Sign in to follow this  
Rubix

Estoril e36 328i Coupe

Snapped this up on the weekend, cheers Richard.

Absolutely mint example of an e36.
1997 Msport coupe
125xxxkm
JerkCo Auto
BBS RX-204 17x8 all round
M3 mirrors

Few cool options ticked:
Estoril blue (Individual option)
M3 Evo Steering wheel
Clear Indicators all round

HI-FI audio (Still sounds excellent)
Heated Leather seats
Sunroof
Heated mirrors and Door locks.

Quick photo with Phone taken on Sunday. Will take more this weekend after I spend all Saturday cleaning/polishing both exterior and interior (leather is in need of a clean and the whole interior needs a good vacuum).
2qu5jc9.jpg

Bought this to have as a fun daily car with the ability to be a weekend warrior or a nice road-trip car.
Already have a manual conversion sorted out - will be purchasing conversion and building up a clutch within the next month or so then converting it with the help of Jayden (Ibboostn).

To-do list, not in any particular order:

-Clean thoroughly

-LED angel eyes (on their way, ssshhh, I like them on e36's)
-Color matched boot lip spoiler (Ordered, on it's way)
-Replace Bonnet struts (on their way)
-ZF Manual conversion - Full conversion + Clutch, pressure plate and Single mass flywheel have been purchased, picking up on 03/09 - Completed 20/09
-Respray BBS RX-204 in current color or Shadowchrome. May just plastidip them black with a graphite metallizer in the meantime, the rear rims are peeling. (Actually purchasing new BBS RG on 21/09)
-Fix Sunroof
-Replace RTA bushings - Cracking according to inspection, however still an extremely tight feeling rear end. (Purchased 20/09)
-Replace Front Trailing arm bushings - same as above.
-Replace all bulbs in instrument cluster, air con, 11 button OBC etc. Instrument cluster has quite a few blown. (Anyone have the part number for the bulbs i require for the instrument cluster or able to direct me to a link for said bulbs?)
-Fix very funny issue - Radio goes completely static when rear window demister is turned on - I guess there's a broken circuit somewhere.
-Lower slightly, not going to slam it but want it sitting a few mm lower.
-s50 midpipes + backbox

-m50 Intake manifold swap
-K&N cold air intake kit
-Fully inspect cooling system, from what I've checked so far there's indication that the general replacement of components has been completed, but wish to confirm this to see if I need to perform preventative maintenance.
-Replace rear speakers. Fronts sound great, but the rears could do with being replaced with some nice pioneer units.
-Replace thermostat and install alloy thermostat housing

-Install 18 button OBC
-Retrofit remote locking sensor to my auto-dimming mirror and install auto-dimming mirror into car

Overall extremely happy with the car. All suspension components are nice and tight, handles much better than my previous cars (e46 manual 323ci), 300zx, integra type r, multiple subarus, Oettinger Golf V6 4motion etc) and the motor feels extremely strong.

As smooth as the auto is I can't wait to manual convert it and have it as it was intended, a real drivers' car.

Will keep this thread updated with progress on things, and will add more photos once I clean it.

Thanks guys :)

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 5

Photoshoot sometime???

Next Coffee & Cars?

It's beautiful!

Thanks mate. Glad I picked one up in this color.

• Like 3

Discovered yesterday that thermostat is stuck open.
New thermostat and alloy housing ordered (Paul at Milland was very helpful and was the only person to have both in stock :ph34r:) and should hopefully be here tomorrow ready to install on the weekend.

Also quickly applied a yellow tint to my fog lights (just a test, didn't take them out to do it properly yet) - I'm quite liking it, as it goes nicely with the Estoril. What are your thoughts?

s0vixf.jpg

5 minutes after I make this post the courier walks in the door with my thermostat and housing. Considering I ordered the parts from Paul at 4pm yesterday, I'm impressed.
33js4rt.jpg

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 1

Very tidy. Nice score.

Instrument bulbs, I bought some from Repco before, if my memory was right they are same shape as the park light except they are 3W as oppose to 5. Not sure if you took the instrument housing out before, i found that it is possible to remove it without taking off the steering wheel (just). Hope it helps.

While you change the bulb, the headlight switch has a bulb to illuminate the graphics as well, but just about every e36 I driven has blown bulb in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

While you change the bulb, the headlight switch has a bulb to illuminate the graphics as well, but just about every e36 I driven has blown bulb in it.

Easy to change too, its a small reed bulb, iirc about 1w. Make sure the replacement is the same size as i tried a slightly bigger one in the housing when i did mine and it broke into bits inside the switch (and was a pain to get al lthe bits out) when reassembling.

Yup - that's blown so will definitely replace it. Thanks for the advice.
I should be able to pull the instrument cluster with the wheel still on, theoretically just lower it to bottom position and manoeuvre the cluster around it.

Weather looks to be shyte on the weekend, fingers crossed it stays at the very most overcast for a couple of hours so I can get this thermostat done.

Snapped this up on the weekend, cheers Richard.

Absolutely mint example of an e36.

1997 Msport coupe

125xxxkm

ZF auto (At least it feels like one..certainly the smoothest auto I've ever driven)

BBS RX-204 17x8 all round

M3 mirrors

Few cool options ticked:

Estoril blue (Individual option)

M3 Evo Steering wheel

Clear Indicators all round

HI-FI audio (Still sounds excellent)

Heated Leather seats

Sunroof

Heated mirrors and Door locks.

Quick photo with Phone taken on Sunday. Will take more this weekend after I spend all Saturday cleaning/polishing both exterior and interior (leather is in need of a clean and the whole interior needs a good vacuum).

2qu5jc9.jpg

Bought this to have as a fun daily car with the ability to be a weekend warrior or a nice road-trip car.

Already have a manual conversion sorted out - will be purchasing conversion and building up a clutch within the next month or so then converting it with the help of Jayden (Ibboostn).

To-do list, not in any particular order:

-Clean thoroughly

-LED angel eyes (on their way, ssshhh, I like them on e36's)

-Color matched boot lip spoiler (Ordered, on it's way)

-Replace Bonnet struts (on their way)

-Manual conversion (Aiming to complete by October)

-Respray BBS in current color or Shadowchrome. May just plastidip them black with a graphite metallizer in the meantime, the rear rims are peeling.

-Fix Sunroof - Currently tilts fine but doesn't retract completely and makes a terrible noise.

-Replace RTA bushings - Cracking according to inspection, however still an extremely tight feeling rear end, will leave until after manual conversion.

-Replace all bulbs in instrument cluster, air con, 11 button OBC etc. Instrument cluster has quite a few blown. (Anyone have the part number for the bulbs i require for the instrument cluster or able to direct me to a link for said bulbs?)

-Fix very funny issue - Radio goes completely static when rear window demister is turned on - I guess there's a broken circuit somewhere.

-Lower slightly, not going to slam it but want it sitting a few mm lower.

-Supersprint Exhaust

-m50 Intake manifold swap

-K&N cold air intake kit

-Fully inspect cooling system, from what I've checked so far there's indication that the general replacement of components has been completed, but wish to confirm this to see if I need to perform preventative maintenance.

-Replace rear speakers. Fronts sound great, but the rears could do with being replaced with some nice pioneer units.

Overall extremely happy with the car. All suspension components are nice and tight, handles much better than my previous cars (e46 manual 323ci), 300zx, integra type r, multiple subarus, Oettinger Golf V6 4motion etc) and the motor feels extremely strong.

As smooth as the auto is I can't wait to manual convert it and have it as it was intended, a real drivers' car.

Will keep this thread updated with progress on things, and will add more photos once I clean it.

Thanks guys :)

Hey mate, I'm stoked to see its gone to someone who sees the potential I did and that it will be restored. I'm still not sure I should have sold it however I can't have another car just sitting around for the weekend. I look forward to meeting you at a meet and seeing what you have done. I am pulling all the receipts together for you. I have the inspection which shows the awesome compression rates aswell as advice about the rear bushes. I will try to find the receipt about cooling system but I was told that had all been done.

Anyway, although my mates are asking why I sold it and for that price, I'm glad it has gone to you.

Can't wait to see it tidied up and in manual!!! B)

Richard

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by atlantiskiwi

Hey mate, I'm stoked to see its gone to someone who sees the potential I did and that it will be restored. I'm still not sure I should have sold it however I can't have another car just sitting around for the weekend. I look forward to meeting you at a meet and seeing what you have done. I am pulling all the receipts together for you. I have the inspection which shows the awesome compression rates aswell as advice about the rear bushes. I will try to find the receipt about cooling system but I was told that had all been done. Anyway, although my mates are asking why I sold it and for that price, I'm glad it has gone to you. Can't wait to see it tidied up and in manual!!! B) Richard Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks Richard,

Definitely look forward to meeting you at a cars & coffee some time, or the December meet coming up with ECC.

Thanks for sorting out the docs - flick me a message when you've got them all together. Definitely signs that the cooling system has been done, obviously the thermostat is a common issue so no concern in replacing it.

Just spent all morning vacuuming it, cleaning and conditioning the leather and also fixed the sunroof. Now opens fully and makes no noise.

Going to do thermostat shortly and then give it a full wash/wax.

Have also ordered 10x 39mm white festoon LED's in order to replace all the interior bulbs (not including dash etc) and license plate bulbs.

• Like 1

Have also ordered 10x 39mm white festoon LED's in order to replace all the interior bulbs (not including dash etc) and license plate bulbs.

As a matter of interest where did you get these and what type?

eBay bulbs, 39mm 8 LED 5060 bulbs. Read a few threads on bimmerforums/bimmerfest about people using them.

Just search 8 LED 39mm festoon to find them, I've used similar bulbs on my cars in the past. Lights up the interior much better than incandescent bulbs. $11ish shipped for 10 which should be enough for whole car.

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 1

Rubix - this was the long term plan I had for it.

Funnily enough that's almost exactly my long term plan for it.

• Like 1

Did the thermostat and housing on saturday, bled cooling system, went for a drive, re-bled cooling system -_- e36 loops seem to be a pain in the ass to bleed.
All is well now, runs at proper temp.

Very good weekend. (Aside from the torrential rain today)

Got a few goodies:
F**K yeah! Cupholders!
f2k8cp.jpg

Auto-dimming mirror:
334jfhe.jpg
I'm going to have to pull this and my mirror apart. Got the auto-dim mirror installed and the remote locking decided to stop working. I assume the sensor for the remote is in the mirror, so looks like I'll have to find the sensor in the stock mirror and fit it to the new mirror.

And got an 18 button OBC:
rshao7.jpg

And the big news: Got a full manual conversion sorted out with a ZF gearbox and clutch to match. Will be getting all of it on Thursday. Looks like I'll be converting it a lot sooner than anticipated, although I'm not sure which Diff is in it as the tag is missing..it will likely be in the high 3's meaning I'll either run it with the high ratio diff for a little while (few weeks) until a lower ratio diff pops up or I'll wait until getting the diff to convert it.

Current priorities:
Install 18button OBC
Manual swap
Tyres
Suspension (New shocks and springs)
Full s50 exhaust with m50 manifold.

• Like 1

Where did you find the cup holders?

BTW I picked up a Z3 for my wife tonight. Blue, 00, NZ new. Needs work but similar to the 328i

• Like 1

Where did you find the cup holders?

BTW I picked up a Z3 for my wife tonight. Blue, 00, NZ new. Needs work but similar to the 328i

Cup holders were sitting in a friend's garage - He had a 328i, bought another friend's e36 M3 which had cupholders and then sold these ones to me for $50. Stoked.

Glad to hear she's got a car she'll appreciate, can't go wrong with NZ new and yearly WOF's. Manual convert it?? ;)

Cup holders were sitting in a friend's garage - He had a 328i, bought another friend's e36 M3 which had cupholders and then sold these ones to me for $50. Stoked.

Glad to hear she's got a car she'll appreciate, can't go wrong with NZ new and yearly WOF's. Manual convert it?? ;)

Maybe you can do it for her. It can be payment for handing you such a mint car ;)

• Like 2

I also have the strange demister static. Have cleaned the contacts on all the radio/demister gear that is mounted on the inside of the rear pillars - no improvement.

Would be interested to hear if you get any further with it.

I also have the strange demister static. Have cleaned the contacts on all the radio/demister gear that is mounted on the inside of the rear pillars - no improvement.

Would be interested to hear if you get any further with it.

It seems to be intermittent for me, usually when it's wet which would indicate a short of some kind.

Low on the priority list but certainly intend to figure it out, if I do it'll be posted in here.

Thanks Yuen :)

Hmm. Currently without remote locking/unlocking. Figured it must be a programming thing with the Auto-dimming mirror not working. Installed auto-dimming mirror, followed the standard remote programming procedure (turn key from 0 to on 5 times, remove key, hold unlock, press lock 3 times, release unlock).
This didn't appear to work as the locks didn't lock then unlock again.
However I reinstalled my stock mirror and it no longer has remote lock/unlock. So something's obviously de-programmed.

Anyone have any tips on programming an e36 2 button remote? Attempted to follow the same remote programming procedure with both mirrors and neither seem to program.