Sign in to follow this  
Filth

E39 Engine Issue

Hi Guys,

Check out the following Youtube video I've made on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3jqkbqU-vI&feature=youtu.be

Car broke down last weekend - dumped a whole heap of coolant. 2 weeks prior I had a brand new radiator installed. Not sure what would cause this. A mechanic friend of mine seems to think the engine has seized and blown head gasket but I'm not quite sure on that...

Any info is greatly appreciated if she is repairable ( without putting a new engine in )...

Have you recently started it from cold, then run it a very short time (20 seconds maybe) then turned it off??? That can cause the hydraulic valve lifters to pump up, and hold valves open - meaning no compression.

Did it stop of it's own accord, or was it running until you turned it off, then never went again etc???

The noise is weird - I'd be interested to hear if it still did it if you cranked it with the throttle wide open, and with the coolant cap off

It's clearly not seized currently, but may have a headgasket blown between the cylinders. Oil or water mixing isn;t very common at all with blown head gaskets - moreso cracked heads, but even then not in the majority of cases (usually specific engine dependent).

More info around what happened would help, and why did it have a new radiator installed.

My guess is leaking HG, resulting pressure in cooling system has blown an end cap off the radiator causing the puke on the motorway. That hissing sound will probably be 'zorst gas venting from places it ought not to be.

Get it to a reputable shop and have them run a full leak down test. At least then you'll know where its let go.

Bummer is, once the M54 overheats they tend to tear the head bolts out of the block = bricked engine. The heads crack real easy too, they're a real single use only engine unfortunately. Maybe book it in with Glenn if you can get the car transported to Botany? Good luck dude!

You can have the head bolt holes Time-serted (NOT helicoils!) on the M54, and I personally would do it the first time, befotre trying to bolt a head down. Probably find the block has to come out to get to the back ones though :-(

Have a couple of 530`s here with good motors (`01 & `02). `01 530 manual conversion available as well.

You can have the head bolt holes Time-serted (NOT helicoils!) on the M54, and I personally would do it the first time, befotre trying to bolt a head down. Probably find the block has to come out to get to the back ones though :-(

+1 on Timeserts, given 2 helicoils failed on my mower I wouldn't be too keen on using them on a car engine. I would imagine by the time you removed and stripped the engine, paid for a pro to do the Timeserts, inspect & machine the head, new fasteners and gaskets etc etc it would be more cost effective to just pay the $1500 - odd and throw a replacement engine in the hole. Disadvantages to doing that too, but damned if you do / don't really!

• Like 2