at the state of things, fingers crossed they try their luck again tonight. 

image.png.5d84f829bad80fe0900346434a2ec1be.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, qube said:

what seems to be the problem officer

Something I will definitely do if it happens again. 

17 hours ago, qube said:

I think it is very likely that they ran your plate whilst following you prior to pulling you over so they would have already checked the car ownership then just got a visual match from inspecting your DL.

That is very true, didn’t consider that. Curiously though, the Peugeot is not registered in my name. I’m guessing they don’t have the information which tells them which drivers are associated with the vehicle under its insurance policy? If they do have that info the ID check would make sense, otherwise it’s still a bit weird I was pulled over.  

I would imagine that the most they could do is find whoever the vehicle is registered to, insurance named drivers is a totally different thing.

• Like 1

My (un)educated guess would be that they were looking for a car and / or dude that roughly matched you and your Pugs description.

My mate & I once got stopped three times in half an hour by three different Police cars as they were looking for a vehicle connected with a robbery.

• Like 1