Sign in to follow this  
Richiezhp

New work car/project

Hey Guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here but wanted to add my car I've bought mostly for work.

It's a 540i m sport e39. Brought it off a guy on TM recently. Has had another engine dropped in... Yes Very promising... But all checks out at Burgers motors.

I'll be keen to hear what people think of these as I know there can be a few potential issues with them but this one feels solid.

MAF had issues straight away which affected the whole drivability but after I drenched it in CRC MAF cleaner it's come to life. Next on the list is to change the dreadful wheels it came with, new seals and service. I'll post some better pics when I have time but they are rightfully cack.

Thanks

post-51161-0-65918200-1467626701_thumb.j

post-51161-0-98545900-1467627700.jpeg

post-51161-0-39845500-1467627710.jpeg

Edited by Richiezhp
  • Like 2

NICE!!!

I must have missed that one on trademe. Got moe details? km? NZ new or import? Service history?

The main thing that scares me with those engines is the timing chain guides.

Very good Richie.

/

First thing I'd do is replace those what look to be non genuine wheels with genuine BMW / BSS wheels. They look like reps, but I could be wrong

• Like 1

Congrats on the buy OP, I must say you're the only person I know that's intentionally bought a 540i as a daily/work car though.

Very good Richie.

/

First thing I'd do is replace those what look to be non genuine wheels with genuine BMW / BSS wheels. They look like reps, but I could be wrong

They are Beyern Five's I believe. Certainly not BMW but don't think they are reps either.

NICE!!!

I must have missed that one on trademe. Got moe details? km? NZ new or import? Service history?

The main thing that scares me with those engines is the timing chain guides.

Its NZ new and no service history but bought from a DIY mechanic that had BMWS all over his front yard. I can only think he married a nun. I shouldnt say this, he might be on here.

at the end of the day the car was tidy and it checked out with a pre purchase.. bit risky but the engine has done 40,000KM less than the car so thats around 120,000. This can be apparently confirmed with the vin on engine ? but im not completely sure as i have not yet had time to investigate this ha.

the timing chain was a huge put off hearing about all this but at the end of the day its all part of the 'fun' right.. theres no evidence of problems.

thanks for the interest :)

Rich

• Like 1

Very good Richie.

/

theyre not genuine BMW wheels for sure, the wheels them self are Beyern Five's indeedy and dont want to offend anyone but i really do not like them one bit! like with my old car, im looking for style 95's now :)

Congrats on the buy OP, I must say you're the only person I know that's intentionally bought a 540i as a daily/work car though.

They are Beyern Five's I believe. Certainly not BMW but don't think they are reps either.

Thanks mate, i agree. They do not sit well with me at all! Well i needed a 4 door that was bigger than a 3 series so the 5 series was the only plausible option to me ha. had to be an m sport however. :)

Looks like a nice clean example you picked up there, the motorsport is always a bonus. as for the style 95s there was a set of 6 for sale on the facebook BMW NZ buy and sell page for $1500

• Like 1

Nice car.

I have a work-mate who has one for a daily driver who keeps his very well maintained. Problems he has had include replacing water cooled alternator and fuel tank transfer pump.

• Like 1

Hi guys, had the car for just over a week. Need some advise about the wheels.

Don't know if anyone saw on TM recently the x6 style 95's on sale but I've bought them.

Basically I'm left with a decision as x2 are damaged and one of them can be saved.

Question: can I run 10's on the front on my e39 with a 245 40 tyre? Has anyone done this?

Pic is of a trial fit of the 10" on back with the 9.5 on front. They were fine but unsure what the 10" would be like on the front. I'm unable to trial fit a 10" on the front until I commit to a tyre...

post-51161-0-18984600-1468408957_thumb.j

post-51161-0-65944500-1468409000_thumb.p

Edited by Richiezhp

the style 95's only come as 19x9 and 19x10.

why would you put the 10s on the front?

also running 245 on 10 is possible but would depend on the brand of the tyres - it would look very "stance" but performance is going to be severly compromised and maybe even dangerous.

• Like 1

the style 95's only come as 19x9 and 19x10.

why would you put the 10s on the front?

also running 245 on 10 is possible but would depend on the brand of the tyres - it would look very "stance" but performance is going to be severly compromised and maybe even dangerous.

So as it stands I have 2 10" wrapped in Falken 255 40 on the back. Which brings me to the front... I'm left with x2 9.5 (one damaged) and x2 10" wheels (one damaged)

I'm thinking either way I need to get one fixed but do I go with the 9.5 on the front or shall I go absolutely mental and save the other 10" and do them all around. Tbh I wouldn't mind this look if the tyre profile and width would be happy enough within the wheel arch.

It's annoying I can't upload photos as they're too big :/

hope you got some money back from the seller for selling you 2 damaged wheels not 1 as stated.

the seller you bought them from bought the 2x extra 19x10s for $200.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-1117948989.htm

I would say stick with 9s on the front and 10s on the back but 10s all round would be pretty mental.. depends if you can make the tyres fit/work with that amount of stretch etc.

best to ask a "stance" orientated tyre shop like auto stance highbrook etc :)

• Like 1

I didn't buy the x6 wheels for no reserve price as listed... I feel I got an okay deal but certainly not a great deal.

Either way I need to now pay to save one wheel.

i need more kids that no about that 'stance life' to let me know as I just want to make them work. Ha. Cheers for the advise man :)