Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Harness and fixed back seat

I'd like to do some events that require a race seat and harness. For these to be road legal what is required?

Car is an e36, early model with no airbag
Seats are Raetech 1000's 
Belts are 6 point FIA rated. 

Current thoughts are to make up a half cage and attach seatbelt anchors through the floor with the recommended size doubler plates.

From here is where I'm a bit lost.

Do I need a cert?

Or do should I get it homologated? 

Can I just use the standard diagonal belts on the road and not do anything? I haven't sized this up yet and it seems like a bad idea

Any help will be really appreciated

Half cage + authority card 

I did lots of reading a few months back and I think you can get away with a half cage and belts on a cert. 

That's the direction I'm going and I was trying to avoid going the motorsport route. 

Talk to your Cert tech as he will be making the final decision . 

Seats and belts are covered on motorsports authority card, and if you are getting them because you need them for events then ticking up 2 motorsports nz approved events every year to keep authority card won't be hard.

You don't need a half cage, you can either get a harness bar or attach the shoulder straps to the sturdy headrest attachment on the parcel tray but it would be up to the scrutineer whether this was strong enough. The angle would be correct though.

If you get ahalf cage then build it to motorsports nz specs and get it homologated. 

Also I believe you will have to remove your standard belts, bit that might just be if you are running a full cage.

Edited by huff3r

What event would you be entering that "require" a race seat and harnesses?

I have done a few club-sport events that only require a fire extinguisher, including Targa tour, track sprints and road sprints.. can't think of any that require a race seat.

12 hours ago, aja540i said:

2 door or 4?

2 door

4 hours ago, Apex said:

What event would you be entering that "require" a race seat and harnesses?

I have done a few club-sport events that only require a fire extinguisher, including Targa tour, track sprints and road sprints.. can't think of any that require a race seat.

I didn't realize some of those events didn't require a seat and harness. Only event other than those is the production race series.

Thanks all.

My thoughts at this stage are: run it like it is but start the authority card process. eg get everything ready to slap in. 

Having a decent seat and harness will help immensely when going fast.

I daily drove my Targa car with a full cage and race seats for a couple of years, was not so bad.. I would retain a simple lap/slash belt if you can though, nothing more annoying than getting all harnessed in and forgetting something and having to un-do it then buckle it all back up.. even leaving your sunglasses on the dash requires an unstrap of the harness to reach them, it can be annoying.

Best of luck. There are plenty of good authority card inspectors out there and if you enter a couple of club-sport events a year and have the log book stamped you won't need to have the car inspected yearly.

My first port of call would be joining a car club, from there find out about events and local inspectors etc. Can recommend Pukekohe car club, they are quite active and have some great events.

Getting a Clubsport licence is easy also.

Oh, one down side is that only people with motorsport licences can drive your car, so you can't have your mates drive it, or the missus etc... I got my girlfriend to get a National Rally licence, told her she could have a drive of my car.. Then she realised that my fixed race seat meant she can't reach the pedals. Win win. 

• Like 2