Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Next Batch of Government 7s up for Tender

Discussion of politicians' vehicles is always going to be a source of humour, derision or taxpayer annoyance :)

They are premium luxury vehicles with a short life in service that look like conspicuous consumption - just like the huge numbers of $1000 iPhones and iPad being used by public servants. There may be an interesting or surprising business case that actually makes good sense - but there's still the smell of 'bling' :D

Peter (the other not me) is just voicing what many/most will think and I don't think his comment warrants others (inc. a mod) having a go at him. Let's keep it friendly dudes.

Anyway - do wonder who ends up buying these - Ls are huge and the flagpole attachments must be tempting to use!

you can be sure that the business cases for such items are very carefully considered, they know fully the kind of laymen 'scrutiny' they'll get, and if they could just make do with a $100 warehouse special, they would! The amount of scrutiny on business cases in Government is well beyond the norm in the private sector; there have been very public failures, and painful lessons learned.

I think that "most" would, in fact, have faith that their public servants are spending the funds wisely, not 'gold plating' the toolsets, and are doing the right thing. You can be sure that any vendor of the cheaper alternatives would publicly cry foul if their solution was clearly better (met all of the criteria) than the selected solution in any competitive procurement.

190g/km, 7.3l/100, and the vehicle met all of the tender requirements better than the other respondents.

IRD's standard depreciation is 30% per annum (diminishing value), I forget what the straight-line is. So assuming a purchase price of, oh, $120k? The book value is now $20,100 at end of march 2016, asuming (conveniently) that the asset was acquired 1 April 2011.

So as with any other business, one asumes they follow the IRD rules, and of course in tendering - for government entities - the Government Rules of Sourcing. One hopes they negotiated an exceptional deal based on their buying power (a large fleet purchase), and the cachet for the Vendor.

Perhaps I should get one, if they're going at $20k?

If you distill the emotion, this is really a straightforward business transaction where NZ Government has selected the best tool for the job. The asset has gone through its lifecycle, and is now being disposed. No sense in sweating the asset further.

Shame they can't get it right with helicopters. err, I'll get me coat then. :ph34r:

For $20k, these represent a remarkable car. They're incredibly unlikely to have a hard life, and could be expected to run for a lo-o-o-ong time yet.

For $20k, these represent a remarkable car. They're incredibly unlikely to have a hard life, and could be expected to run for a lo-o-o-ong time yet.

I dunno if they're as 'cheap' as $20k. That was my extrapolated book value based on an assumed price, to be fair! #8 )

Hmmm, I think the vehicle of choice when our former PM denied ordering high-speed to the airport (and refused to acknowledge any sensation or awareness of the circa 170km/h speed of her convoy), was a Ford. :ph34r:

So yes, these should have had a relatively easy life. The occasional speedy jaunt in a motorcade (I still remember seeing the Duchess of Cambridge whizzing past me on Oriental Parade one grey afternoon), mostly (in Wellington at least) cruising from the airport to the beehive, around the bays.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

I dunno if they're as 'cheap' as $20k. That was my extrapolated book value based on an assumed price, to be fair! #8 )

You're probably right.

A lucky few private buyers may have picked up one or two, but I suspect dealers will have snapped up the rest.

Edit:

Curiously, when I looked before the cars appeared to be being offered by Tender. Now they look as thought they'll actually be for sale.

Maybe they weren't (comparatively) cheap.

Edited by gjm

they are cheap for a bmw.They will be at more expensive (i would have thought) than the comparitive ford or holden.There are many ways that a deal like this could be engineered.May be the they are kinda leased ,maybe BMW have guaranteed a certain buy back price.There are other factors too.Have you ridden in the back of a fairmont?I have and the ride was terrible!

They've been updated on Turners and the cheapest unit is $35k ...

Cant have been a car for anyone important, maybe just MPs/opposition or something. its got one of the shortest options lists I think i have ever seen on a 7 series. A poverty pack 7 series...

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if that was ever part of the Crown Fleet (or ex Government as the seller refers). My understanding is that all the Crown cars are the same colour - silver, with the same interior - grey.

No flag holders on the front guards, and no holes in the interior where all the extra radios, GPS trackers, etc are mounted.

Pretty much every 730Ld ever listed on TardMe is called a Govt Car, one joker even tried to suggest his car was “THE Royal Visit” car.

They do still pop up now and again on used car yards, and some of the latest fleet have started to show up at Turners as the greens push for EVs.

EDIT: Just checked on carjam and as expected it has never been part of the NZ Crown Fleet (no CRxxx rego) but was in fact imported for an embassy and registered on a Diplo plate (DCxxxx) so half right I guess.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I would be very surprised if that was ever part of the Crown Fleet (or ex Government as the seller refers). My understanding is that all the Crown cars are the same colour - silver, with the same interior - grey.

Pretty much every 730Ld ever listed on TardMe is called a Govt Car, one joker even tried to suggest his car was “THE Royal Visit” car.

They do still pop up now and again on used car yards, and some of the latest fleet have started to show up at Turners as the greens push for EVs.

Previous rego DC2195

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup - overseas diplomat, not NZ Govt fleet. So half right.

17 hours ago, KwS said:

Cant have been a car for anyone important, maybe just MPs/opposition or something. its got one of the shortest options lists I think i have ever seen on a 7 series. A poverty pack 7 series...

Overseas spec, just goes to show how much extra kit is added to the “NZ New” spec versus most other countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Previous rego DC2195

Clearly a foreign mission with taste...they've replaced it with an X6 🤮

It was probably treated like it was a Camry. Or Prius for that matter haha

2 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

What the hell, it's all dented up. Diplomacy on a budget?

They also held onto it for 10 years!

Who the hell buys a SWB for a diplomatic car? Normally these are 730ld’s for this duty 

2 hours ago, treone said:

It was probably treated like it was a Camry. Or Prius for that matter haha

I was actually a little bit disappointed they didn’t want to fly the flag with a Hyundai Genesis. Maybe that’s what’s replaced it. 

56 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

I was actually a little bit disappointed they didn’t want to fly the flag with a Hyundai Genesis. Maybe that’s what’s replaced it. 

We had the new Genesis G70 come through when I worked at a Hyundai dealership. Really nice car, built on the Kia Stinger platform so gets the twin turbo V6. Our first one came in, and had different coloured wheels on each side (black on one side, grey on the other. Not intentional). That was a bastard to sort out.

12 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Bang on, they are now using a Genesis G80.