Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Least desirable BMW?

As we know there's a BMW to fit in every market sector these days, well nearly.

I can't help but find some of these models do come across like coffee break products, designed and put into production quickly with a BMW roundel slapped on, but of course they sell by the dozen :P

There's a few that make me cringe everytime I see them on the road.

Of course this is subjective, but these BMWs don't really stack up for me, if anything they would suit being in a Mazda, Kia, Toyota, Hyundai range!

For what they cost I can't help but to find they would be embarrassing models to drive, especially when you could pocket 1/2 the cost and buy something similar in practicality from a more modest manufacture and avoid trying to show off with the badge.

2 Series Active

BMW-2-Series-Active-Tourer-South-Africa-

5 Series GT

bmw-5-series-gt-2_0.jpg?itok=gq7EC1H4

X1

BMW+X1+Mk1+-01.jpg

X3

used-2009-bmw-x3-30i-11409-14649640-1-64

• Like 2

I won't lie, i kinda like the X1, but totally see what you mean. Seems that BMW want to dominate, if not, have a stake in every possible option for vehicles. I guess these things all cater to each type buyer, whether it be, the town run about, or something more lethal such as the M-Division, whatever floats your boat i guess.

• Like 2

Just like most of the major German manufacturers, Mercedes, Audi etc, all having been pumping out a wide range of models for awhile. I guess when your products aren't as far ahead as they used to be you have to more toward quantity rather than quality.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

Totally, It's pretty academic, all manufactures are doing it.

I think it's just too easy to cling to the more simplistic line ups of the past.

The industry has had to change with the growing competition and that means Mercedes / BMW in particular have had to build less conventional vehicles we all know and love.

I would used to say E65 but even that's grown on me compared to the 2 series active, that is BMW cringe every time I see one. At least the E65 still comes with 6s 8s and a 12 even if it's a bit sh*t and RWD.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the 1 series.

I don't like the i3 either.

Totally, It's pretty academic, all manufactures are doing it.

I think it's just too easy to cling to the more simplistic line ups of the past.

The industry has had to change with the growing competition and that means Mercedes / BMW in particular have had to build less conventional vehicles we all know and love.

Indeed but spoilt for choice comes to mind, not just cars either.

I agree with the 2 series Active Tourer - looks much more like a Renault or Peugeot product...

Other contender is E36 Compact - horrid car on every level

I do agree with all of the above, dislike the X1, the 2 Series Active and the first Gen GT's. However, that is in NZ. Overseas in a completely different environment they look much more acceptable, eg the I3 in San Fransico, or London, just looks as though it belongs. The early GT's which look really awkward here in NZ kind of made sense in Europe and the US as do the X6's

Some of the BMW designs are only now starting to grow on me, - the E65 and the E60 for example. Also the E90 ain't pretty but with the right wheels or Motorsport package does't look as bad.

But looking back on the topic, -" least desirable BMW's," at this stage the E36 series is the winner for me, the Tourings are ok and the M3's are very nice, but we are talking about least desirable and I have difficulty in accepting that in the future the E36 will ever be as popular as the E30 or even the E46.

• Like 1

Yeah for sure a bad spec E36 is quite the shocker, at least a bad spec E30, E34 etc still maintained some charm.

Other contender is E36 Compact - horrid car on every level

I strongly disagree. About the every level thing. Sure it's got its downsides, but my 316i is ridiculously economical, plenty spacious, still has proper BMW comfort on the open road and is tiny, having all the benefits associated... easy to park, very small turning circle etc.

Gutless and somewhat of an ugly duckling yeah, but the hatch is damn useful. Can't get a dishwasher in a Sedan or Coupe.

• Like 3

I strongly disagree. About the every level thing. Sure it's got its downsides, but my 316i is ridiculously economical, plenty spacious, still has proper BMW comfort on the open road and is tiny, having all the benefits associated... easy to park, very small turning circle etc.

Gutless and somewhat of an ugly duckling yeah, but the hatch is damn useful. Can't get a dishwasher in a Sedan or Coupe.

yes but a corolla can do all of that and better at it. the compact doesn't bring anything useful to the table until its engine dies and you put a 6 cylinder in and rip out the interior. unfortunately, after that it still looks like a compact :(

• Like 2

A corolla is terribly noisy and uncomfortable on a roadtrip with hard, horrible seats .

The compact is comfortable, quiet and rides well as you would expect a BMW to, with comfortable seats.

But apart from that yeah it's no better than a corolla. A corolla that won't kill your back and ears on a roadtrip.

Edited by huff3r
  • Like 1

Drive a 225i in anger and then see how you feel. While not the most visually appealing car, the drive on them is very good for a front wheel drive car. Almost makes you forget that it is front wheel drive, right up until the moment you get torque steer.