Apex

Life is choice bro thread.

I'm pretty impressed with Weber's (BBQ's) customer service.

I need new burner tubes for my 6yo "Family Q" (3200) and they're not supplied at retail. Smart Marine gave me the email address to reach, I sent them an email over the weekend, they replied on Tuesday. I wasn't able to reply to them with the requested photos until after 5pm on Tuesday but received an email reply less that 15 minutes later that my replacement parts will be with me in 3-5 days, no charge.

Happy with that. I don't mind paying a margin for quality products with quality service standing behind it. Well done Weber.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I'm pretty impressed with Weber's (BBQ's) customer service.

I need new burner tubes for my 6yo "Family Q" (3200) and they're not supplied at retail. Smart Marine gave me the email address to reach, I sent them an email over the weekend, they replied on Tuesday. I wasn't able to reply to them with the requested photos until after 5pm on Tuesday but received an email reply less that 15 minutes later that my replacement parts will be with me in 3-5 days, no charge.

Happy with that. I don't mind paying a margin for quality products with quality service standing behind it. Well done Weber.

Charcoal is far more reliable :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Charcoal is far more reliable :)

Agreed, it just doesn't suit my BBQ needs at the moment. When I got the Weber 6 years back I laboured over this choice... eventually I'll have both. 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

Agreed, it just doesn't suit my BBQ needs at the moment. When I got the Weber 6 years back I laboured over this choice... eventually I'll have both. 😎

Oklahoma joe bronco + your Webber.

No need for coal.

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

Oklahoma joe bronco + your Webber.

No need for coal.

I have a 200litre drum smoker I built - does an amazing job, incredibly stable temps and just as comfortable with chicken as brisket / short rib etc.

But looks like a POS 🤣

We are moving in the next few months though and might retire it and get a Kamado style one.

IMG_1702.jpg

• Like 1

No I love that.  Drum smokers are amazing for stable temps.  So efficient on fuel too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sammo said:

I have a 200litre drum smoker I built - does an amazing job, incredibly stable temps and just as comfortable with chicken as brisket / short rib etc.

But looks like a POS 🤣

We are moving in the next few months though and might retire it and get a Kamado style one.

Come on man, where's the build thread on that?!  Looks very interesting, and probably significantly less pricey than a Giant Green Egg or Kamado Joe.

@Driftit I like the idea of the Oklahoma Joe you mentioned, but lack the space.  

I've been running an old BBQ Factory 4 burner Capt-n-cook that I refurbed (including flame tamers, enameled grilles, cleanup, reg, and sand-back, repair, re-oil the frame) for 5 or 6 years now, including smoking with a pair of smoker boxes that I cycle through (hint:  soak your chips in cleanskin Cab/shiraz/merlot - whatever's cheap!).  

24512305474_317b38da0e_c.jpg.2b749d8b0ac0ea4827b82a146248e78a.jpg

I'm about to assemble family xmas present Weber Family Q3200 as key alternative while kitchen replacement is in-play Feb-Apr.  When one's better half suggests 'we should get a Weber Q to cook on while the Kitchen is in pieces', there's no need to question.

• Like 2

I'm holding off until I move into the new place later this year.  A friend has one of the Oklahoma Joe's and it is so easy and the result is amazing.
@*Glenn* was smoking some nice stuff a few years back.

• Like 1

no question a proper smoker is the way to go, I have trouble getting temps stable at 90c with the Cap'n-cook***... I understand with the purpose-built smokers you can get 65c for loooooooong and slow smoking?

*** though I have slow-smoked a cube-roll with rub over 3.5hrs to great effect, measuring internal beef temp with Weber meet thermometer.

Edited by Olaf

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

no question a proper smoker is the way to go, I have trouble getting temps stable at 90c with the Cap'n-cook***... I understand with the purpose-built smokers you can get 65c for loooooooong and slow smoking?

*** though I have slow-smoked a cube-roll with rub over 3.5hrs to great effect, measuring internal beef temp with Weber meet thermometer.

You can smoke in anything (the Weber Kettles can work well too) but having a little more volume and being well sealed is the main thing (aside from technique and knowing your smoker of course).

I've not used them, but you can also get little fans which adapt to an air inlet linked to a thermometer couple so it will control your temp for you by blowing to increase temp whenever it drops below your set point and stopping when it exceeds a set point - good if you want to do an overnight cook or don't want to babysit the fire.

I have a very low tech drum but have a fantastic dual (meat and air)  probe thermometer with a separate RF receiver which tracks current and high/low temps and find once I get it in its zone I can go to the beach during a cook, come back 3 hours later and temp has only fluctuated 10c.

Have not heard of smoking as low as 65c? 105c is generally as low as I go, and keep 6 hour plus cooks in the 105-120c range.

My wife doesn't allow thermometer talk anymore haha (I brew as well so I'm always going on about temperature 🤣)

• Thanks 1

I went full yokel/redneck/retard:

Full temp control 😄

vHODd0t.jpg

Bacon:

rxTAHhf.jpg

• Like 5

Needed to get a refill on my gas bottle for the BBQ. Turns out I still have my original BMW stamped cargo net in the boot. 

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! 👍🏻 

4 hours ago, Allanw said:

Full temp control 😄

vHODd0t.jpg

Bacon:

rxTAHhf.jpg

Wouldn't FULL retard mean attaching your still to the side of it?? 😉 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, aja540i said:

Wouldn't FULL retard mean attaching your still to the side of it?? 😉 

It's still being considered 🙂

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 7:53 AM, Allanw said:

Full temp control 😄

vHODd0t.jpg

Bacon:

rxTAHhf.jpg

Dude that's awesome.  And it's on-trend, being electric!  I saw that Weber have released their electric BBQ range recently. 

• Like 1

Fantastic weather we've been having lately has meant a lot of aviating. Test is coming up and I'm feeling good about it!

• Like 2

Last FCP delivery for the year, merry early xmas! 😎C023ACB3-4741-4C66-B951-21D810B1409E.thumb.jpeg.c4b845b2e6208e4fc04f6e143082dabe.jpeg

• Like 2

Must be a good day - its been a mission but Oxford passed wof haha. Now to use it!

2C874DAD-04DA-4835-96F0-6F626AA9ABFF.thumb.jpeg.e916b00f28caffb0e4ab94d2f1d18611.jpeg

Two ‘choice bro’s’ in one day hope thats a good sign 🤣

• Like 5

Had the X5 serviced at Continentals on their Value Package. Quick,, impeccable service, great chat about the car, good advice, really was 10/10.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Had the X5 serviced at Continentals on their Value Package. Quick,, impeccable service, great chat about the car, good advice, really was 10/10.

Hi Scott @Palazzo how old is your X5 and how does the value package work? Is it only a Continentals thing?  Sounds interesting 

@E28E30, first of the F15s, late 2013. Not sure if it’s Continentals only, they’re owned by Sime Darby and the offer came through them. Thought I’d seen it somewhere else in Akkd, but maybe I was imagining things. Has to be over 6 years old, fixed price for 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder or V8 (I think). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palazzo said:

@E28E30, first of the F15s, late 2013. Not sure if it’s Continentals only, they’re owned by Sime Darby and the offer came through them. Thought I’d seen it somewhere else in Akkd, but maybe I was imagining things. Has to be over 6 years old, fixed price for 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder or V8 (I think). 

Thank you fella :) @Palazzo