Sign in to follow this  
Scrambler

E30 Flywheel for m52 swap Irritation/Big Mistake

I'm just about finished my E30 M52 swapdoo, but have run into a bit of a cock up on my part!

I purchased the 240mm m3 clutch and flywheel package from trade me which was quite a steep setup and I planned to use a M40 gear box.... So for those that already know, thats not going to work. I always had some suspicions it wouldn't go together as planned but its so hard to find an m20 fly wheel where I am so I thought f it and just got it.

I'm thinking I either pull the fly wheel and clutch off and keep it aside/sell it.

or

Use an e36 box, and machine up a drive shaft to fit the e30/ cut the shifter parts down to suit.

I need some advice on what to do, I'd like to keep the flywheel on the engine and use it for this swap but if its easier in the long run then i'll just a hole it, so is it very difficult to get an e36 box to work with an e30?

Thanks

Im also just about finished an m50 swap, using a Getrag 220 form an e36. I found it very easy to make the box work. Just cut and re-welded the shift linkage, and my driveshaft bolted right up. The e30 was originally a 320i. Im not sure what box you have to use when using the m3 clutch but hopefully this helped.

I think all e36 box's will fit over the 240mm clutch set up but I was then wondering if I would need to slice up the drive shaft if I got one because of the different length. I knew an e30 m42 gear box would fit the swap so tried that and be right length for the 320i drive shaft but haha as I say won't fit over the e36 M3/M52 240mm clutch but was hoping someone would tell me what you just have.

Thats awesome news so thanks. Was it difficult to find the 220 from an e36 and do you then need to change the rear diff? Because of the ratios? Also does the 320i e30 drive shaft fit the gear box flange alright?

I wanted to go Medium case LSD on the e30 anyway

Can anyone confirm this gear box will work with a 240mm clutch set up? The bell housing isn't deep enough on my e30 m42 box

Edited by Scrambler

There pretty easy to find, I think the diff might need to be changed but i havent drivin mine yet so im not 100% sure. Yea the driveshaft bolted right upto my one.

Nothing really to add, but if you want to sell your m3 setup lets talk

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 1

Its just one of these man http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/gear-boxes/auction-1083838062.htm

You interested?

There pretty easy to find, I think the diff might need to be changed but i havent drivin mine yet so im not 100% sure. Yea the driveshaft bolted right upto my one.

So what set up you running? 320i e30 Driveshaft, E36 Getrag 220 (modified linkages??), M50B?

Edited by Scrambler

There is sooo much info on the net about things like this.

If you know the lengths you need there are driveshafts out there that will work without having to cut them up and use a 6cyl shifter linkage as they are shorter and you shouldn't need to chop.

Read e30wiki or search on here has been covered many times

Any m40 or m50 gearbox will work from e30 or e36

I think youve missed what I'm asking or maybe I worded it ambiguously.

I've already searched and re searched on my issue. I've got an M40 gear box but its not fitting over my 240mm clutch and pressure plate.. I thought I had it all figured out until this problem. It seems only E36 gear boxes of any kind will fit over the 240mm M52-M3-E36 clutch/pressure plate. Thats what I was trying to confirm. I've been on e30 wiki and it doesn't really cover my problem.

M42 gear box is great with an M20 flywheel set up.

Theres people talking about grinding down the bell housing and all sorts. Bit barbaric but maybe it'll work. Has anyone even had this problem on these forums?

Edited by Scrambler

if you are using an E30 gearbox you must use an E30 flywheel (the M20 shaved down to fit is the obvious choice. you could also use dual mass M40 etc.)

if using E36 box you have the choice i believe, however since you have room the obvious choice is the M3 setup.

I will be pulling the trigger on an M3 setup in the next few days, my dual mass is toast in the race car, so let me know one way or another if you want to recover your money on your setup, ill buy it. Let me know, i won't wait around for ever.

Cheers

• Like 1

if you are using an E30 gearbox you must use an E30 flywheel (the M20 shaved down to fit is the obvious choice. you could also use dual mass M40 etc.)

if using E36 box you have the choice i believe, however since you have room the obvious choice is the M3 setup.

I will be pulling the trigger on an M3 setup in the next few days, my dual mass is toast in the race car, so let me know one way or another if you want to recover your money on your setup, ill buy it. Let me know, i won't wait around for ever.

Cheers

Oh goodness me, okay in my impetuosity I've over looked that detail. Just thought the M40 gear box would work no matter what. Thanks for setting me straight...

Thanks heaps for the offer that's an awesome thing to do to get me out of the sh*t, However I think I will decline and find an e36 box that will fit then keep the M3 set up.

Really appreciate the offer though.

Cheers

• Like 1