Sign in to follow this  
RipJaws

e30 m52 Swap, questions and guidance here ye.

So I thought I'd start myself of doing an m52 e30. I would have liked to go m54 but I'll leave that till I'm a little more aquatinted with looms and everything else....

I've been stealing things off my m spec e36 328i. I thought why not take the steering rack and swap it while it's accessible? So I removed the rubber guibo from the steering knuckle and bolted the two yolks together and it fits like a dream.

I've been readying the engine bay to paint and accept its new engine and loom, but I've got a few questions about what to do next...

• I want to shave as much unnecessary bits and bobs off the engine bay as possible, is it OK to remove the air box mount?
  • Is the fuse box a huge task to get out of the way? I've tried and it looks to be. Possibly something I'm missing?
  • Can I throw the big cylindrical canister out, I think it's a charcoal canister (comes from fuel line) or does the m52 need it?
  • Am I able to use the rubber engine mounts again for the m52? The car had an m40 previously..
  • Also I've heard the brake booster is in the way in it's original spot so what's the easiest way to sort that out?

Also, some of stuff about OBD2 and OBD1 conversions is a little confusing, I've tried to look up what the advantages of swapping to OBD1 are on rev limited but the site appears to be down for maintenance at the minute. I just want to make it as easy as possible and not have to buy any extra stuff and just use the e36 donor I have so would it be best to stick with OBD2 and just get the O2's wiped and EWS wiped?

**Update** my e36 is a 1995 so would it even have obd2?

I'll try upload some photos of what I'm doing but internet is poor where I am, its very satisfying to see it all come together, the e30 is a fantastic chassis and I can't wait to see how it handles the new power and things.

Cheers

Edited by RipJaws

Your e36 will be Obd2.

Most people keep the charcoal canister, otherwise the fuel vent line vents fuel fumes into your engine bay. If you do decide to delete it, use a 1watt, 1k resistor in the end of the wire to stop getting codes.

• Like 2

Your e36 will be Obd2.

Most people keep the charcoal canister, otherwise the fuel vent line vents fuel fumes into your engine bay. If you do decide to delete it, use a 1watt, 1k resistor in the end of the wire to stop getting codes.

Ahh seems like a silly idea to get shot of it. Would the e36 have a newer looking one perhaps?

Do you know anything about keeping obd2?

What year and model was the car that donated the m52? I'm pretty sure the canisters are the same, but don't quote me on that.

Yes, my advice is to keep the canister and purge valve setup.

Sorry, I dont know about keeping obd2

The e21 brake booster is a little smaller and is used in the conversion you are doing. I have one if you are looking for one .

Thanks