Sign in to follow this  
Shunty

ABS issue

I've put an M52B28 into my E36 Compact.

The ABS is not working

I have replace the diff and axles with medium case out of E30 325

When I fitted the axles there was a significant rubbing on the left side ABS sensor and the ABS didn't work.

I replaced the sensor with one I had from a sedan

I thought the issue was the instrument cluster from the 6 Cylinder donor car didn't power ABS but even with 4 Cylinder cluster in the ABS light comes on as soon as I start driving. And the ABS definitely isn't working (as discovered on a very wet Taupo track today!)

Any ideas?

Could the rubbing on the axle have damaged the axle so that the sensor can't read correctly?

Scan it to see what fault comes up

You need to read the real time data from the ABS module to see the wheel speed data. This will quickly tell you if the module is receiving signal. Work from there. Next is valid CAN signal from the DME to the ABS

You need to read the real time data from the ABS module to see the wheel speed data. This will quickly tell you if the module is receiving signal. Work from there. Next is valid CAN signal from the DME to the ABS

Yep meant scan/monitor live data - i should have been more specific.

I remember my E39 having all the lights on & no fault codes :ph34r: Wasn't till I looked at live data & caught the R/H rear sensor intermittently dropping out.

Smelling a rat - I checked the output voltage to the sensor at the module & confirmed that dropping out intermittently - one f##ked ABS module

• Like 1

You have to space the rear ABS sensors on the compact when you fit the E30 axles with the medium case diff. The outer Cv's are larger..... I've done this on mine & it all works fine. You may have damaged the sensor ring on the joint by fitting the sensors without a spacer

Scan it to see what fault comes up

Can I scan it with OBD scanner?

You have to space the rear ABS sensors on the compact when you fit the E30 axles with the medium case diff. The outer Cv's are larger..... I've done this on mine & it all works fine. You may have damaged the sensor ring on the joint by fitting the sensors without a spacer

I suspect I have damaged it... is the sensor ring removable?

I still have old axles... could I swap ring?

Can I scan it with OBD scanner?

Using INPA in ODB mode worked fine for me, told me that rear sensors were picking up pulse fails at 50km/h, turns out I didn't have any ABS rings on my 325i half shafts