Sign in to follow this  
Joel61

[Solved]E46 Electrics spazzing out

So first off here is the video so you know what I am taling about:

So basically I went to get in my car just before and it started fine but gauge cluster would not work along with that screen spazzing out. I tried to get it into reverse but it wouldn't go in as if it hadn't detected that the key was in. I tried restarting the car another 3 times and I could finally get it into reverse.

Things I noticed wouldn't work are:
  • Indicators (they work but don't show on gauge cluster)
  • gauge cluster
  • middle screen spazzing out
  • can't get car out of park sometimes.

Says traction control is off even though it's on

This is the first time it has happened and it has been raining today (car lives outside) so I am guessing thats the reason why. Something has just got wet. So at the moment I am going to leave it till the morning to see if it fixes itself.

Any ideas what has gone wrong or what is shorting out so I can fix this and prevent it from happening again?

Car: E46 320i 2001

Thanks!

Edited by Joel61

Sounds like you got water leaking somewhere, probably onto control modules. Has it got a sunroof?

Sounds like you got water leaking somewhere, probably onto control modules. Has it got a sunroof?

yeah my thought too, but I'm not sure where.

Edit: Didnt see that last part. Yes it has a sunroof

Edited by Joel61

Check battery terminals are tight.

They are tight

Id check the sunroof drain tubes aren't blocked for starters. Im sure there is plenty of info on google about how\what to check.

Id check the sunroof drain tubes aren't blocked for starters. Im sure there is plenty of info on google about how\what to check.

I check that a month or two ago and it was clear so I doubt it has anything to do with that

Is the main positive lead out of battery still intact ?

Also check the heavy duty line fuses in box above battery and look for corrosion as well.

Also check battery voltage and make sure its not too low

Edited by Neal

Not sure if related to the ignition switch assembly? Our e46 had electrical issues but it was the indicators, radio and sun visor lights playing up. Took out the ignition switch, cleaned it up and haven't had any trouble since.

Just checked the voltage and it's at 11.74v so basically dead flat. I'm charging it up now so hopefully that was the problem. I will let you guys know in about 6 hours

That seems to me like environmental or handling damage done to the instrument cluster it's self

I'd gladly take a look at the unit at no cost to suggest what could be done.

I'm in Auckland, Ellerslie so welcome to stop by over the weekend if suitable.

Thanks for the offer @Michael. but I have fixed the issue.
---
So I have fixed it. This is what I did:

1. Turn off the car.
2. Remove fuse 10, 34, 43
3. Start car again.
4. Turn it off again.
5. Put in all the fuses, turn on again and it worked.

So what I think happened was that the battery got to low causing the gauge cluster to glitch up. When I charged the battery back up it initially didn't make a difference as the gauge cluster was still glitched. Removing those fuses and putting them back in basically restarted the gauge cluster and got it working again.

And yes the battery is f**ed it was losing 0.01v every couple of seconds so I have now replaced it with another battery.

Thanks guys for helping out!
Edited by Joel61
  • Like 1