Sign in to follow this  
hqstu

The e39 M5 arrives

Merry Christmas to me...

After 2 visits to view car, I made the offer and it is mine... a 3rd trip on the buses and trains to Auckland to drive it south..

I'm essentially the 3rd private owner, last owner 10 years, with a pile of receipts...

So far it's had a damn good clean (wasn't even vacuumed), 2 oils leaks fixed (filler cap and sump drain plug), the lights sanded and polished, the interior mirror glass replaced, and more parts on the way...   and more and more cleaning and detailing....

Drives good... mostly everything works... but got a big list of things to do.... wheels, emblems, windscreen trim, fan clutch, filters etc etc.

large.20161228_171213.jpg.a1ba5dde2269b1

large.20161228_171248.jpg.dd350a85378098

large.20161228_143620.jpg.b66ff762bc1eb1

large.20161228_113049.jpg.c863ccda9ec00c

• Like 16

Congrats, good score. It must be about the last car sold here new, only 22 RHD made after yours!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DC3 said:

Congrats, good score. It must be about the last car sold here new, only 22 RHD made after yours!

Thanks Dave, (where do you get the stats from?)

It never fails to surprise me as to how unpresented some cars are for sale.  I'm sure if the previous owner had thrown just a little bit of attention and coin at it, then someone as stupid as me would have paid much more for something like this...

Stu, details of M5's at M5portal.com

And more has been paid, up around $40k recently. I see in the UK prices have risen lately.

With help from a couple of M5 owners in Auckland (Martin and Glenn) I have recorded  E39 M5's in NZ as they have appeared, now 31 (so far) including your car.

You have an excellent model to work on, I've read on M5board.com that some owners have topped 300k miles with reliability.

Edited by DC3
omissions
  • Like 1

Nice find. 

I know your going to enjoy it. How could you not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kopua Cowboy said:

Very nice Stu. Given you have now driven the 530 and the M5 back to back, just how big is the difference in handling?

Hey Colin, actually haven't driven the M5 that much yet.  Waiting on a fan clutch before driving in earnest as I'd hate to get stuck in hot holiday traffic knowing my fan was doing zipp and only relying on the ac pusher fan.  But there doesn't feel much in it so far.  I'm really enjoying the 530 at the moment and off the line and around town it feels more "nimble" being an auto and lighter in the front.  Spotted its topas twin today at Mt Maunganui when I was over there.

If the twin is the one I am used to seeing, it is a 540. Very interesting to hear, thanks for that. One of the reasons I went for a 530 over a 540 is that nicer more direct feeling front end. I'm sure any differences will become much more obvious when driven hard.

Have... err "fun" with that ///M tax on your new ride :)

Hey Stu - nice one!   Great to see another e39 M5 on the board!  Enjoy the journey of tidying and then thrashing!  They are a great all rounder.

• Like 1

Some more (better) photos...
DSC03235.JPGDSC03234.JPGDSC03236.JPGDSC03237.JPG

• Like 9

Hi There

Are you at all looking to sell this car....as I am looking to buy a E39 M5

Markus 021 810 391

44 minutes ago, M5MAX said:

240,000KM ?

Yes 244k now, just fitted new radiator and thermostat as well as replace hoses and belts etc whilst in there.  Car has just gone in on Monday to have wheels fully refurbished and headlights sorted (adjusters and aiming system).  After that it's all done for a while, and I need to drive it, as well as cool the credit card down...:D