Sign in to follow this  
Haggis

Alfa 156 2.5 q-system vs e46 325ci auto

We're interested in getting an E46 convertible but they're (virtually) all autos, and I'm a little worried that I might hate the gearbox. I'm pretty uninspired by some auto boxes I've driven.

The only BMW I have ever driven was an E38 730i — about 10 years old at the time. The little V8 was lovely, and I was very surprised by how beautifully it handled for such a big car. But the thing is, I couldn't buy it for one reason — for me, the auto was horrible. It felt like you'd put your foot down, count to three, and then off you'd go. (apologies to anyone here who owns one of these lol)

So instead of the 730i we bought an Alfa 156 2.5 with the Q-system auto, owned for about 10 years (in Australia, sold this week) which even with my preference for manuals I thought was really a very good automatic. It was always in the right gear, kicks down as your speed drops, holds on appropriately if you're pushing it.

Likewise the little A-class 5-speed auto we had seemed fine to me.

So... just wondering if anyone has driven both the E46 and an Alfa with auto? If I liked the Alfa's auto will I like the E46?

I'd just go for a test drive in an E46, but being in Oamaru it's kind of a long drive to anywhere with a dealer currently advertising an E46 :( Anyone live in/near Oamaru and willing to give me a drive? :) 

Edited by Haggis

If it's the same box as the Jatco E36, the way to have a bit more fun around the twisty bits is to put it in sports mode and hold it in 3rd. Makes a big difference.

The auto in the E46 is a long way from the E38 you test drove, but yes you still need to drive one. Pretty sure later E46, if not all, had "steptronic" shifting through gears if you want to pretend you are driving a manual when you want a bit of fun, not the quickest changes but at least you can choose the shift point. Try a normal E46 auto, a coupe would be closest, to see how you feel about the drive in that if you can't find an E46 vert near you.

If I were being honest any convertible is more a Sunday cruiser rather than a sports car, even an M3 convertible. Due to the extra weight from stiffening the body and the blunted driving dynamics from the loss of rigidity they aren't as sharp and focussed in the handling / performance stakes. As such I would say that a GOOD auto is more suited to a convertible, plus there will be more choice to find a good one and better chance of selling when you want to move it on.

The ZF 5 speed auto is a reasonably good box as far as shift quality goes and being a tiptronic it does allow for some manual control. I use mine daily on the 50 odd corners through the Valley to get home and apart from it upshifting if you hit the rev limit it works well.  would say that after a full trans service at 180,000 kms the shift quality improved dramatically. However if you want a manual then that's what you you should get, but be prepared to add another 4-5k onto your budget, realise you may have to wait a number of months and dont be upset when you can't find a manual in your colour etc.  

Thanks for the replies... I've realised it was a pretty vague question :) and that I really just need to drive one. However it's good to hear that it's nothing related to the E38 box. I haven't seen a single manual for sale in the (short) time I've been looking so pretty much resigned to auto. Will post back once I've driven one!

The main issue I have with the E46 (and most BMW's) is the very stiff throttle pedal. This could atribute to the lag you experienced. They have softened off the pedals in later models, its an improvement in my humble opinion.

The E46 is a lovely car though, well balanced and with the six cylinder they sound glorious. The interior is also very pretty.

Best of luck with the research. 

3 hours ago, Apex said:

The main issue I have with the E46 (and most BMW's) is the very stiff throttle pedal. This could atribute to the lag you experienced. They have softened off the pedals in later models, its an improvement in my humble opinion.

The E46 is a lovely car though, well balanced and with the six cylinder they sound glorious. The interior is also very pretty.

Best of luck with the research. 

just the early cars had the throttle cables m52 and m43 .later m54, s54 and n42 engines etc all have drive by wire