Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Here we go again with cops and their conclusions

Good guess.

Yes, out of all tourists it is Australian tourists who cause the most crashes on our roads.

This is a great example of a statistic that means diddly-squat, by itself.

Just like how the mortality rate in NZ has continually climbed since the introduction of margarine.

What can we conclude from it?

• Like 2

HA! Good luck with that, even with Uber they would rather fight it then actually become competitive.

become competitive.?They have to buy and run a car and make a living using it.That will require charging a fare to cover that.Or do you expect them not to actually have a decent std of living to be able to take you home from the pub?

• Like 1

Good guess.

Yes, out of all tourists it is Australian tourists who cause the most crashes on our roads.

cause? or involved.I bet they werent on the wrong side of the road!

This is a great example of a statistic that means diddly-squat, by itself.

Just like how the mortality rate in NZ has continually climbed since the introduction of margarine.

What can we conclude from it?

That was my point.

We need to know percentages to be accurate.

cause? or involved.I bet they werent on the wrong side of the road!

caused

Swedes start 'practicing' driving at 16, with a full license available from 18.

Median salaries are comparable - NZ ~$51000, Sweden ~$53000 (equivalent). Swedish income tax is 29%, but taxation is a combination of local and national taxes, so this is an approximation based on median salary.

Even alcohol consumption isn't that different: NZ 10.9l per year, Sweden 9.2l per year. (Pure alcohol, aged 15+. Source: Wikipedia.)

Let's face it. We're pretty crap over here.

hmm, I started 'practising' in NZ at 13, and sat and qualified for my full license at 15, a couple of months before I turned 16. I drove mostly off-road or on dirt before I turned 15. Back then you weren't allowed to drive (on the roads) until you were 15. No learners license existed.

Agree, its not a economic issue but an attitude one. Areas of the world pride themselves on doing thing correctly, efficiently and strive for improvement. Not minimum pass, scrape through and least effort.

Kids roaming around the back seat, tailgating and other poor driving are the daily socially accepted standard so why strive for better...